SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

Have you looked into that at all? ???

Yeah, he had a one year penalty for not giving information to investigators (show cause penalty). Don't get hung up on that tho. Can't talk about your boss (Head Coach Bruce Pearl) doing illegal things and expect to keep your job or get another one when you need to. 

ETSU only had basketball as a revenue sport, but they are restarting football this fall. I live near ETSU, and nearly every business around ETSU sports "Go Bucs" or "Go ETSU" signs for fifty miles around it. That's more people than ND. ETSU has nice facilities on campus, their building a new outdoor football stadium, their President believes in athletics, and it not just a directional school. ETSU has a med school and it wants to be the equivalent of U of Memphis (which used to be WTSU). The other thing is Shay has all the contacts with Tennessee and SE HS coaches.

ETSU fans and their admin expect to make the dance often, as they have done in the past. Losing seasons are not an option. Their previous President dropped football, which caused the Southern Conference to kick them out, so they had to join the Atlantic Sun. Same crap that UAB is going through. ETSU is rebuilding what they had.

Their located 107 miles from The University of Tennessee. I can't imagine UT only reaches out within in 50 miles of Knoxville. I couldn't find any current data on etsu' bball attendance, but an article from a couple years ago was talking about poor attendance and averaging a little over 3,000 people per game. ETSU is in a town of 65,000 not that much different than GF. And again, UND is a/the flagship school in ND. Nothing against ETSU's program, just shows that UND men's basketball is not a priority. Hopefully our administration figures out that an appearance by the men's team in the big dance has numerous positive benefits for the University and starts investing in it a bit more.

• Upvote 1

The ship is sinking ,handwriting is on the wall...lions, tigers, and bears oh my!  Jones will need an outstanding coaching job next season to make the Big Sky Playoffs and get rewarded with another contract extension..yup Jones will have to work a miracle to make the playoffs with a sinking ship.

Their located 107 miles from The University of Tennessee. I can't imagine UT only reaches out within in 50 miles of Knoxville. I couldn't find any current data on etsu' bball attendance, but an article from a couple years ago was talking about poor attendance and averaging a little over 3,000 people per game. ETSU is in a town of 65,000 not that much different than GF. And again, UND is a/the flagship school in ND. Nothing against ETSU's program, just shows that UND men's basketball is not a priority. Hopefully our administration figures out that an appearance by the men's team in the big dance has numerous positive benefits for the University and starts investing in it a bit more.

Johnson City is part of the TriCities, with Bristol and Kingsport. There are a lot of nearby smaller 10-20k smaller towns like Jonesboro, Church Hill, Elizabethton, Greenville, Abingdon, Rogersville, Morristown etc and suburban areas that are not incorporated. The area makes up the 1st Congressional District of Tn, so the NE part of TN has almost 600k. Most of the Appalachian Rookie baseball circuit is within a 30 mile radius (Elizbethton Twins are the Twins rookie franchise).

UT and Va Tech are more popular with the T-shirt and Walmart crowd, but if a business displays Go Vols in their window, it would piss off the Hokie fans. SW Va has no business center, so the TriCities is where many SW Virginians migrate to or at least shop. A lot of Hokies around here. Showing support for ETSU doesnt threaten either of those two fan bases. Many of the more educated young people wear ETSU garb. ETSU moved basketball off campus to Johnson City's Freedom Hall, a city arena. ETSU has built new baseball, softball, and soccer stadiums, and the student apartments built near campus are also impressive. Their dome on campus is used as a practice center and for Womens basketball. A Convocation Center is next after the football stadium is built, as a dome just doesn't fly with their fans. Tenn has free JC and vocational school for HS seniors with decent grades, so ETSU has to work to get students now. Athletics is part of its Presidents push.

I never said he was quality, but he was good enough for the SEC. How is Jones going to replace him? That was the big question.

You inferred he was quality, but that's another dialog... Sure he was an assistant in a better conference, under a better coach, getting better players. He was brought in to coach bigs, how well have they progressed? I hope he enjoys his new school and position, and succeeds. He is coaching with someone he has coached with before. When you don't pay much, this happens. ***And I'm not advocating for pay raises, to be clear.

So assuming 4 players are leaving, we are left with 2 open scholarships. (Its 3, but 1 will go to hobaugh). Where would they go to.

Transfers, Juco, walk-on that has earned one, recruits that they have eye on but didn't have open scholarship. I'd put money on a transfer from another school who wants to get closer to home.

I never said he was quality, but he was good enough for the SEC. How is Jones going to replace him? That was the big question.

If I were Faison, I would not allow Jones to hire another assistant from the outside for next season, unless somebody else leaves. Promote Horner, and maybe add a grad assistant. I know of at least three other Big Sky schools that get by with three assistants: http://www.msubobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball#coaches_anchor 

Under the circumstances, that would seem to be the prudent move.

If I were Faison, I would not allow Jones to hire another assistant from the outside for next season, unless somebody else leaves. Promote Horner, and maybe add a grad assistant. I know of at least three other Big Sky schools that get by with three assistants: http://www.msubobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball#coaches_anchor

Why? How does this help your coach/team?

