SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp

UND Fan

I supported him as hard as I could but in the end he proved not to be a HC. Some just aren't. He gets a lot of blame, deservedly so, but as was touched on earlier the admin is to blame for his hire and, more importantly, the pathetic budget.

This^^^^^^ . Also what was the reason for Lennon leaving??

SHOCKER #3:  If it happens, you heard it here first folks:  Don’t be surprised if true freshman QB Keaton Studsrud gets his shirt pulled.  I know UND has two sophomore QB’s in Joe Mollberg and Ryan Bartels, but neither has done anything to separate themselves from each other.  Therein lies the problem.  How can the coaches be 100% confident heading into the season if neither can definitively pull away?  Studsrud has looked pretty good for a freshman in camp thus far and has the tools to be a good one.  We will keep an eye on it as it might not happen game #1, but could further into the season if things are not progressing at the QB position. 

Above from SFI. Anyone who has been to scrimmages / practices have any thoughts on this?

Here's the full SFI update: http://siouxfb.areavoices.com

So apparently now both Carter AND Harris are probably not going to red-shirt, plus Montague sounds like he may play some right away at safety. While I think it's great that they are playing well enough to have their shirts pulled, does this mean that none of the juco transfer db's are ready to play right now? Right now only Tillman, Carter, Brown and Harris are being mentioned as the primary contributors at corner.

Here's the full SFI update: http://siouxfb.areavoices.com

So apparently now both Carter AND Harris are probably not going to red-shirt, plus Montague sounds like he may play some right away at safety. While I think it's great that they are playing well enough to have their shirts pulled, does this mean that none of the juco transfer db's are good enough to play? Right now only Tillman, Carter, Brown and Harris are being mentioned as the primary contributors at corner.

The JUCOs will play some, but Tillman and Carter have looked the best, and Harris offers height at the CB position.

After reading the update, and thinking about what I've seen at practice, I'm thinking the offense is going to be below average this season. No QB wants to step up (I find it hard to believe Studsrud will play this year, but it may happen I suppose), the receiver position is youthful and inexperienced, and the O-line has little to no depth and has new players in new positions. All in all, I don't think the offense will be very smooth, especially in the beginning of the season.

With that said, I think the defense will be much improved over last year's defense. Both technique and talent of the defensive players has improved and the coaching emphasis is on that side of ball now. 

So, even if the offense isn't prolific, it is possible the defense could play solid and create turnovers. If that happens, and only if that happens, then this year's team could win 5 or 6 games. The defense needs to be good though. 

However, no need to panic; this team is on the right track. If Bubba and staff can continue to put together recruiting classes like the one they put together this year in very little time, UND will be a top Big Sky team in a year or two. 

... scared of the hire because of his personality and demeanor. ...

I never got a good vibe from Mussman when he'd speak publicly in place of Lennon. He didn't carry himself as "head coach material".

Honestly, I had my doubts about Bubba as a head coach too until I saw that he could do it (UMD). 

The guy who carried himself like a head coach to my eyes was Mike Mannasau. 

Above from SFI. Anyone who has been to scrimmages / practices have any thoughts on this?

My take is only from the scrimmage 2 weekends ago, but would agree on the part that he isn't ready right now.  He did make some nice throws but looked like he struggled all around for the most part.  Thought Mollberg looked better than Bartels but didn't get to see all of their reps.  Also agree that if neither of the two step up, something will have to be done. 

How about the running back position? With only four in camp, it's likely they will all see some action, but how have they looked. Has Simmons moved up the depth chart since he has returned to action. Has anyone else taken any big steps forward?

Per SFI, it sounds like Simmons will start, with Shaugabay backing him up.

My take is only from the scrimmage 2 weekends ago, but would agree on the part that he isn't ready right now.  He did make some nice throws but looked like he struggled all around for the most part.  Thought Mollberg looked better than Bartels but didn't get to see all of their reps.  Also agree that if neither of the two step up, something will have to be done. 

is it possible that molberg and bartels looked better in practice last year with better receivers and a weaker secondary to practice against.  might be a reflection of how much better our secondary is this year.  ???

Mollberg named week #1 starter, per Herald.

Now with that mystery out of the way, hopefully they (UND staff/players) can concentrate on making the offense better, and Mollberg can take this opportunity (as a starter) to better himself with new players/coaches and come out and show them they didn't make a mistake in making him a starter. I just hope we don't see the 2 QB thing that Muss was famous for.

Now with that mystery out of the way, hopefully they (UND staff/players) can concentrate on making the offense better, and Mollberg can take this opportunity (as a starter) to better himself with new players/coaches and come out and show them they didn't make a mistake in making him a starter. I just hope we don't see the 2 QB thing that Muss was famous for.

2 QB thing wont happen if Mollberg is productive and efficient; that is, this is Mollberg's job to lose. If he protects the ball (which he didn't do last year - had more interceptions than touchdowns) and is efficient passing, then he will be doing his job and he will keep his job. Offense can't afford to put the defense in bad situations. 

That would be surprising...and possibly not a good move.

I say Simmons at #1 and Shaugabay at #2

Yeah... you'd think, and it might turn out that way. Decisions are always being evaluated and re-evaluated -- so who knows how old information is when you hear it.

2 QB thing wont happen if Mollberg is productive and efficient; that is, this is Mollberg's job to lose. If he protects the ball (which he didn't do last year - had more interceptions than touchdowns) and is efficient passing, then he will be doing his job and he will keep his job. Offense can't afford to put the defense in bad situations. 

Hopefully with a new offenseive gameplan he won't need to throw the ball deep or much at all. Run baby run!!