SiouxSports.com Forum

Green meadowlarks?

cowboys5xsbs

This was one of the dumbest things to be put into print. If UND does this they can expect to take a hit on alumni contributions. It was bad enough to take away the Fighting Sioux name, but replace it with this garbage and you will only do more damage.

Just stay "University of North Dakota", Nothing else is needed.

• Upvote 1

This was one of the dumbest things to be put into print. If UND does this they can expect to take a hit on alumni contributions. It was bad enough to take away the Fighting Sioux name, but replace it with this garbage and you will only do more damage.

Just stay "University of North Dakota", Nothing else is needed.

Boom!

I talked with many fans this weekend in Minneapolis and that was by far what people wanted.  I wish someone with some pull would spearhead this effort to make it a reality.  There has been bantering at nauseam if it is legal or not, but it needs to be addressed.  It also needs to be addressed by someone that wont just roll over like Kelley and co.  I don't want to hear "we have asked the NCAA if it is ok and they said no" which was followed by a snide wink-wink between the two parties.  The cause needs to organize and do it fast before something lame like the Green Meadowlarks becomes a reality!

Rough Riders.   End of Discussion.  I dont understand how these ridiculous nicknames ever see the light of day...  Green meadowlarks???  i thought flickertails was lame but good god that ones attrocious... 

The nickname "Rough Riders" works, and will catch on without a doubt.  It has hometown roots, the alliteration sounds great, would be easy to make an amazing logo.. repeat after me "Heeeere's your university of north dakota rough riders SCOOOOOORING!!!"    yea that felt good didnt it

Also coming out to DMX's Ruff Ryders anthem would bring the F@$#^ING house down.  Everyone under the age of 30 is familiar with the song, it could be edited/mashed up to remove anything explicit.  

***Dead quiet arena, lights off, green LEDs on...  song intro comes on   "Stop, Drop, Shut em down open up shop!"

Go home, you're drunk! .... and clearly stuck in another decade if you are listening to DMX. "University of North Dakota" ....  is all the nickname I need.

• Upvote 1

Rough Riders.   End of Discussion.  I dont understand how these ridiculous nicknames ever see the light of day...  Green meadowlarks???  i thought flickertails was lame but good god that ones attrocious... 

The nickname "Rough Riders" works, and will catch on without a doubt.  It has hometown roots, the alliteration sounds great, would be easy to make an amazing logo.. repeat after me "Heeeere's your university of north dakota rough riders SCOOOOOORING!!!"    yea that felt good didnt it

Also coming out to DMX's Ruff Ryders anthem would bring the F@$#^ING house down.  Everyone under the age of 30 is familiar with the song, it could be edited/mashed up to remove anything explicit.  

***Dead quiet arena, lights off, green LEDs on...  song intro comes on   "Stop, Drop, Shut em down open up shop!"

I actually never thought of that for some reason

Go home, you're drunk! .... and clearly stuck in another decade if you are listening to DMX. "University of North Dakota" ....  is all the nickname I need.

I actually don't HATE  Rough Riders .... BUT I strongly oppose any new nickname. Given the option of that or Green Meadowlark, everyone's choice is fairly clear.

You folks are way way too wound up over some fish wrap column filler's mindless musings.

All this person did is take the statements from the "expert" (that schools to tend to use a color and a bird) and come up with something they thought to be cute.

The writer could have just as easily come up with something just as < gag > original like "Black Hawks" or "White Owls" or "Green Falcons".  

You folks are way way too wound up over some fish wrap column filler's mindless musings.

All this person did is take the statements from the "expert" (that schools to tend to use a color and a bird) and come up with something they thought to be cute.

The writer could have just as easily come up with something just as < gag > original like "Black Hawks" or "White Owls" or "Green Falcons".  

There are 4 types of owls in ND which are year round residents. Thanks for the rabbit hole

100 percent agree. but i dont think we will have the option of no nickname. and i really havent heard anybody say they HATE Rough Riders. but i have heard many people say they HATE basically everything else thats being thrown out there. Its not the best option, but its the only option that everyone will be able to live with and might gain traction.. my opinion

Am I invisible? Lol

Just for the record, yet again, for the thousandth time on here for reasons I've already discussed ad nauseum, I HATE Roughriders. (Sigh). that felt good.

You really think the NC-Double-A-holes would let us have Black Hawks? :). Sounds similar to another team, hmmmm.
  • Upvote 1

There are 4 types of owls in ND which are year round residents. Thanks for the rabbit hole

< jumping into same rabbit hole > 

The apex predator raptor of the region is the great horned owl, aka the hoot owl. So gfhockey, how do you feel about hoo ... nevermind. :D

And since we're down the rabbit hole, I actually saw a bald eagle cruising over a section of the Sheyenne River during my travels just the other day. (Here's where someone mentions that raptor is on the state flag ... ) 

< / rabbit hole > 

• Upvote 1

Y'all need to grasp that this is a story in the FARGO Forum using someone from Northern Arizona University as the consulting expert. Cannot believe it has ANY traction anywhere outside this fan forum.

I am 28 and have no idea what you are talking about...
  • Upvote 1

Rough Riders. End of Discussion. I dont understand how these ridiculous nicknames ever see the light of day... Green meadowlarks??? i thought flickertails was lame but good god that ones attrocious...

The nickname "Rough Riders" works, and will catch on without a doubt. It has hometown roots, the alliteration sounds great, would be easy to make an amazing logo.. repeat after me "Heeeere's your university of north dakota rough riders SCOOOOOORING!!!" yea that felt good didnt it

Also coming out to DMX's Ruff Ryders anthem would bring the F@$#^ING house down. Everyone under the age of 30 is familiar with the song, it could be edited/mashed up to remove anything explicit.

***Dead quiet arena, lights off, green LEDs on... song intro comes on "Stop, Drop, Shut em down open up shop!"

This is why so many of us want no nickname! The negatives to Roughriders has been discussed thoroughly on this board already.

Honestly the first thing I thought of when hearing meadowlark was the guy who was in the globetrotters.

Me too. I understand Meadowlark since it's the state bird, but why green in front of it, at least say fighting meadowlarks.