SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

I don't think there is anything not to like from the WCHA Commish, which is why I said I think it will happen.  Barring another western team joining d1 ncaa hockey at the same time, I see SFU going to the WCHA.  If they, and another school with some investment in hockey decide to go D1, I see them joining the NCHC as that conference is obviously looking for more members.

After rejecting Notre Dame due to unrealistic requests, the NCHC is in a position of picking and choosing schools they want.  I think western schools would be an excellent opportunity for the conference to expand into areas that don't have a lot of college hockey fans.  Why let the WCHA grab SFU (and let's say another northwest team) when the NCHC wants that market?

Edit:  Basically, forget what i said about needing two teams to join.  I think SFU would join the NCHC even if they're the only western team making the jump.  A 9 team schedule isn't ideal but that western market is huge for any conference.

I'm still curious if the moratorium has been lifted on individual teams going d1.

There is no moratorium on going DI for DII schools, or for DII schools to go DI in sports like hockey, skiing, or men's volleyball, but the DII school has to have a conference invite.  But if a CIS, DIII, or NAIA wants to do it, its not possible (except for DIII with no scholarships).  Schools can no longer move up in a single sport for wrestling, baseball, or lacrosse, because those sports have championships at the DII and DIII level.

SFU and Arizona State would get an offer from the NCHC eventually if they started DI hockey.  But the WCHA would probably invite them straight out of the gate, as western schools could minimize travel to Alaska for eastern schools.

Eastern Washington and Lindenwood are other possibilities for the WCHA.  E Wash has a rink on campus and could play games in Spokane. Lindenwood will finish their DII transition, so they would be eligible to move a sport to DI like men's hockey.  They have an option to buy the arena in St Charles MO.

The WCHA commish hinted that he sees more changes coming, including another league eventually forming.  There's a good chance BGSU, Ferris St, and UAH take their pucks elsewhere and go with western AHA teams and form a new conference.  A newspaper article from Bowling Green last year talked about that was likely to happen.

This one was worse. Miller bolted right after the draft. This kid said he was 100% before the draft and last week, each time when the rumors surfaced.

Well, it was worse for BC ;)...still pretty lame though...if he doesn't make it playing hockey he can always go back to the family business making cookies.
  • Upvote 1

yeah it looks like he did.

Nate from the Buzzing the net, posted that he had taken the tweet down.

Agree to disagree, but this should not be a staging ground for the CHL vs. NCAA war, so-called, although some will try to frame it as such (former BC star John Gaudreau tweeted that it was a "stupid hockey move" and subsequently deleted the tweet).

Along the same lines...

Kevin Hayes becomes free agent

I can certainly understand why he might not want to sign in Chicago due to organizational depth.  If he wants to get a quicker shot at playing in the NHL it would make sense for him to do this.  However, this may not be good for college hockey, as teams will take note and not let guys go this long without signing them.

Along the same lines...

Kevin Hayes becomes free agent

I can certainly understand why he might not want to sign in Chicago due to organizational depth.  If he wants to get a quicker shot at playing in the NHL it would make sense for him to do this.  However, this may not be good for college hockey, as teams will take note and not let guys go this long without signing them.

Exactly.  Doesn't happen very often but when it does, GM's sure point out the flaw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my CC season tickets in the mail yesterday along with a form letter from the new coach stating that his team intends to play an up-tempo, in-your-face style of hockey. I'm sure that sounds cliche but hopefully it's a return to former CC squads. Don't necessarily expect a repeat of Don Lucia's first season at CC back in '94-95 but hopefully we see improvement in intensity and execution.

Got my CC season tickets in the mail yesterday along with a form letter from the new coach stating that his team intends to play an up-tempo, in-your-face style of hockey. I'm sure that sounds cliche but hopefully it's a return to former CC squads. Don't necessarily expect a repeat of Don Lucia's first season at CC back in '94-95 but hopefully we see improvement in intensity and execution.

How big is CC's season ticket base down there? Do you know?

How big is CC's season ticket base down there? Do you know?

I don't know exactly but anecdotally speaking, having conversations with the guy at CC who handles season ticket matters, it had been shrinking over the past two seasons. I ended up having a lot of options as far as seat choices if that tells you anything.

The good news is, since Haviland got the coaching gig, interest has picked up and season ticket purchase momentum has picked up over the summer.

heraldphoto_bigger.jpgBrad E. Schlossman@SchlossmanGF 1m

Word is that Midco Sports Network is probably going to launch an NCHC show covering the entire league this season.

This is pretty fantastic if true.

Very true. Midco expanded their GF office to include a full time producer who will also anchor this new show. He's a semi familiar face for the region and attended Und. Loves Sioux hockey.

Midco filmed an nchc season preview with CBSSN pxp guy Ben Holden as well as an extensive 1 on 1 interview with NCHC Commish Josh Fenton.

• 2 weeks later...

Season stared last night

Ferris held off Michigan 4-3 after jumping out early

Michigan tech 5-3 over Lake Superior

Superior and tech again tonight

Jack eichel elite NHL prospect played in exh for BU. Eichel is the real deal if anyone gets chance to see him.

15 other exh games today besides UND

Miami lost last night 3-0 to USA u18. That USA team will be very very good!!

Other exh last night

Western mich tied 2-2

UNH, quinipiac and Robert Morris all lost exh games