SiouxSports.com Forum

Rick Bennett

SIOUXFAN97

Eades already has a couple championship rings.....

i know he does....i'm saying the next one he gets before hak gets one (in the next ten years maybe if we don't run into another "hot goalie") is the one he is gonna show off a little extra to hak at reunions...

i'm not surprised they would be sitting near each other...i don't think eades is gonna cut hak out of his life i'm just saying that eades will have little bigger smile than normal showing off that national championship ring the first time running into hak after winning it (while hak has no championship rings at any level......ever??)

I'm not buying what you're selling.

Yeah I don't think they really give full scholarships out for any of their sports and they usually give most players partials. I know what they gave me when I was a freshman for football was like $500 for academics and then like a $1500 athletics. Yeah he isn't really their because of the scholarship but because it is a good program and within a few hours of home and one of the more affordable schools as well.

Were you on one of those teams that did not win a game? I have always wondered why the football team did so bad and the baseball and basketball usually are pretty good?

OMG, just because this revenge movie is playing in your head doesn't mean it is playing in Eades head!

If you knew why he got so called "fired" like you say, you would know he wouldn't be wanting revenge at anyone...

Why does this have to be a "secret" that only about half the posters know? Believe me - when things are phrased like this the reality can't be worse than what most people who are not in the know think.
  • Upvote 1

Why does this have to be a "secret" that only about half the posters know? Believe me - when things are phrased like this the reality can't be worse than what most people who are not in the know think.

I'm one of the people who don't know why Eades and UND parted ways. But candidly, I really don't want anyone to post the "reason" on this or any other public message board, for a couple of reasons.

First, that "reason" may not be true, and if it isn't I really have no interest in besmirching Eades or UND with a false accusation.

Second, even if the "reason" is true, it obviously hasn't been made public by Eades, or for that matter, the University. From Eades' standpoint, that's probably because he just prefers it that way.

Why run someone's name through the mud, if in fact the "reason" is either embarassing or bad, especially someone with the connections to the school that Carey has, just because a bunch of message board posters want to speculate as to whether there is bad blood between the parties.

• Upvote 1

Were you on one of those teams that did not win a game? I have always wondered why the football team did so bad and the baseball and basketball usually are pretty good?

I was there for a year and had an injury during camp and redshirted the year I was there but I believe the team won one game that year. I transferred after that season because the attitude and atmosphere around the program was just something that I couldn't deal with. I had always played on successful teams in high school and I couldn't take the consistent losing and how many of the older guys on the team had just accepted it and even made jokes about it. I believe they have a new coach and have started to win a few games although part of that is probably because they have started to play some teams more on their same level outside the conference.

I'm one of the people who don't know why Eades and UND parted ways. But candidly, I really don't want anyone to post the "reason" on this or any other public message board, for a couple of reasons.

First, that "reason" may not be true, and if it isn't I really have no interest in besmirching Eades or UND with a false accusation.

Second, even if the "reason" is true, it obviously hasn't been made public by Eades, or for that matter, the University. From Eades' standpoint, that's probably because he just prefers it that way.

Why run someone's name through the mud, if in fact the "reason" is either embarassing or bad, especially someone with the connections to the school that Carey has, just because a bunch of message board posters want to speculate as to whether there is bad blood between the parties.

I don't disagree with you - not looking to bash Eades or be sensational - just frustrating when those "in the know" constantly refer to the secret reason that only they are privy to.

I think the Rick Bennett successes bring up a varitey of questions about winning, building a team, and the landscape of college hockey.

It only took him 3 years to build Union ( who has been mediocre at best forever) into a championship team that pounded BC (last year and this year) and number one Minnesota. Coupled with Yale's win last year does this mean that a new type of team is needed to be successful? We have seen an evolution from the teams that would pound you (UND in the 80's and 90's) to a team that would buzz you with smaller talent (BC), now to teams that rely on non-drafted college only players. Does UND make some changes? If so, what? For sure this has shown that the turn-around time for teams doesn't have to be very long (as proved by Gino and Dean). Is there a new style of hockey at the college level? What if anything does this mean and what should we adjust to?

