SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ Western Michigan - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Ok... I'll admit it... I was "that guy" today. I perused another team's fan board today. I'm bored... So be it...

This guy is a gem... Anyone else think we were "intimidated" by Western? Anyone see a player who looked "wore down" ... Excellent grammar haha... What was the "message" that was sent? That they'll be anything better than a bottom feeder? No... Lol I think it's laughable...

(Today 01:16 AM)wmu2012 Wrote:

The end of the game was imbarassing. We picked a fight because we were losing just stupid behavior led by Murray.

I'm ok with this and very proud of what happened toward the end. Over the years North Dakota has the reputation of a playing style of trying to physically intimated players/teams by playing with an edge.

I love Hargrove working hard going to the net, leaping over a fallen North Dakota player, he falls and while he is getting back to his feet bumps into the smaller Stecher who intern flies into McInter. This was certainly less innocent than than what a North Dakota player did earlier in the game going hard to the net and running Hafner (no call here).

The North Dakota player cross checks Hargrove after the whistle and then tries to get in Hargroves face to teach him a lesson. Things get chippy, but Hargrove sends the message back Broncos wont be intimidated.

What I like is how everyone grabs a guy and what we end up with is WMU on top off every single North Dakota player. Who's intimating who now? http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/

My favorite moment was Goff cross body throw of Odonnell and pinning him down on the ice. After Odonnell says uncle, Goff kindly lets him up, but Odonnell thinks he is free to take on another Bronco. Goff responds by going over to Odonnell with one hand grabs him by the throat and pins him up against the board as Odennell squirms helplessly

The tone has been set with North Dakota as they know we are not a team who can be physically intimidated, in fact, the after last night they know the Broncos are actually more physical than they are.

They also found out we are a very quick team and can skate with anybody. Did you see how shocked/surprised and wore down the North Dakota player who was interviewed after the first period?

Broncos did nothing wrong in the end, stood their ground and sent a message

To be honest with you, western is a far more physical than we are. Which makes sense as their guys are huge. In that scrum they were man handling our guys but that made sense given the shear size of the players on the ice.

But to that wmu poster, they may have won the physical side of things but we were far more skilled. Did they send a little message? Sure, thy can knock guys around. But we can hang in those games and use our skill to win the game. Which is the objective obviously.

To be honest with you, western is a far more physical than we are. Which makes sense as their guys are huge. In that scrum they were man handling our guys but that made sense given the shear size of the players on the ice.

But to that wmu poster, they may have won the physical side of things but we were far more skilled. Did they send a little message? Sure, thy can knock guys around. But we can hang in those games and use our skill to win the game. Which is the objective obviously.

Only thing thst really gave me a chuckle was that poster saying we were or are intimidated by them. No lol.

Western is a decent team...well coached...play an NHL style...very physical

That said, way more drafted players on UND which translates (although not perfectly) to being more skilled and talented.  Western could steal a game against anyone, but UND should beat them 8 out of 10 games IMO

AND...the identity of this year's team is hardly that of physical intimidation...especially on the blueline.  Its a different look UND team than years past

And I'm good with that.  Let the other teams win the scrums while we win the point battles.

That said, way more drafted players on UND which translates (although not perfectly) to being more skilled and talented. Western could steal a game against anyone, but UND should beat them 8 out of 10 games IMO

Exactly, I've seen them play a few times this year. They are a good team that plays in the best conference in the country. If they played a big 10 schedule or a hockey east schedule they may be in the 13-16 range in the PW.

If they played a WCHA schedule they are potentially top 10.

Love this reference, Mafia Man. In honor of KG making his return to MN, here is another video setting the tone for tonight's game.

This series is quickly becoming my favorite series to watch from a fan perspective. Fast, physical hockey and no shortage of chippiness. Let's hope our guys respond tonight without getting cheap and pumping in a couple PP goals for once. I am feeling a blowout victory.

All you "Poolman Experiment at Forward Needs to End"-ers.... what a game from 3! The kid gives other teams such fits with his skating ability and ridiculous reach. Nothing comes easy in the neutral zone when 3 is on the ice. I 100% agree that he is better suited as a Dman, but with 6 other SOLID d men, I love playing him up front. 

Most wonderful time of the year. Buckle up!

My take on the game:

WMU was as expected, tough physically and less gifted than competition.

Zane McGothAwesome.....that's what I'm going with.

Nick still just has to get a bit greedier with the puck and take the shots he has the talent, CHOOT ET eHLIZDEBETH.

The scrum was a bit embarrassing can't remember a time when EVERY Sioux on the ice was getting his Arse handed to him.

The non call on Pattyn was as bad as a call as we have seen this year in the NCHC, Murray had every right to crap a chicken.

Poolman, looked like he had rocket boosters on for awhile

Cbs crew awesome

TH. Bad connection.....fighting a cold......still has a voice to make a mountain lion purr.

Maybe throw in an "empty net let's put a puck in it" drill into practice this week?

My call for tonight 5-2

The end of the game was imbarassing.

Stecher who intern

The tone has been set with North Dakota as they know we are not a team who can be physically intimidated, in fact, the after last night they know the Broncos are actually more physical than they are.

They also found out we are a very quick team and can skate with anybody.

It was "imbarassing".

Stecher is so awesome, he gets his own intern!

I didn't think Western was very quick and fast skating at all.  As I said last night, they were trying too hard to just be "physical" IMO.  They needed to spend a bit more energy on their offensive game and less just trying to drive people through the boards and hold them there.

Sending a message with your physicality is great and all, but it doesn't mean much when you're still losing.

That said, way more drafted players on UND which translates (although not perfectly) to being more skilled and talented. Western could steal a game against anyone, but UND should beat them 8 out of 10 games IMO

I agree with everything you said except I think we could beat them 4 out of every 5 times! :-)

Didn't Pattyn get the box twice last night?   I hope he takes a look at Stecher's goal and realizes his penchant for penalties comes at a cost.   Great guy to have on the team, but he's gotta cut down on box time.  

Not arguing with you, but we don't see and hear everything that happens on the ice. The General is the policeman for this team. Maybe there's a method to his madness.