SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance for Saturday

Risky

I don't know about you guys and gals....but many students tailgate. Like it or not there is drinking going on during tailgating. Nd is known as one of the top binge drinking states and this happens at und sporting events where alcohol is allowed. Guess what I'm trying to say is it's no fun to tailgate and drink to just stop drinking because the game started.

I know alot of students hate the tailgatting situation that they get in the parking lot of the Alerus.

Care to enlighten me?  I can't imagine students are upset with the free tailgating passes, the free shuttle ride over, the free food provided by different organizations each week, or the other events that NoDak Nation has going on out there (corn hole tournament, music, etc.).  Not to mention the hospitality that a lot of our awesome "private" tailgaters provide, often inviting in students for food & conversation.

I'd argue we're (UND Athletics) pretty open to concerns/comments from fans, plus NoDak Nation is out there every week and is the "voice" of the student section.

If "a lot" of students are upset about something, "a lot" of students are also not sharing those concerns with anyone who can try to make a change.

David...  

Why have a "private" lot in the first place?     I understand having "paid" parking spots.  But why not have the students mixed in with the general population?  Honestly I think that the general population would be open to it.  Additionally why have "reserved spots"  I am sure you have seen people rolling up to the game and driving through all of the tailgaters just to show up minutes before kickoff... While this seems okay on the surface. It really takes away from the experience when it is november and the people who actually want to get there early and tailgate have to be spread out across the parking lot with many spaces in-between... At least if they could all huddle together it would be a bit more comfortable.  

• Upvote 1

Care to enlighten me? I can't imagine students are upset with the free tailgating passes, the free shuttle ride over, the free food provided by different organizations each week, or the other events that NoDak Nation has going on out there (corn hole tournament, music, etc.). Not to mention the hospitality that a lot of our awesome "private" tailgaters provide, often inviting in students for food & conversation.

I'd argue we're (UND Athletics) pretty open to concerns/comments from fans, plus NoDak Nation is out there every week and is the "voice" of the student section.

If "a lot" of students are upset about something, "a lot" of students are also not sharing those concerns with anyone who can try to make a change.

I think wild fan was referring to the drinking that goes on during tailgating. It isn't a requirement that alcohol be consumed during tailgating but it happens. I don't know of too many people/students that want to have a few beers outside, then get in the alerus center to their seats and not be allowed to drink anymore.

The only solution I could think of would be to ban alcohol completely from tailgating as well as the game.

O hell no. Tailgating wrist bands for re-entry.

That may work too but how many will actually come back in? I'm pretty sure most of the students that leave early are doing so to start drinking again. They aren't leaving to start drinking. They are leaving to continue drinking. Just my observation.

I think wild fan was referring to the drinking that goes on during tailgating. It isn't a requirement that alcohol be consumed during tailgating but it happens. I don't know of too many people/students that want to have a few beers outside, then get in the alerus center to their seats and not be allowed to drink anymore.

The only solution I could think of would be to ban alcohol completely from tailgating as well as the game.

Just think about 19,000 fans down south that have to deal with this "issue". If they can't go to a game because they are cut off from drinking....that's pretty sad.

I believe they are. The bottom line is winning. If we start winning, people will come and that does include the student body.

I agree that winning will help attendance. But I think it's safe to say over half of the ndsu students aren't leaving their games at half to continue drinking because they never started drinking in the first place.

I agree that winning will help attendance. But I think it's safe to say over half of the ndsu students aren't leaving their games at half to continue drinking because they never started drinking in the first place.

I see your point.  But NDSU has established such a tradition of winning at the FCS level that students there are willing to give up the booze before and during the game to be a part of the atmosphere that has been established there.  UND students have been conditioned to expect a bad FB product, so they supplement the game experience (which hasn't been very good for 5 years) with booze.  We just have to keep working at it.

I see your point.  But NDSU has established such a tradition of winning at the FCS level that students there are willing to give up the booze before and during the game to be a part of the atmosphere that has been established there.  UND students have been conditioned to expect a bad FB product, so they supplement the game experience (which hasn't been very good for 5 years) with booze.  We just have to keep working at it.

There is most definitely drinking allowed at NDSU tailgating.  Alcohol is only served in the suites once you are inside the Fargodome.  While their student section is currently light years ahead of UND's, they too have issues with students leaving games early.

There is most definitely drinking allowed at NDSU tailgating. Alcohol is only served in the suites once you are inside the Fargodome. While their student section is currently light years ahead of UND's, they too have issues with students leaving games early.

Thanks for clearing that up. I know winning would help student attendance the most bit winning is left in control of the coaching staff and players. Winning games to a point is out of administration's control. Just brainstorming changes that could be made to keep he students there and get more there that are in und administration's control.

There is most definitely drinking allowed at NDSU tailgating.  Alcohol is only served in the suites once you are inside the Fargodome.  While their student section is currently light years ahead of UND's, they too have issues with students leaving games early.

When did that change?  I remember hearing about Bison fans being disgruntled about not being able to drink at tailgating because the City of Fargo (which owns the Fargodome) refused to allow it.

When did that change?  I remember hearing about Bison fans being disgruntled about not being able to drink at tailgating because the City of Fargo (which owns the Fargodome) refused to allow it.

2004.  It isn't allowed in every lot surrounding the Fargodome but I believe that the ones it isn't allowed in are general admission and mainly just parking anyway.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for clearing that up. I know winning would help student attendance the most bit winning is left in control of the coaching staff and players. Winning games to a point is out of administration's control. Just brainstorming changes that could be made to keep he students there and get more there that are in und administration's control.

