SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

Are you kidding me?! You would want 10 years of below .500 hockey, no home playoffs, no NCHC tournament; for ONE title....... That would set the program back years! I for one would rather have the chance to be contenders every year than sell ourselves out for one title!

I agree with you I'll take my chances being contenders every year.

I don't want to be the Miami Marlins of college hockey; where you win one title and than go into obscurity for the next 10-20 years!

Okay, I am sick of this red herring being thrown around and not being answered with logic.

That is a false choice:  Either win 25 games a year and no national titles or win a national title every 5 years and suck in-between.

Look at Boston College during the past 15 years.  Yes, they have some runner-up finishes.  Yes, they have years where they don't do anything in the post-season (like this year).  But they also have 5 NCAA titles during that time period (average of one every three years if you are counting at home).  And they are a consistent winner every year.

But here come the usual responses:

#butparity

#butoneanddone

#buthotgoalie

#butluckybounces

#butstarsaren'taligned

#butJerryYorkhasn'tretiredyet

Great programs bring home the bacon when they have the horses to do it.  Merely good programs settle for "just being there".  The next step down is being a mid-major program and I will never accept that.  Ever.

Flame away.

• Upvote 1

university of north dakota hockey is a machine that with its limitless resources will kick out a 70% winning percentage almost every damn year without even checking the oil...hak is totally replaceable....we need a winner and hak aint that person...

• Upvote 1

Okay, I am sick of this red herring being thrown around and not being answered with logic.

That is a false choice:  Either win 25 games a year and no national titles or win a national title every 5 years and suck in-between.

Look at Boston College during the past 15 years.  Yes, they have some runner-up finishes.  Yes, they have years where they don't do anything in the post-season (like this year).  But they also have 5 NCAA titles during that time period (average of one every three years if you are counting at home).  And they are a consistent winner every year.

#butparity

#butoneanddone

#buthotgoalie

#butluckybounces

#butstarsaren'taligned

Great programs bring home the bacon when they have the horses to do it.  Merely good programs settle for "just being there".  The next step down is being a mid-major program and I will never accept that.  Ever.

Flame away.

exactly...don't know people have to say its either this or that...plus bc has big time football to fund too....well put

• Upvote 1

Hak isn't going anywhere.  Rational minds realize it would crazy to fire a coach who has taken his team to the tournament every year, and to the Frozen Four 7 times.

The only way he gets fired is if the team goes in the tank for 3-4 years, missing the tournament, missing the conference tournament, etc...

You guys might as well get used to it, or start complaining about the weather. 

Sure UND has not won a title in 15 years.  But the people on this board who would trade in all the success we have had in the last decade for 1 National Championship are crazy.  Look at a team like Michigan State.  Yep, they got their Natty in 2007.  Since then, they have averaged 16 wins a season, have ZERO conference Championships, ZERO Conference Tournament Championships, ZERO Frozen Four appearences, 4 losing seasons, and have made the playoffs only 2 of the last 8 seasons since winning it all in 2007.

So I will ask you, would you rather have one great year and then 8 dismal years, or cheer for a team that wins conference tournament titles, regular season titles, and makes Frozen Four apearances!!!

university of north dakota hockey is a machine that with its limitless resources will kick out a 70% winning percentage almost every damn year without even checking the oil...hak is totally replaceable....we need a winner and hak aint that person...

So Hak should get no credit for winning 25 games a year but also get all the blame when we lose in the NCAA tournament? That makes perfect sense Hak is a very good coach and will be a great coach when he wins a NCAA Championship. You can think Hak is "totally replaceable" if you want but it isn't true.

• Upvote 1

So Hak should get no credit for winning 25 games a year but also get all the blame when we lose in the NCAA tournament? That makes perfect sense Hak is a very good coach and will be a great coach when he wins a NCAA Championship. You can think Hak is "totally replaceable" if you want but it isn't true.

yes

You know why he doesn't get full and unquestioned credit for his regular season wins vs. post season failures at North Dakota?  Because every coach before him did the exact same thing as far as wins go.  Its been 40 years since a coach really struggled at UND.  

• Upvote 1

Sure UND has not won a title in 15 years.  But the people on this board who would trade in all the success we have had in the last decade for 1 National Championship are crazy.  Look at a team like Michigan State.  Yep, they got their Natty in 2007.  Since then, they have averaged 16 wins a season, have ZERO conference Championships, ZERO Conference Tournament Championships, ZERO Frozen Four appearences, 4 losing seasons, and have made the playoffs only 2 of the last 8 seasons since winning it all in 2007.

