Who should start?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Moll erg or Bartels

• Bartels
    • Mollberg
    • Hanson
    • Ivery
    • Other

Bartels scored two offensive touchdowns in one half of football.

Mollberg hasn't scored two offensive touchdowns in an entire game this season.

Bartels played better last year and again he looked better yesterday. I say give Bartels a chance, especially now that there's a two week period to make the transition.

• Upvote 4

The good news is that the QB position no longer seems to be a liabilty. The "bad news" is that neither has separated himself from the other. Start whomever seems to have the hot hand in practice, and tell him not to be butt-hurt if the other is called on to come in in relief. IMO, Bartles has earned the start, but I too don't think the coaching staff will say there is a clear cut case for changing starters.

Last year Bartles only started four games but threw more touchdown passes than Mollberg who started seven games. 

Last year Mollberg threw 7 touchdowns but 13 interceptions and a 58.5% completion ratio.

Last year Bartles threw 8 touchdowns with 6 interceptions and a 61.1% completion ratio.

Unfortunately, I don't see this "controversy" going away any time soon in the eyes of the fans. I think both are capable, but neither is at a point where he's going to be so consistently good that there won't be a chunk of the fan base clamoring for a change. 

How can you definitively say Bartles is not at a point where he can be consistently good?  He's played a little more than one half of football this season and did well during that time.  Let's see some more of him and if he fails like Mollberg has, then we can start commenting about how inconsistent he is.

How can you definitively say Bartles is not at a point where he can be consistently good?  He's played a little more than one half of football this season and did well during that time.  Let's see some more of him and if he fails like Mollberg has, then we can start commenting about how inconsistent he is.

I am basing it on the backup quarterback syndrome, i.e. the backup is always the answer for a certain segment of the fan base. If you have two quarterbacks who are relatively close, the other guy will always have his backers unless the starter plays like Peyton Manning. 

The good news is that the QB position no longer seems to be a liabilty. The "bad news" is that neither has separated himself from the other. Start whomever seems to have the hot hand in practice, and tell him not to be butt-hurt if the other is called on to come in in relief. IMO, Bartles has earned the start, but I too don't think the coaching staff will say there is a clear cut case for changing starters.

Bartels has had one half so far this year- not sure we can blame him for not separating himself from mollberg. He led two touchdown drives, and never made a huge mistake- Joe has made big mistakes in every game this year.

Give Bartels a couple of games at the very least and let's see what we have.

Hate to be a Debbie downer, but, we are not going to win it all this year; so let's at least make sure we have the right QB at the top of the depth chart going into next year.

Bartels has had one half so far this year- not sure we can blame him for not separating himself from mollberg. He led two touchdown drives, and never made a huge mistake- Joe has made big mistakes in every game this year.

Give Bartels a couple of games at the very least and let's see what we have.

Hate to be a Debbie downer, but, we are not going to win it all this year; so let's at least make sure we have the right QB at the top of the depth chart going into next year.

What huge mistake did Joe make last game?

Mollberg seems to have the size and strength to be the popular choice but at the end of the day we need an accurate quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over. Joe has certainly shown some improvement, but Bartels just appears to be a better fit for this offense.

Often times quarterbacks have the tangible attributes (arm strength, height, weight, etc.) but they can't make the correct decisions (intangibles). I think we may have a case of this with Joe Mollberg; he has the potential, but he's not the type of decision-maker required of quarterbacks. 

Both last year and last game, Bartels was the better decision-maker. I think that is huge for the way Bubba wants to play football, especially this year with how the defense is playing. Bartels deserves a shot because there is evidence to suggest he is the better decision-maker.