SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

@CarsonShanks05: Now that he's officially done with his college career and not technically a "colleague" anymore, Frank Kaminsky is what I wanna become.

Exactly what I said and hope he becomes. Just don't think he has the quickness in him.

Big guys usually take a little longer to develop. What I look for is what type of skill set do they have. While Shanks struggled at times this year he has the skill set to be a big time player if he develops. The 7 footer can shoot the 3, has a mid range game, and has a nice little back to the basket game. If he adds strength and works hard on his game he could be a big time player. 

Does anybody have any information on whether Benton is or is not coming back? I believe there have only been two other situations under Jones like this, i.e. a fifth-year-senior-to-be on scholarship who played very little as a redshirt junior. Archer came back. Haugen did not. I don't really count Goodman due to his injuries.

Our buddy over at the BigSkyBball blog with an early look at next year:

8. North Dakota
Losses: Jaron Nash, Lenny Antwi, Chad Calcaterra, Ryan Salmonsen, Josiah Coleman, Kraig Shields
The sheer number of players leaving the program (either through graduation or transfer) is a bit exhausting, but it's not as bad as it looks. The biggest name is Jaron Nash, and though he was a very talented guy who could do a lot of things, at times he may have hurt the offense more than helped it. The other notable loss is Lenny Antwi, who followed up three OK years with a very solid senior season that saw him become a more consistent outside threat.

However, they still have some guys, especially in the backourt. Quinton Hooker took the big step forward that many people thought he would as a sophomore, becoming a steady PG with improved scoring punch. He will be an all-conference candidate type of player next year, and is easily their most important guy. He is joined in the backcourt by two transfers from last year who will be seniors - Estan Tyler and Terrell de Rouen. Tyler has the ability to be a very good scorer with a dangerous outside shot. De Rouen is the better defender of the two, but he shots a miserable 30% on over 100 threes last year - which quickly makes you a net negative offensively. Dustin Hobaugh is another guy that will get minutes, and can hit shots from anywhere on the court.

Up front is where there will be more question marks. The anchor will likely be Carson Shanks, who became eligible in the second semester last year, and flashed some skills. He was solid rebounding the ball, and showed some shot blocking chops. They are expecting growth from him. Bryce Cashman got some minutes as a freshman, and had an interesting time. He was 22/36 from the floor (great), but 8/24 from the free throw line (yeesh).

In the recruits that they have signed so far, it seems like there was an emphasis on wings, and they got some talented guys. I expect they will sign a JUCO big man or two to provide some depth and talent in the frontcourt, with immediate playing time being a lure for them.

After reaching the Big Sky title game two years, they predictably took a step back as guys graduated. However, they have more talent than you might think, and should compete in the middle of the Big Sky next season.

I'm not a big basketball guy, but I do like to watch the Sioux play. Realistically, where do the basketball folks see us next season. Middle of the pack? Competing at the top? Competitive in the Big Sky Tourney? Sounds like this Seales kid should be pretty good, I always like what I see out of Hooker, and Shanks showed alot of potential. Then again, I'm not a great basketball mind, so any insight would be appreciated.

I'm not a big basketball guy, but I do like to watch the Sioux play. Realistically, where do the basketball folks see us next season. Middle of the pack? Competing at the top? Competitive in the Big Sky Tourney? Sounds like this Seales kid should be pretty good, I always like what I see out of Hooker, and Shanks showed alot of potential. Then again, I'm not a great basketball mind, so any insight would be appreciated.

Fighting to make the BSC tourney due to a slow start with a lot of youth and transfers seeing heavy minutes.  

Fighting to make the BSC tourney due to a slow start with a lot of youth and transfers seeing heavy minutes.  

Well I guess we can hope for a surprise season. My in-laws are big Bison fans, and were very surprised to see the Bison have the season they did this year. I have to admit, it was pretty fun to watch that Werner kid against Gonzaga. How awkward can a guy look on the court, and still put up the points.

Go Sioux!

