SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations For Next Year

geaux_sioux

Will there be any new recruits they haven't signed yet that would possibly come next year?

Austin Matthews is the lead one available.  Reportedly he is deciding between the WHL, BC, BU, Mich, Wisconsin, Denver and UND.  Early projections he will be the #1 pick in next years NHL draft.  He is from Scottsdale, AZ.

Auston Matthews is the lead one available.  Reportedly he is deciding between the WHL, BC, BU, Mich, Wisconsin, Denver and UND.  Early projections he will be the #1 pick in next years NHL draft.  He is from Scottsdale, AZ.

Austin Matthews is the lead one available.  Reportedly he is deciding between the WHL, BC, BU, Mich, Wisconsin, Denver and UND.  Early projections he will be the #1 pick in next years NHL draft.  He is from Scottsdale, AZ.

At a certain point does Hak not being able to win the FF become a deciding factor?  

We were all hoping Toews, Oshie, or Parise would of been one of those guys. SMH

I realize their pro careers have lots of resumé to be written yet, but at this point, are the careers of Oshie and Parise deemed to be failures? Between the two of them, they account for 0 Stanley Cups. I certainly don't think so - they are both exceptional players and teammates.

I realize their pro careers have lots of resumé to be written yet, but at this point, are the careers of Oshie and Parise deemed to be failures? Between the two of them, they account for 0 Stanley Cups.

No because Toews and Greene are hogging them all, and we know where they came from.  :)

Does anyone think next years team will be better than this years team? I know there are a lot of factors like guys leaving early but let's assume the ones that should stay do. We lose a gritty senior class but if we're honest, not the most skilled. We replace them with snipers. Our problem against Boston, other than Zanes off night, was that we didn't finish enough of the chances we had, and there were plenty to have overcome Zanes softies.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the experience lost can be made up for in skill level, but that won't be a given. If Stecher stays and can impart his work ethic I like what we have. Imagine that Duluth and Denver would be 2 of the early favorites if there aren't any early departures, and Omaha if they can find a decent replacement for Massa will be a team to deal with. We know one thing is the league will always be a dogfight, and if you can come out of it standing you should be set up to make the tourney.

Parks and MacMillan never really developed the scoring touch I thought they would after their freshman seasons.  In terms of high end production, the last two years for UND have been anomalies.  Next year is when we start getting back to having a leading scorer with 45 or so points.

Parks and MacMillan never really developed the scoring touch I thought they would after their freshman seasons. In terms of high end production, the last two years for UND have been anomalies. Next year is when we start getting back to having a leading scorer with 45 or so points.

I don't remember the last time we landed 3 USHL guys who score like Gersich Boeser and Wilke. Have we?

I don't remember the last time we landed 3 USHL guys who score like Gersich Boeser and Wilke. Have we?

Not quite as good as this year's crop, but in 2008-2009, Mike Cichy led the USHL in goals, Michael Forney was a top 15 guy, and Danny Kristo was a top 20ish guy. 

Cichy and Forney combined for a total of 5 goals in their combined 67 games for the Sioux.

Kristo turned out okay :)

Also interesting, USHL Goal Leaders: (School - Freshman Stats in Parenthesis)

2002-2003: Ryan Potulney (MN - 6-8-14)

2003-2004: Matthew Ford (WI - 5-5-10) / Mike Erickson (WM - 13-11-24)*

2004-2005: Andrew Carroll (UMD - 13-10-23)

2005-2006: Matt Schepke (MSU - 3-2-5)**

2006-2007: Jacob Cepis (BGSU - 15-16-31)

2007-2008: Jason Gregoire (UND - 12-17-29)

2008-2009: Mike Cichy (UND - 2-2-4) / Andy Taranto (AK - 18-24-42)

2009-2010: Matt White (UNO - 14-11-25) / Tyler Barnes (WI - 5-12-17) / Anders Lee (ND - 24-20-44)

2010-2011: Danill Tarasov (DNP)

2011-2012: Kevin Roy (NE - 17-17-34)

2012-2013: Taylor Cammarata (MN - 10-17-27)

2013-2014: Matt Iacopelli (Still in USHL - committed to WM)

*Erickson started out at Minnesota, then went back to USHL and transferred to Western.  Those stats represent his Junior Season, or first year at Western.

** Schepke started out at Michigan Tech, then went back to USHL and transferred to Michigan State.  Those stats represent his Sophomore Season, or first year at Michigan State.

Can't find an archive for 2000-2001 USHL season, but it seems to me Brandon Bochenski, James Massen, and Brian Canady were all high in goal scoring that season. Only Bochenski carried that over to become an elite scorer in college, so it's not a given these guys will make an immediate impact in college, but you would expect given the opportunity they are going to get, one or two of them should put up some decent numbers. I really thought that Cammarata would be scoring more for Minnesota being how dominant he was in the USHL, but then again he isn't done yet, and maybe he just had a sophomore slump. I really like the fact that we have guys coming in who aren't afraid to shoot the puck, much like Bochenski.

Not quite as good as this year's crop, but in 2008-2009, Mike Cichy led the USHL in goals, Michael Forney was a top 15 guy, and Danny Kristo was a top 20ish guy. 

Cichy and Forney combined for a total of 5 goals in their combined 67 games for the Sioux.

Kristo turned out okay :)

Also interesting, USHL Goal Leaders: (School - Freshman Stats in Parenthesis)

2002-2003: Ryan Potulney (MN - 6-8-14)

2003-2004: Matthew Ford (WI - 5-5-10) / Mike Erickson (WM - 13-11-24)*

2004-2005: Andrew Carroll (UMD - 13-10-23)

2005-2006: Matt Schepke (MSU - 3-2-5)**

2006-2007: Jacob Cepis (BGSU - 15-16-31)

2007-2008: Jason Gregoire (UND - 12-17-29)

2008-2009: Mike Cichy (UND - 2-2-4) / Andy Taranto (AK - 18-24-42)

2009-2010: Matt White (UNO - 14-11-25) / Tyler Barnes (WI - 5-12-17) / Anders Lee (ND - 24-20-44)

2010-2011: Danill Tarasov (DNP)

2011-2012: Kevin Roy (NE - 17-17-34)

2012-2013: Taylor Cammarata (MN - 10-17-27)

2013-2014: Matt Iacopelli (Still in USHL - committed to WM)

*Erickson started out at Minnesota, then went back to USHL and transferred to Western.  Those stats represent his Junior Season, or first year at Western.

** Schepke started out at Michigan Tech, then went back to USHL and transferred to Michigan State.  Those stats represent his Sophomore Season, or first year at Michigan State.

Thanks for posting those stats. Just goes to show you that success at one level doesn't necessarily mean success at the college level, especially early on. A lot of those guys were average college players at best.

Thanks for posting those stats. Just goes to show you that success at one level doesn't necessarily mean success at the college level, especially early on. A lot of those guys were average college players at best.

Agreed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we got some scoring punch coming in, but I also wouldn't be overly optimistic that these guys are going to come in and be great.  Given that this is an expectation thread, my expectations from each of them would be something around 10-12 goals, and maybe 25-30 points.