SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

4 straight NCs......congrats to NDSU. Amazing feat.

UND will get is shot next September to see where they are at compared to the FCS's elite program. I for one am glad the game is on the schedule. Go UND!

I too am glad that they are playing again.  One of my best memories of the series was Kleinsauser running away from the d in the dome.  It was an eye opening play that probably got him a spot on the Vikings.  Wish this series was a year in year out rival game again.  

• Upvote 1

The NDAC fans on this thread, while mainly behaving like jackasses, are bringing up some hard truths.  UND's athletic department and I'd argue the administration of our university is dysfunctional.  The ag school has had the success they've had because they've made football a priority at their university and their willing to commit whatever resources necessary to make it successful.  They have a football budget that's in the top 3 for FCS.  Their coaching salaries are also in the top 3.  UND fans on this site were patting ourselves on the back for getting to 4th in the Big Sky after making Schweigert give us  a discount on his salary since it was his dream job.  It's insane to think we can be successful at this level for any extended period of time when our administration has this mindset.  

UND does go all out in it's support for the hockey program.  I'd argue this doesn't get us near the bang for the buck that the ag school gets from investing in football.  Over the last 7-8 years NDSU has seen their university increase by leaps and bounds in notoriety while UND's has largely stagnated.  This has happened despite the fact that the overall quality of education provided by NDSU continues to be poor at best.  The fan base for Bison football is now state-wide.  The fan base for UND hockey will never be so, as the sport is irrelevant across wide swaths of the population and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  The popularity of college football increases every year while college hockey's, if anything, is in the decline.

UND is really at a crossroads with it's athletic department.  They can continue on the path they've set and then wonder why on-campus enrollment continues to drop and large sections of the alumni base no longer feel any connection to the university or they can make the changes necessary to shift emphasis away from hockey to the traditional money sports of football and to a lesser extent, college basketball.  Like it or not, athletics is the best marketing tool a university has and college football is the biggest draw in college athletics.  it only makes sense that a university that focuses on college hockey, to the detriment of their other sports, isn't going to experience the growth that their counterparts will experience.

That being said I don't think the administration we have presently with Kelly and Faison is at all capable of even recognizing these issues.  The two have proven themselves incompetent and will need to be replaced as soon as possible for this university to take the necessary steps forward.

You make a few good points about NDSU, but I beg to differ about your main point here.  UND is more focused on Hockey and that is just the way it is.  When you say the Alumni are disenfranchised, I think you haven't been to a game at the x cel or a road hockey game in St. Cloud, Duluth, Omaha, or Denver.  Just as a point, my wife and I were at the SCSU UND hockey game in St. Cloud, and I would be willing to say that there were about 2000 UND fans at this game.  The place seats maybe 5-6 thousand. How is this loosing interest from alumi? This Hockey team is what most people in the country associate with UND.  Just like NDSU has its football team.

Sports is cyclical.....UND will work its way back to FB relevance and NDSU will have 4k at the Fargodome again.

We are digging out of the hole that was created when we were D2 and others in the region went D1 and we couldn't compete on scholarship $$ and then not being playoff eligible and the others were.  You can't fix that overnight but I think Bubba's got a chance to do it.

Congratulations to su for the 4th. Simply amazing. Doubtful it will happen but for another time or two ever. And, they aren't done. Five in a row is very possible. How big FCS football is can be debated. Many empty stands for most FCS playoff games - as many empty stands for NCAA hockey regionals. I sure wish UND would have four national titles in FCS football. Our football is getting better but I wonder how many games we would have won playing in a DII conference the last few years. Lots of family members having fun at bison football games that I am not at.

You make a few good points about NDSU, but I beg to differ about your main point here.  UND is more focused on Hockey and that is just the way it is.  When you say the Alumni are disenfranchised, I think you haven't been to a game at the x cel or a road hockey game in St. Cloud, Duluth, Omaha, or Denver.  Just as a point, my wife and I were at the SCSU UND hockey game in St. Cloud, and I would be willing to say that there were about 2000 UND fans at this game.  The place seats maybe 5-6 thousand. How is this loosing interest from alumi? This Hockey team is what most people in the country associate with UND.  Just like NDSU has its football team.