On the money issue, a lot of private schools do not give merit based aid or athletic scholarships but are basically applying a fiction to "need based" aid. My daughter went to Columbia and got a boat load of "need based" aid, though she didn't qualify for a penny of need based aid at public universities, even those with pretty large endowments, like Wisconsin. Union is not an ivy, but they probably have a large enough endowment to put money where they want to. And now that the trustees are enjoying a NCAA title, it might get even easier to toss endowment money that direction.

It's still quite an accomplishment to do what they did and a nice thing to have another player in the title hunt.

On the money issue, a lot of private schools do not give merit based aid or athletic scholarships but are basically applying a fiction to "need based" aid. My daughter went to Columbia and got a boat load of "need based" aid, though she didn't qualify for a penny of need based aid at public universities, even those with pretty large endowments, like Wisconsin. Union is not an ivy, but they probably have a large enough endowment to put money where they want to. And now that the trustees are enjoying a NCAA title, it might get even easier to toss endowment money that direction.

It's still quite an accomplishment to do what they did and a nice thing to have another player in the title hunt.

They have like $328,000,000 to work with.

so eades was ok with being hak's assistant but he wouldn't like being bennetts assistant at cc??

pretty sure eades is itching to get into the nchc to show up the guy that fired him...

Eades has no reason for any ill will toward Hakstol. He has no one to blame but himself if he wanted to stay at UND.

Eades has no reason for any ill will toward Hakstol. He has no one to blame but himself if he wanted to stay at UND.

Eades contract was up and Hak knew he was going to get a head coaching job elsewhere, so he chose not to bring him back. If anyone thinks it was because of his "infidelities", you are very mistaken.

What about this? http://www.startribu...7241.html Seth Ambroz parents got a trip to Philly paid for them. Is that an issue?

The answer depends on whether any of the contributors were U of M boosters, and whether their relationship with Ambroz's parents is independent of U of M Athletics.

So, this might be a violation that would render Ambroz ineligible. (Or it might not. Not enough information.)

Based on a quick google search ... here's what Texas A&M (a bastion of athletic integrity) says to their boosters:

EXTRA BENEFIT ISSUES:

Q: What is an extra benefit? What are some examples?

A: An extra benefit is any special arrangement to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete’s relatives (emphasis added) or friends with a benefit not authorized by NCAA rules. The NCAA allows Texas A&M to provide student-athletes with the following: scholarships to cover tuition, fees, room, board and books; a limited number of complimentary admissions to Aggie athletic events; practice or competition-related apparel; travel; equipment; medical treatment and much more. It is a violation of NCAA rules for a student-athlete to receive benefits not authorized under NCAA guidelines unless the same benefit is available to a segment of a population unrelated to athletics or to all Texas A&M students or their parents/guardians.

Examples of Extra Benefits a Booster CANNOT provide:

• Cash or gifts.
  • The use of personal property (e.g., boats, summer houses/condos, automobiles).
  • A special discount arrangement or credit on a purchase (e.g. airline tickets, clothing).
  • Arranging, providing, or co-signing on a loan.
  • Providing any kind of transportation or the use of a car.
  • Gifts of food, clothing or equipment.
  • Arranging or providing free or reduced cost professional services (e.g., free dental or medical services, haircuts, automotive services, laundry, dry cleaning)
  • The use of a telephone or telephone credit card for free long distance calls.
  • Entertainment or the purchase of meals or services at commercial establishments.
  • An invitation to play on your country club golf course or eat a meal there.
  • A benefit connected with off-campus housing that is not available to all residents (e.g., television sets, electronic equipment, room furnishings, and specialized recreational facilities).
  • Room, board, or transportation costs (including a stay in your home or transportation to or from a job).
  • Typing or incurring other costs associated with school projects, reports, or resumes.
  • Financial rewards for athletic performance.
  • An honorarium or fee for a speaking engagement or other appearance.
  • A guarantee of a bond.
  • Giving tickets to a student-athlete to a Texas A&M or community athletic event (e.g., state high school basketball tournament tickets; high school games, collegiate, professional or any sporting event).
  • A benefit derived by a student-athlete who sells complimentary tickets to a Texas A&M event.
  • Arranging or providing free or reduced cost housing.
  • Arranging or providing employment for a student-athlete's parents, guardians or friends.