I'm not saying to let the students run wild, but the Barney Fife level of student monitoring that goes on at the Alerus is riciculous.  Just look over at the student section and you will see 3-5 officials standing at the top of the section ever scanning the students.  If they are causing trouble, remove them.  Othewise just leave them alone.  It seems like the Al is doing everything it can to make them miserable.  I have heard many students I know complain about this.  

• Upvote 3

I see your point. But NDSU has established such a tradition of winning at the FCS level that students there are willing to give up the booze before and during the game to be a part of the atmosphere that has been established there. UND students have been conditioned to expect a bad FB product, so they supplement the game experience (which hasn't been very good for 5 years) with booze. We just have to keep working at it.

Uhhh lots of students drink before... Some manage to sneak some in... And plenty leave during the game (especially if the score is not close) to go drink.

It's a problem pretty well everywhere I believe

There's no question the real causal perception of UND football, which I imagine is what the student's perception is too, is that UND football "sucks". That will change when, dare I say it, NDSU football respects UND football. Everyone listens to NDSU football fanatics about now NDSU is all and everything football when it comes to North Dakota. Heck, UND students even go to NDSU football games. When UND is competing and winning MOST of their games, then the perception will change; believe it or not, even amongst NDSU people. Right now, even with the improvement Bubba and the team have shown, UND hasn't started WINNING games yet on a consistent basis.

Respect is different than 'love of'.

David...  

Why have a "private" lot in the first place?     I understand having "paid" parking spots.  But why not have the students mixed in with the general population?  Honestly I think that the general population would be open to it.  Additionally why have "reserved spots"  I am sure you have seen people rolling up to the game and driving through all of the tailgaters just to show up minutes before kickoff... While this seems okay on the surface. It really takes away from the experience when it is november and the people who actually want to get there early and tailgate have to be spread out across the parking lot with many spaces in-between... At least if they could all huddle together it would be a bit more comfortable.  

FBAlum, great questions and I understand where you are coming from.  For a number of years now (at least since before I was here), the Alerus Center has marketed reserved season tailgate spots.  In recent years, UND Athletics has become more involved with the marketing/selling of those spots and demand has continued to increase.  That demand has gone from about half of that "private tailgate alley" area to nearly the full thing.  With the amount of requests we get to move or add spots each year (and very rarely seeing spots dropped), we're under the impression there would be backlash against going "first come/first serve" for those spots.

We're actually down to a very small amount in that entire area that are not sold as season spots anymore.  In fact, overflow of tailgating spots purchased on a single-game basis now is in the student lot - so on high demand games for single-game tailgating, you'll have "regular" fans tailgating in the student lot.  In addition, students are located right next to many of those season spots now, and many aim to be near the grass and closer to the action.

This year is also the first year that Champions Club members are officially allowed to tailgate in their designated spots.  Lots are split between donor levels, but parking/tailgating is first come/first serve. Not a whole lot taking advantage of that benefit now, but that will grow, especially once tailgate alley is sold-out on a season basis.

I would suggest that we are planning and thinking big - hoping to see the crowds, and tailgaters, continue to grow.  We don't see tailgating confined to just "tailgate alley" long-term, and more spread across the entire parking lot.

As for those who drive in late, I certainly hope no one is spending $50/year/spot just to park. For $5/game, they can get a whole lot closer to the main entrance. I'd venture a guess that most of those people just decided to take a weekend off from tailgating - or are out of town and gave their passes to a friend for the day.  Hope that explains some of our logic.

FBAlum, great questions and I understand where you are coming from.  For a number of years now (at least since before I was here), the Alerus Center has marketed reserved season tailgate spots.  In recent years, UND Athletics has become more involved with the marketing/selling of those spots and demand has continued to increase.  That demand has gone from about half of that "private tailgate alley" area to nearly the full thing.  With the amount of requests we get to move or add spots each year (and very rarely seeing spots dropped), we're under the impression there would be backlash against going "first come/first serve" for those spots.

We're actually down to a very small amount in that entire area that are not sold as season spots anymore.  In fact, overflow of tailgating spots purchased on a single-game basis now is in the student lot - so on high demand games for single-game tailgating, you'll have "regular" fans tailgating in the student lot.  In addition, students are located right next to many of those season spots now, and many aim to be near the grass and closer to the action.

This year is also the first year that Champions Club members are officially allowed to tailgate in their designated spots.  Lots are split between donor levels, but parking/tailgating is first come/first serve. Not a whole lot taking advantage of that benefit now, but that will grow, especially once tailgate alley is sold-out on a season basis.

I would suggest that we are planning and thinking big - hoping to see the crowds, and tailgaters, continue to grow.  We don't see tailgating confined to just "tailgate alley" long-term, and more spread across the entire parking lot.

As for those who drive in late, I certainly hope no one is spending $50/year/spot just to park. For $5/game, they can get a whole lot closer to the main entrance. I'd venture a guess that most of those people just decided to take a weekend off from tailgating - or are out of town and gave their passes to a friend for the day.  Hope that explains some of our logic.

David,

I think you are missing the point... Especially the part about the students.  They feel like they are just put off to the side... I have literally heard this from many of them myself.  Additionally I played in the early 2000's and they didn't sell reserved spots when the al first opened... In fact I know of many parents who would get up extra early to get a "good" spot for tailgating... And quite frankly, they were ousted in favor of a huge tent.  They are members of the Champions Club too... Oh and about the $50 spots... Sure... There would be backlash... From the people who don't show up consistently or during the cold months. But they are just the fair-weather fans anyway... What about the people who show up every home game? Wouldn't you want to make sure they are excited and want to come tailgate? Instead of again feeling like they are just out in the middle of nowhere with 10-20 spots in-between them and the next people there?  

I have been to quite a few "Big Time" college football games and I can always remember paying for parking... But I don't remember ever having to deal with a reserved spot for tailgating... 

Just my .02 

• Upvote 1