SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU/SDSU

niouxsiouxfan

There were at least a few inquiries to the MVC, but they don't want your basketball.

When the Big Sky goes FBS, bison fans will be squealing to go there again.

The Slummit will be skewered when all is said and done.

Are you still spinning your crazy fantasies?

BTW, the MVC was not one of the conferences Darell76 mentioned.

Are you still spinning your crazy fantasies?

BTW, the MVC was not one of the conferences Darell76 mentioned.

I forgot about the MVC. I forget about the conferences Bison fans fantasize about joining by going to their fan sites to pump up their chest while those schools sit back and laugh. Just look at Bisonville plenty of WAC attack (then they folded) then MAC attack and even a Big 12 thread. Just ask Lakes how that's going.

Nothing about the SL.......just more national exposure for SU...which is deserved.

That's okay I am sure North Florida and Robert Morris will get the same exposure, once they lose the majority of basketball fans (especially those of big schools like Duke or Kentucky) won't know who NDSU is.

I forgot about the MVC. I forget about the conferences Bison fans fantasize about joining by going to their fan sites to pump up their chest while those schools sit back and laugh. Just look at Bisonville plenty of WAC attack (then they folded) then MAC attack and even a Big 12 thread. Just ask Lakes how that's going.

Funny that you bring up the Big XII... Wrestling kinda looks to be going there.

That's okay I am sure North Florida and Robert Morris will get the same exposure, once they lose the majority of basketball fans (especially those of big schools like Duke or Kentucky) won't know who NDSU is.

Driven by hunger, a fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine but was unable to, although he leaped with all his strength. As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet! I don't need any sour grapes. People who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain would do well to apply this story to themselves.

Really? Do you think the "Big Sky to FBS" thread has some of these same elements?

Huh? It certainly was an issue at the time NDSU was trying to get into the Big Sky. But, similar to UND, we needed a home for all of our sports and the BSC seemed to be the best shot. As I said before, NDSU was fortunate that Big Sky turned it down. Also, when did NDSU try to get into any of those other conferences?

Darrel=take it with a grain of salt

Nice cheap shot.  Is that how you always debate people?

I just cannot get excited about a league full of schools like IUPUI and IPFW.

It appears that your fans can't get excited about football or basketball games against schools like Portland St, Sac St., Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, or even Montana or Montana State either.   Perhaps they would get more excited by playing NDSU, SDSU, and USD yearly in FB and twice a year in BB. 

Say what you want, but since NDSU has been in the MVFC/Summit and UND has been in the BSC, The Summit/MVFC combo has been better in the 3 major sports that most care about, Football and Men's and Women's basketball.

It appears that your fans can't get excited about football or basketball games against schools like Portland St, Sac St., Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, or even Montana or Montana State either.   Perhaps they would get more excited by playing NDSU, SDSU, and USD yearly in FB and twice a year in BB. 

Say what you want, but since NDSU has been in the MVFC/Summit and UND has been in the BSC, The Summit/MVFC combo has been better in the 3 major sports that most care about, Football and Men's and Women's basketball.

Our problems are with losing teams, poor coaching and lack of leadership in the athletic department and in the President's office.  None of those things would be different if we were in the Slummit/MVFC instead of the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

Our problems are with losing teams, poor coaching and lack of leadership in the athletic department and in the President's office. None of those things would be different if we were in the Slummit/MVFC instead of the Big Sky.

I think UND has a talent problem. Until they are in an athletic conference with other regional universities, I think they will struggle getting talent.

Our problems are with losing teams, poor coaching and lack of leadership in the athletic department and in the President's office.  None of those things would be different if we were in the Slummit/MVFC instead of the Big Sky.

It's a lot easier to win games, coach teams, and manage athletic departments when you can expect a house full of enthusiastic fans night after night. IMO, UND fans would be far more numerous and enthusiastic with their team playing NDSU, SDSU, USD, Denver and UNI (in football) than they could ever be in the Big Sky.

It's a lot easier to win games, coach teams, and manage athletic departments when you can expect a house full of enthusiastic fans night after night. IMO, UND fans would be far more numerous and enthusiastic with their team playing NDSU, SDSU, USD, Denver and UNI (in football) than they could ever be in the Big Sky.

As a UND fan I agree with this statement. The only schools I would miss playing would be the EWU the Montana schools and Weber in basketball, but we could still schedule them non-conference. NDSU, SDSU, and USD have all played the Montana schools non conference.  I would also like having SDSU/USD/UNI/Denver/Omaha/Ill St./Oral Roberts etc. as other schools vs. NAU, Idaho St. Sac State, Portland St., etc. The only way UND could move to the summit is if UND also got in the MVFC. 