• Upvote 1

Why? How does this help your coach/team?

It saves money, for one thing. Personally, I feel that four assistants is overkill for a low-major program. Either put the savings away for some other pressing need within the basketball program (there are clearly some of those), or use some of it to increase the pay for the other three assistants (not necessarily advocating that one, but it's theoretically possible anyway).

• Upvote 2

It saves money, for one thing. Personally, I feel that four assistants is overkill for a low-major program. Either put the savings away for some other pressing need within the basketball program (there are clearly some of those), or use some of it to increase the pay for the other three assistants (not necessarily advocating that one, but it's theoretically possible anyway).I

I thought we had 3 assistants as it currently stands.  Do we have 4?   Shay, Grabowski, Dirden.   Horner was the Director of Basketball Ops. Per rules that position allows no or nearly no coaching or even scouting of opponents etc.- as I understand it.

I thought we had 3 assistants as it currently stands.  Do we have 4?   Shay, Grabowski, Dirden.   Horner was the Director of Basketball Ops. Per rules that position allows no or nearly no coaching or even scouting of opponents etc.- as I understand it.

I counted Horner as the fourth assistant. Jones was also a director of basketball operations immediately before he got the UND job. So if that isn't really considered a real coach, that brings up a whole other set of questions...

In any event, I would suggest UND follow the Montana St. model--three full-time assistants, which would be Dirden, Grabowski and Horner, plus perhaps a grad assistant.

I agree. As a rule of thumb, division 1 victories per year should be greater than the number of paid basketball staff. I believe this is the expectation standard we currently have in place. Aiming high indeed.

good grief.

He is trying to come up with ways to get the assistants more money so they stop leaving.  Isn't that what they need?

This program is a frickin disaster, only rivaled by the softball team on campus.  I wouldn't say they are above any suggestions at this point.  My first would be to get the kids going to class.  My second would be to try and recruit some kids who will actually care about UND Basketball while they are here and after they leave.  

Looks like league champion Eastern Washington gets it done with just three assistants. Elsewhere, well ...

The other teams with a lesser number of assistants appear to be fellow cellar-dwellers Montana State, and Idaho State. Southern Utah, one step up the ladder this year, does also.  U of Montana? 3 assistants plus director of basketball ops. Weber also carries three assistants plus director of basketball ops, as does Sacramento State. Northern Arizona appears to get by with 3 assistants, a director of basketball ops, a grad assistant, a recruiting coordinator and a "technology assistant."

For those fixated on Fargo and the Summit, the AC has 3 assistants, a director of basketball ops and a director of athletic performance. SDSU also has 3 assistants and a director of basketball ops. USD just three assistants.

Obviously, the 2014-15 season developed into an abysmal one, but I'm not clear how reducing resources translates into future success. Or are we transitioning into planning-to-fail mode?

He is trying to come up with ways to get the assistants more money so they stop leaving.  Isn't that what they need?

This program is a frickin disaster, only rivaled by the softball team on campus.  I wouldn't say they are above any suggestions at this point.  My first would be to get the kids going to class.  My second would be to try and recruit some kids who will actually care about UND Basketball while they are here and after they leave.  

This is who should be tapped for an assistant job if there is going to be a replacement.  I dont know why they haven't gotten one here yet.  Yes maybe there wont be a replacement in order to pay more money, but it could all change next year.  Finally, fans/alumni need to voice there concerns for lack of commitment to the program and demand change.  There should be enough alumni alone to make this a big issue.  It wouldnt take much to make this a top program in the Big Sky, even at the mid-major level.

Looks like league champion Eastern Washington gets it done with just three assistants. Elsewhere, well ...

The other teams with a lesser number of assistants appear to be fellow cellar-dwellers Montana State, and Idaho State. Southern Utah, one step up the ladder this year, does also.  U of Montana? 3 assistants plus director of basketball ops. Weber also carries three assistants plus director of basketball ops, as does Sacramento State. Northern Arizona appears to get by with 3 assistants, a director of basketball ops, a grad assistant, a recruiting coordinator and a "technology assistant."

For those fixated on Fargo and the Summit, the AC has 3 assistants, a director of basketball ops and a director of athletic performance. SDSU also has 3 assistants and a director of basketball ops. USD just three assistants.

Obviously, the 2014-15 season developed into an abysmal one, but I'm not clear how reducing resources translates into future success. Or are we transitioning into planning-to-fail mode?

I will be perfectly honest with you. I don't think there's a very good chance Jones will be back after 2015-16, so I don't support the idea of bringing in a new assistant for one year. I don't think that's fair to that person, particularly when I believe Horner can be promoted, and a grad assistant can adequately perform the duties a director of basketball operations typically handles, at least for one year. Now, if one feels that there IS a realistic chance Jones has a future at UND beyond next season, then I understand why you might feel it's necessary to continue to have three assistants plus a director of basketball operations who is not a grad assistant.