The answer depends on whether any of the contributors were U of M boosters, and whether their relationship with Ambroz's parents is independent of U of M Athletics.

So, this might be a violation that would render Ambroz ineligible. (Or it might not. Not enough information.)

Based on a quick google search ... here's what Texas A&M (a bastion of athletic integrity) says to their boosters:

EXTRA BENEFIT ISSUES:

Q: What is an extra benefit? What are some examples?

A: An extra benefit is any special arrangement to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete’s relatives (emphasis added) or friends with a benefit not authorized by NCAA rules. The NCAA allows Texas A&M to provide student-athletes with the following: scholarships to cover tuition, fees, room, board and books; a limited number of complimentary admissions to Aggie athletic events; practice or competition-related apparel; travel; equipment; medical treatment and much more. It is a violation of NCAA rules for a student-athlete to receive benefits not authorized under NCAA guidelines unless the same benefit is available to a segment of a population unrelated to athletics or to all Texas A&M students or their parents/guardians.

Examples of Extra Benefits a Booster CANNOT provide:

• Cash or gifts.
  • The use of personal property (e.g., boats, summer houses/condos, automobiles).
  • A special discount arrangement or credit on a purchase (e.g. airline tickets, clothing).
  • Arranging, providing, or co-signing on a loan.
  • Providing any kind of transportation or the use of a car.
  • Gifts of food, clothing or equipment.
  • Arranging or providing free or reduced cost professional services (e.g., free dental or medical services, haircuts, automotive services, laundry, dry cleaning)
  • The use of a telephone or telephone credit card for free long distance calls.
  • Entertainment or the purchase of meals or services at commercial establishments.
  • An invitation to play on your country club golf course or eat a meal there.
  • A benefit connected with off-campus housing that is not available to all residents (e.g., television sets, electronic equipment, room furnishings, and specialized recreational facilities).
  • Room, board, or transportation costs (including a stay in your home or transportation to or from a job).
  • Typing or incurring other costs associated with school projects, reports, or resumes.
  • Financial rewards for athletic performance.
  • An honorarium or fee for a speaking engagement or other appearance.
  • A guarantee of a bond.
  • Giving tickets to a student-athlete to a Texas A&M or community athletic event (e.g., state high school basketball tournament tickets; high school games, collegiate, professional or any sporting event).
  • A benefit derived by a student-athlete who sells complimentary tickets to a Texas A&M event.
  • Arranging or providing free or reduced cost housing.
  • Arranging or providing employment for a student-athlete's parents, guardians or friends.

So it technically might be a violation. It would be very sad if the NCAA did anything about it. But there are rules that need to be followed. I hope they contacted the UM athletic department to make sure it would not be an issue.

Head Coach/GM of a TOP TEIR I USHL team is working out pretty good for him so far.....

Not a college team though. He did not leave by choice and it had nothing to do with a contract. If I am not mistaken they are on a year to year contract. Also as if he would have never left for the job in Sioux Falls. He would not have even applied for it. He is gone because of his own mistake and no one else is at fault.

Why?

Also, why does everyone on this site bash former coaches. It wasn't Eades fault he's gone.

Then whose fault it? I like Cary and respect his coaching abilities. But it is his own fault he is gone (think Best Buy CEO). He did the same thing in college. His girlfriend at the time sorority sisters could never figure out why she put up with him. They were happy when she dumped him and these were her best friends. By the way he was still trying to pick up 24 year olds with nice racks in Sioux Falls. Cary has always been that way. It is who he is and has nothing to do with his coaching abilities that are top notch. An ex UND player who played under him told me the Sioux Falls story. One of his ex-girlfriend and sorority sister told me the rest. So if you want to call them liars go right ahead.