With our youth, I see us being middle of the pack during the season, with a chance to make a run in the conf. tournament.  The reason I think that we could make a run in the tournament is because we've got an excellent point guard, the 5 position could potentially be very strong by then, and our high-potential freshmen/RS freshman will hopefully no longer be playing like freshmen by tourney time.

I would expect us to be in the top tier of the conference the next 2-3 seasons after that.  

• 2 hours ago
    What are you guys hearing about Tyler and TDR?

• Rumors I was hearing earlier this offseason about the potential of one or both to leave have kind of died down. I'm hearing there's a chance both de Rouen and Tyler will be back.
    tmiller
    9a1228b8-eb29-4f01-91f7-4477d7f6a4a7.jpg

The possibility of Tyler and DeRouen coming back, along with the possibility of Baker and/or McKinley transferring in, means there is a lot uncertainty about the use of the last few scholarships. You have to assume Hooker, Shanks, Cashman, Crandall, Seales, Collins, Bernstine, McDermott and Avants will all be on scholarship. That's nine. That leaves four more for some combination of Tyler, DeRouen, Baker, McKinley, Benton, Hobaugh or possibly even some other newcomer(s).

Enough people have posted this to lead me to believe it's probably true, but it makes me wonder why it was that somebody--presumably close to the program--indicated to Miller that it was not yet a certainty?

Covering his @$$ cuz he doesnt have inside info?  :)  Though, I would wait for Tyler to speak before reporting anything too.  So, I guess, he is doing his job?

Covering his @$$ cuz he doesnt have inside info?  :)  Though, I would wait for Tyler to speak before reporting anything too.  So, I guess, he is doing his job?

I guess to me there's a difference between simply saying "I don't know" or "I haven't heard anything" and saying "I'm hearing he may be back". I don't think the return or non-return of a basketball player necessarily warrants much press coverage, and I completely understand why UND isn't going to confirm or deny anything when the player hasn't announced plans to transfer, but you would think it shouldn't be all that hard to confirm that he doesn't plan to return to the team next year. Tyler must have told some people about his plans, given the number of normally pretty reputable posters who don't seem to have any doubts about his non-return.

Congrats to Shay. Guessing Horner gets promoted which is a good move imo. Here's an interesting thought on someone for the ops position. Lucas Moorman (former NDSU player) who runs the ECI AAU program or Jordan Mauer who runs the ND Phenom program AAU program. No idea if either would be options or even interested, but would give the staff tons of local cred with Grabowski and one of those two. 

Between the poor 2014-15 record and mass exodus of players and coaches, I honestly don't have any lofty expectations for 2015-16. Will enjoy any success the MBB program happens to squeak out.

I'm mostly upset at the expectations set by the athletic administration at UND for UND MBB. It's ridiculous and Faison needs to wake up. Having a coach go into his 10th season with a losing record is certainly questionable, and the Betty needs upgrades.

• Upvote 1

Why would any person with one functioning

Knew that a long time ago

Huge hit
Ml

What u say about that hoopster?

Why would anybody with one functioning brain cell call this a "HUGE" Hit.? Assistant coaches come and go...Shay gets to go back to his old stomping grounds and gets a nice pay increase.  Was not a primary recruiter no big deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Between the poor 2014-15 record and mass exodus of players and coaches, I honestly don't have any lofty expectations for 2015-16. Will enjoy any success the MBB program happens to squeak out.

I'm mostly upset at the expectations set by the athletic administration at UND for UND MBB. It's ridiculous and Faison needs to wake up. Having a coach go into his 10th season with a losing record is certainly questionable, and the Betty needs upgrades.

It almost sounds like since Jones is close to the buyout Faison is killing time to make a move that is financially feasible. Anything short of a dance trip may not save Jones when the contract is up.

It almost sounds like since Jones is close to the buyout Faison is killing time to make a move that is financially feasible. Anything short of a dance trip may not save Jones when the contract is up.

Take your meds! Your fire Jones narrative has been WRONG FOR 453 days have you no pride..  take your garbage where it belongs to the fire jones thread

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1