SiouxSports.com Forum

Measure 5

Nodak78

Let me put it this way...I know that a locally owned pharmacy in Fargo has lost money for the first time ever last year due to changes in healtcare, i.e. ACA, and if measure 7 passes I have no doubt this state will see a number of small rural town pharmacies go under.

Let me put it this way...I know that a locally owned pharmacy in Fargo has lost money for the first time ever last year due to changes in healtcare, i.e. ACA, and if measure 7 passes I have no doubt this state will see a number of small rural town pharmacies go under.

If they are already losing money, how long will they stay open regardless of the outcome of this measure? 

its about supporting small business in ND.  What do you want it to be....id rather pay a few extra bucks and know that money stays in Grand Forks/ my hometown to continue to be spent in the local economy, not to corporate headquarters in Arkansas.

Like the $180.00 they tried charging my wife and I at CVS in N. Fargo for our son who just ruptured his ear drum....or the $12.00 we ended up paying at the Moorhead Wal-mart.  I understand supporting small business but this experience seriously pissed me off.  Vote yes on #7!!

Let's put it this way - Take Bottineau for example. Small town that has a Walmart.  If this passes does anyone think Walmart won't lower their prices to the point that the local Pharmacy goes out of business.  Then what?  2 guesses.  Nothing stops anyone from getting their drugs on the Internet from whoever they want if they think it's cheaper and the way to go. 

Like the $180.00 they tried charging my wife and I at CVS in N. Fargo for our son who just ruptured his ear drum....or the $12.00 we ended up paying at the Moorhead Wal-mart.  I understand supporting small business but this experience seriously pissed me off.  Vote yes on #7!!

Sounds like an In/Out of Network type of thing to me.  Or something along those lines.  They obviously did not mark up their stuff that much.

Let's put it this way - Take Bottineau for example. Small town that has a Walmart. If this passes does anyone think Walmart won't lower their prices to the point that the local Pharmacy goes out of business. Then what? 2 guesses. Nothing stops anyone from getting their drugs on the Internet from whoever they want if they think it's cheaper and the way to go.

Oddly enough my great uncle just sold his pharmacy up in Bottineau not too long ago.

If they are already losing money, how long will they stay open regardless of the outcome of this measure? 

Obamacare/ACA and this measure passing is a death sentence for locally owned rural pharmacies IMO.  Good luck to the  85 year old grandma living on a cattle ranch outside of Bowman who has to race into Dickinson in mid January to refill her meds at Walmart because that's her only option...but wait the meds are now "cheaper" in Dickinson.

Obamacare/ACA and this measure passing is a death sentence for locally owned rural pharmacies IMO. Good luck to the 85 year old grandma living on a cattle ranch outside of Bowman who has to race into Dickinson in mid January to refill her meds at Walmart because that's her only option...but wait the meds are now "cheaper" in Dickinson.

Is that 85 year old making that trip in July? If people in rural towns want to keep their pharmacies open, continue to support them. No different than their grocery stores, hardware stores, etc.

Is that 85 year old making that trip in July? If people in rural towns want to keep their pharmacies open, continue to support them. No different than their grocery stores, hardware stores, etc.

Pretty simplistic thinking but the government and insurance companires don't have a hold on grocery stores and hardware stores like they do on prescrition drug coverages and what pharmacies are able to charge, bill and collect.

Also when you factor in all expenses such gas and vehicle costs to name a couple, see different thread to discuss gas issues, to travel from Bowman to Dickinson or Carrington to Jamestown to buy "cheaper" meds, are they really "cheaper" when it is all said and done?

Pretty simplistic thinking but the government and insurance companires don't have a hold on grocery stores and hardware stores like they do on prescrition drug coverages and what pharmacies are able to charge, bill and collect.

So will these small town pharmacies survive evening the measure fails?

So will these small town pharmacies survive evening the measure fails?

They will at least have a fighting chance IMO but let's not forgot the ever evolving part of this equation which is the ACA.

Sounds like an In/Out of Network type of thing to me.  Or something along those lines.  They obviously did not mark up their stuff that much.

In/Out of network wasn't on my mind with screaming infant.  It's all so FUBARed now with the games insurance companies play and OBumma Care. (I thought he said it would lower costs.........I guess that was a lie cause my coverage more than doubled) 

• Upvote 1