So I will ask you, would you rather have one great year and then 8 dismal years, or cheer for a team that wins conference tournament titles, regular season titles, and makes Frozen Four apearances!!!

Again, that is a false choice.  Or red herring.  Or straw man.  Or whatever you wish to call it.

If you think #nattysdon'tmatter or #nattysaren'tthatimportant, that is your perrogative.  But don't use faulty logic to justify your stance.

• Upvote 1

Hak isn't going anywhere.  Rational minds realize it would crazy to fire a coach who has taken his team to the tournament every year, and to the Frozen Four 7 times.

The only way he gets fired is if the team goes in the tank for 3-4 years, missing the tournament, missing the conference tournament, etc...

You guys might as well get used to it, or start complaining about the weather. 

I don't have to and won't "get used to it".  I already complain about the weather (who doesn't).

#butparity

#butoneanddone

#buthotgoalie

#butluckybounces

#butstarsaren'taligned

Flame away.

So you think UND's coaches, players and staff that put their asses on the line every day settle for being there?

Have they ever struck you as a team that has the "happy to be here" attitude at the Frozen Four?

It's asinine that because some fans enjoy consistently having a shot in the last weekend of the year equates to the team settling for anything. Go tell MacMillan he settled for only getting to the Frozen Four and not skating, go tell Hak he settled by only winning a league championship and losing in the Frozen Four, and tell Pattyn he settled in his career as a Sioux player when he's shaking hands with his left arm because he can't lift the right one.

Report back to us on their reply when you tell them they "settled".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You know why he doesn't get full and unquestioned credit for his regular season wins vs. post season failures at North Dakota?  Because every coach before him did the exact same thing as far as wins go.  Its been 40 years since a coach really struggled at UND.  

It isn't only that people don't give him enough credit for 25+ wins it is that he has led us to the NCAA tournament every year and given us a chance at a National Championship is that something every UND coach for the last 40 years has done? 

So you think UND's coaches, players and staff that put their asses on the line every day settle for being there?

Have they ever struck you as a team that has the "happy to be here" attitude at the Frozen Four?

It's asinine that because some fans enjoy consistently having a shot in the last weekend of the year equates to the team settling for anything. Go tell MacMillan he settled for only getting to the Frozen Four and not skating, go tell Hak he settled by only winning a league championship and losing in the Frozen Four, and tell Pattyn he settled in his career as a Sioux player when he's shaking hands with his left arm because he can't lift the right one.

Report back to us on their reply when you tell them they "settled".

I am talking about the fan base, not the coaches and/or players.  Nice try, please play again.

• Upvote 1

I am talking about the fan base, not the coaches and/or players.  Nice try, please play again.

Who's settling?  One can be disappointed that the team hasn't won a national championship while enjoying what they have accomplished.  It isn't one or the other despite what you seem to keep insisting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So fans are settling because they aren't stupid enough to want one of the best coaches in college hockey fired? Everybody is disappointed we haven't won a title in a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still take the overall success the program has had in the last 15 years. We may not have won one, but the team is always there at the end, and that's all one could ask. Some of you might be a little young but there were some lean years in some of those stretches. Lean enough were Men's and Women's basketball was out drawing men's hockey. I have confidence Dave will get one eventually.

What?  It is the other side arguing that it's either one or the other, not me.

You are the one claiming that some fans are somehow "settling" because they are enjoying the success that they have had even though it doesn't including winning a national championship.

#butparity

#butoneanddone

#buthotgoalie

#butluckybounces

#butstarsaren'taligned

Flame away.

...and yes, you literally did say good programs settle for "just being there".

Again, that is a false choice.  Or red herring.  Or straw man.  Or whatever you wish to call it.

If you think #nattysdon'tmatter or #nattysaren'tthatimportant, that is your perrogative.  But don't use faulty logic to justify your stance.

National Championships do matter.  Every team wants to win one at the end of the season.  My point is that we are spoiled as UND fans. Sure we expect National Titles every year.  But when we don't win one, some diminish the accomplishments of the season.  I am not saying that I have accepted not winning National Championships and winning conference titles and making a trip to the Frozen Four is good enough.  Just saying that we need to appreciate they type of program we have and appreciate that our program is at the level where we do expect national titles year in and year out.  Not many programs are at that level. 

• Upvote 1