SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

I'd like the win, but I'd be okay to beat that spread. I was thinking 20. I'll get ripped for that...

As long as UND doesn't get embarrassed, the UND folks I know will be very happy.

I'd like the win, but I'd be okay to beat that spread. I was thinking 20. I'll get ripped for that...

Last I saw, Montana was a 14-15 point underdog at home against NDSU for the FCS kickoff game.  You should be able to get more than 20 points.

Last I saw, Montana was a 14-15 point underdog at home against NDSU for the FCS kickoff game.  You should be able to get more than 20 points.

Exactly.  NDSU is currently a 16 point favorite over Montana in Missoula.  UND will be around a 27 point dog in Fargo.  

I'm not doubting you, I just wanted to know why the veer offense would be hard to fund scholly-wise?   More skill position players in the backfield?

Just curious...

I remember having 2 conversations on this back in the day. One with a couple guys who were pretty tight with the Bison program and another was with a UND coach and both had similar take on it.

Mostly with having a lot of scholarships tied up in QB's as they got hit a lot and you had to have depth for current roster as well as for future, RB's since you had to have good depth as even on plays you didn't run the ball you usually had more blocking assignments than a traditional RB may have as you were usually helping on linemen or getting to the linebackers and secondary....so you had to play quite a few RB in every game and again have depth in case of injuries, and you needed several Linemen as running option is a pretty active offense for linemen as well and you needed to be 2 deep or at least have a solid 8 for every game and also be prepared for injuries as well and when D2 cut scholarships it made it tough for everyone who had been fully funding football at the D2 level and even tougher on teams who ran "option" type offenses.

When Babich came in, one of the first things he did was to gradually move their offense in a different direction.

When Babich came in, one of the first things he did was to gradually move their offense in a different direction.

The nerve of some people.... Honestly I'm a very big fan of option football. Makes you very difficult to prepare for, even disciplined defenses have trouble at the college level.

Anytime Navy, chAir Force, or Georgia Tech are on TV I try to watch.

The nerve of some people.... Honestly I'm a very big fan of option football. Makes you very difficult to prepare for, even disciplined defenses have trouble at the college level.

Anytime Navy, chAir Force, or Georgia Tech are on TV I try to watch.

True, but you also had better take the opening kickoff and score because coming from behind is not easy when you run the option. 

True, but you also had better take the opening kickoff and score because coming from behind is not easy when you run the option.

No reason to panic unless you are down by a few scores.

The veer served the Bison very well for quite a while.  It takes a very special athlete at QB to make it dominant.  We had two guys who made it run like a fine clock, resulting in 5 national championships.  We lost the third potential national championship QB to a serious knee injury.  He wasn't even hit.  Time ran out for the veer. 

The veer served the Bison very well for quite a while.  It takes a very special athlete at QB to make it dominant.  We had two guys who made it run like a fine clock, resulting in 5 national championships.  We lost the third potential national championship QB to a serious knee injury.  He wasn't even hit.  Time ran out for the veer.

And having 2 stud running backs and a stud fullback to join the QB in the backfield didn't hurt either.....not to mention Wide Outs who didn't mind not catching balls but relished blocking downfield.....growing up a Nebraska fan I have to admit I was a fan of watching the option offense.

And having 2 stud running backs and a stud fullback to join the QB in the backfield didn't hurt either.....not to mention Wide Outs who didn't mind not catching balls but relished blocking downfield.....growing up a Nebraska fan I have to admit I was a fan of watching the option offense.

And having 2 or more stud running backs to back up the backs didn't hurt either.  It was running back by committee most of the time.  The best teams of that era had DI athletes in the backfield and others sprinkled around the rest of the team.  Simdorn and Bentrim were DI athletes that would have played another position with many DI programs. 

And having 2 or more stud running backs to back up the backs didn't hurt either. It was running back by committee most of the time. The best teams of that era had DI athletes in the backfield and others sprinkled around the rest of the team. Simdorn and Bentrim were DI athletes that would have played another position with many DI programs.

Option was still common at division 1 at the time, I think they were probably just "misses" by bigger programs. And who knows, maybe they would have struggled at a higher level. Lots of variables to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm already seeing and hearing excuses and claims of how UND will play dirty. Also a handful of #hottakes on some plays from the Montana game from last year from a bunch of geniuses who didn't see a single second of the game. What a bunch of garbage.  Glad Schmidt's defense already has the fans thinking about a physical game.  Can't wait to see what he has drawn up to bring pressure out of the 3-4.

I'm already seeing and hearing excuses and claims of how UND will play dirty. Also a handful of #hottakes on some plays from the Montana game from last year from a bunch of geniuses who didn't see a single second of the game. What a bunch of garbage. Glad Schmidt's defense already has the fans thinking about a physical game. Can't wait to see what he has drawn up to bring pressure out of the 3-4.

Let the excuses roll, they will have excuses for everything if the game is close or if UND wins. I think I heard them all from 1993-2003.

Let the excuses roll, they will have excuses for everything if the game is close or if UND wins. I think I heard them all from 1993-2003.

"It was their Superbowl"

"It's just a non conference game, conference games are way more important"

"I'd rather lose now than in the playoffs, so this loss is not that bad"

Some new ones for you maybe!! :)