Just based on the fact of playing NDSU in the Alerus Center every other year and NDSU at home in hoops every year I would estimate UND could add another 1 million - 1.5 million in revenue from tickets/donations/sponsorship/tv deals. The majority of that extra revenue would come from playing NDSU in the Alerus every other year and the increased fan $$$ that comes with all of that. 

The thing i do like about the Big Sky though is right now football is there for the taking and if Bubba starts making the playoffs and winning Big Sky titles people will take notice regardless of conference. Still, playing NDSU in the Alerus every other year would no doubt help UND in a lot of ways. That game was bigger than UND vs Minnesota in hockey when it was still going on. I think NDSU gets that and that is why they do not want UND to join the Summit/MVFC. It would help UND quite a bit financially. 

I think UND has a talent problem. Until they are in an athletic conference with other regional universities, I think they will struggle getting talent.

So if UND switches conferences they would suddenly acquire better, more talented recruits?

You are delusional.

Now, with that said, the Summit/MVFC is a better fit geographically for UND. Nevertheless, that conference change isn't happening anytime soon and playing in the same conference as the Montana schools is not a bad consolation prize. The Big Sky Conference is a good conference and is a good home for UND, with the only better fit being the Summit/MVFC combination. Fortunately, UND can still build championship-quality teams in the BSC, but the correct leadership is still required.

• Upvote 1

So if UND switches conferences they would suddenly acquire better, more talented recruits?

You are delusional.

Not suddenly. But, you're delusional if you think that playing schools within your natural recruiting area won't help with recruiting. Kids like to play against schools they, and their parents and friends, have actually heard of, and with which they are familiar. 

Not suddenly. But, you're delusional if you think that playing schools within your natural recruiting area won't help with recruiting. Kids like to play against schools they, and their parents and friends, have actually heard of, and with which they are familiar. .

Yeah, like Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne and Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. ;)

No Googling: What's the best academic program at either? 

Not suddenly. But, you're delusional if you think that playing schools within your natural recruiting area won't help with recruiting. Kids like to play against schools they, and their parents and friends, have actually heard of, and with which they are familiar. 

UND has had no trouble recruiting against NDSU in the past, winning the last two recruiting battles that I'm aware of (Hooker and Shanks).  What they have done since they have got to campus is a completely different topic.

Yeah, like Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne and Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. ;)

No Googling: What's the best academic program at either?

If you graduate from IUPUI or IPFW, your degree would say Indiana or Purdue, depending on what college you were in. The students would riot if the degrees stated IUPUI or IPFW. If you interview an IU or PU graduate, ask what campus they were on.

IUPUI has the premiere med school in Indiana, but its officially part of IU.

Not suddenly. But, you're delusional if you think that playing schools within your natural recruiting area won't help with recruiting. Kids like to play against schools they, and their parents and friends, have actually heard of, and with which they are familiar.

So potential recruits from North Dakota and Minnesota haven't heard of the University of Montana and aren't interested in playing in California? The Big Sky is a better league than the Summit, in terms of basketball. The Summit has a nice conference tournament venue, but the BSC has a wider geography range and big name schools in MBB (Weber, Montana). Also, I prefer that the regular season conference champion hosts the conference tournament; makes for good crowds and would be exciting to one day host in GF.

Going to the Summit/MVFC is not an instant recruiting fix by any means, and to believe that is a result of simplified thinking. Targeting the right recruits and then developing them is still key.

Quit lumping the majority of fans and lakes together. He pretty much on his own island with a few minions.

So potential recruits from North Dakota and Minnesota haven't heard of the University of Montana and aren't interested in playing in California? The Big Sky is a better league than the Summit, in terms of basketball. The Summit has a nice conference tournament venue, but the BSC has a wider geography range and big name schools in MBB (Weber, Montana). Also, I prefer that the regular season conference champion hosts the conference tournament; makes for good crowds and would be exciting to one day host in GF.

Going to the Summit/MVFC is not an instant recruiting fix by any means, and to believe that is a result of simplified thinking. Targeting the right recruits and then developing them is still key.

You are indeed delusional. Kids within this area, the upper Midwest, are way, way more likely to have heard of, and give damn about, the teams in the MVFC and the Summit than those in the Big Sky. If you don't understand that, I can't help you.