SiouxSports.com Forum

Rick Bennett

SIOUXFAN97

In three years Rick Bennett has made the NCAA tournament three times, the frozen four twice, and won a national championship. Is it time for Faison to make a phone call and offer him a three year 1 million dollar contract?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........

Hmm..... those are impressive stats. But we have a very young and promising team that's going to develop nicely over the off season. Plus we shouldn't have any players leaving for the professional ranks. I think this year's NCAA tournament was just what the younger guys needed to really believe in what they are capable of. I predict next year we will be hanging a few banners up in the Ralph!

In three years Rick Bennett has made the NCAA tournament three times, the frozen four twice, and won a national championship. Is it time for Faison to make a phone call and offer him a three year 1 million dollar contract?

Haha... I know what you mean but Hak isn't going anywhere.

The crazy thing is that Union had 1 drafted player and 0 scholorship players at a pretty expensive college.

The crazy thing is that Union had 1 drafted player and 0 scholorship players at a pretty expensive college.

Technically 0 scholarships but their whole tuition is pretty much covered through other ways its not these players are on the hook for a lot of tuition. People make way too big of deal of them having no scholarships like it actually effects them when really there isn't a whole lot of difference between what they do and every other school does they just may not call it an athletic scholarship.

• Upvote 3

As has been pointed out in other threads, although it may be technically correct to say they don't have any scholarship players, that's a pretty deceiving comment. Those kids aren't paying full tuition to go to school and play hockey at Union.

• Upvote 1

As has been pointed out in other threads, although it may be technically correct to say they don't have any scholarship players, that's a pretty deceiving comment. Those kids aren't paying full tuition to go to school and play hockey at Union.

Yeah I did read that too. Do you know what kind of academic benifits they get (% of tuition)? Or are you guessing that they get most covered because it was mentioned they get other tuition benefit options. Either way...the thing that sticks out to me was the 1 draft pick thing. On the flip side, Union may be hurting next year as they did have a decent amount of seniors on this team. Also, I think Shayne G. is going to bolt.

It's an interesting topic, because we were recently revisiting Bennett's loss-of-mind episode earlier this year against RPI, and wondering if that would have gotten Hak or other NCHC coaches fired. At least one national analyst was calling for a suspension for the rest of the year, and I think he got two games for it. Just youtube search for some combination of Bennett, Union and RPI and it should be easy to find. Compare it to Hak's momentary lapse in judgement and decide if they deserved about the same punishment.

My daughter plays hockey at Concordia. With grant and scholarship money roughly 65% is paid for which is good since it's a bit spendy to go there.

Check out how many athletes get scholarship money and tuition waivers at Mayville State, another non-scholarship school. Most of the student body.

That is incorrect Mayville does give athletic scholarships. I got a football scholarship out of high school from them and my brother has a baseball scholarship there now. They may not give full athletic scholarships but they do give athletic scholarships.

Yeah I did read that too. Do you know what kind of academic benifits they get (% of tuition)? Or are you guessing that they get most covered because it was mentioned they get other tuition benefit options. Either way...the thing that sticks out to me was the 1 draft pick thing. On the flip side, Union may be hurting next year as they did have a decent amount of seniors on this team. Also, I think Shayne G. is going to bolt.

No, I don't know exactly what they'd get, but I do know it can be pretty generous (see Sioux Rube's Concordia comment). I do know that Canadians also get a TON of financial help and incentives to go to these colleges. I don't know off hand how many Canadians are on their roster, but that would be interesting to find out.

EDIT: Just looked it up and it looks like about 9.

Does the grant and scholarships that are not athletic scholarships get scrutinized by NCAA? Can I give each Sioux player $1000 per month grant to go to UND? With our fan base, Could we put enough grants together to compete with the CHL?

?, No, No

that's what i'm kind of worried about...bennett goes to cc and brings in eades as his top guy??

anyone know what owens made his last year and what bennett made this year at union?

I doubt Eades is going to take a job and be second fiddle to Bennett, let alone anyone else.

that's what i'm kind of worried about...bennett goes to cc and brings in eades as his top guy??

anyone know what owens made his last year and what bennett made this year at union?

Why in the world would Rick Bennett go to CC? A clear step down, imho.

Contrary to our "western world view" of hockey out here, not everyone in the hockey world thinks that upper echelon ECAC or Hockey East jobs are just stepping stones to the prime coaching positions out west.

There are probably about 6-7 positions that Bennett might consider leaving Union for, and CC isn't one of them.

Besides, I think a certain MN assistant coach is going to be a leading candidate for the CC position.

I doubt Eades is going to take a job and be second fiddle to Bennett, let alone anyone else.

so eades was ok with being hak's assistant but he wouldn't like being bennetts assistant at cc??

pretty sure eades is itching to get into the nchc to show up the guy that fired him...

Why in the world would Rick Bennett go to CC? A clear step down, imho.

Contrary to our "western world view" of hockey out here, not everyone in the hockey world thinks that upper echelon ECAC or Hockey East jobs are just stepping stones to the prime coaching positions out west.

There are probably about 6-7 positions that Bennett might consider leaving Union for, and CC isn't one of them.

Besides, I think a certain MN assistant coach is going to be a leading candidate for the CC position.

$$$$$