The hockey team is what most fans on this blog associate with UND but most fans on this blog are not all in tune with UND Alumni. UND fans like fans everywhere else, will jump on a winner's bandwagon. UND fans will fill the Alerus and the Betty if the FB team starts winning conference championships and making the playoffs and having success in the playoffs. UND fans will follow them in FB and BB as long as long as they are winning. Kelly, Faison and frankly, our Alumni Assn. have attached no urgency to our athletic recovery. Our friends to the South had a president who not only made FB and athletics a priority, he made it the top priority right behind his ego and his own salary and perks. They also have done a superb job of marketing, for both athletics and the school. At the same time, there has been tremendous economic growth in Fargo and they have capitalized on relationships with Fargo businesses and community leaders. MSUM and Concordia are non factors now in FM area. We have a number of hockey only fools who never understood the importance to hockey of great academics, along with success in other sports. It has been quite some time since our last Nat. Champ in hockey and no matter how the Big 10 hockey is struggling this year, the breakup of the WCHA hurts us with loss of the traditional powers and rivalries. Arizona State and hopefully others can help fill that void. Our hockey fans right. Now are not what they were. We had hundreds of empty seats last night with 2 of the best teams in the country facing off. Except for the stupid " who's he, he sucks sh.. " chant when Duluth was introduced, I wouldn't have known we had a student section.

The AG trolls will be here to crow just like our trolls who go there would do if the roles were reversed. Who cares? They are people who don't have enough going on in their own lives to feel good about, without wasting time on this blog and aren't smart enough to know how stupid it makes them look. Don't waste time with the hockey vs other sports. Focus on supporting our hockey team and an 8th title and contributing to the momentum we are starting in FB, WBB, MBB and VB.

• Upvote 2

We have issues with Faison if everyone wants to state the obvious. I know he isn't the guy to lead UND. With Bubba and the alumni base we will strive for success in football regardless of the administration. I like how things are progressing and if we do pull this thing together we'll have to get the checkbook out and keep the coaching staff together. So sucking has it challenges, but success brings about it's own set of challenges and we need leadership. We can't F up the AD hire again. Faison will be done in a couple years.

"We had hundreds of empty seats last night..."

Attendance was 11777 last night at the Ralph last night. Capacity is listed at 11640.

I was there and there were hundreds of empty seats. Seats are usually sold out but I was surprised at how many empty seats there were and have been for other games. It wouldn't surprise me for Niagra but I was surprised for this series. Those folks must have all gone to Frisco.

I was there and there were hundreds of empty seats. Seats are usually sold out but I was surprised at how many empty seats there were and have been for other games. It wouldn't surprise me for Niagra but I was surprised for this series. Those folks must have all gone to Frisco.

I'm there every night........."hundreds" is a big stretch. Lots of places people watch the game in that building other than their seats.

Student section was 1/10th the size it normally is since they are still considered on Christmas break.... So there were a lot more tickets available to the general public, and those folks don't generate as much noise as the students do.

He had a fumble lost, as in singular, during the game. Did you see how many plays he extended with his legs, tackles he shed and completed passes afterwards, or the game winning drive that he completed? Did you happen to see the fact that he was MVP of the game? Clearly, you did not watch the same game yesterday that I did. 

My grandpa gave me a piece of advice a year before he died. "Never argue with an idiot. They will just beat you with all their knowledge and experience." As such I am going to end this argument right now.

I am guessing UND would have benefited greatly this season from the mediocre quarterback Carson Wentz. 

Well, this would have been Carson's 3rd year as a starter at UND so he would have been a great benefit!

Same beef? Then why ask the question if you don't believe the numbers, or the people at the game?

#buttgetalife

Im more likely to believe people complaining about empty seats because I think it requires taking off glasses to comment on that.

You getting defensive leads me to think that perhaps there were quite a few empty seats. Some people are so touchy.

Well, this would have been Carson's 3rd year as a starter at UND so he would have been a great benefit!

Wouldn't have started ahead of Hanson 3 yrs ago. Not sure he would have been starter here last 2 years. No way to compare. He continues to develop as a very good FCS QB. He is a big part of the Ag school success and he is an NFL prospect. He is a key piece of the puzzle and it is a great example of how important the team concept is to the success of the individual and how the success of the individual is to the team game. No criticism of the kid. He is very good. The guys here have not had the surrounding cast he has and fortunately for him he has had the chance to develop under Johnson who some argue is the best QB they have ever had, and also with a great oline, excellent RB's, and receivers and a defense that can make up for any mistakes which have been few for this kid. He has also had very good coaching. Not sure why anyone would criticize the kid. All he has done is win.

Comparing him with our guys cuz can't be done. He would not have been a "great benefit to us" cuz he would not have had time to throw nor the running game he has nor the receivers this yr. He would have had great receivers here last yr but he wasn't here so no

one knows.