SiouxSports.com Forum

Rick Bennett

SIOUXFAN97

Then whose fault it? I like Cary and respect his coaching abilities. But it is his own fault he is gone (think Best Buy CEO). He did the same thing in college. His girlfriend at the time sorority sisters could never figure out why she put up with him. They were happy when she dumped him and these were her best friends. By the way he was still trying to pick up 24 year olds with nice racks in Sioux Falls. Cary has always been that way. It is who he is and has nothing to do with his coaching abilities that are top notch. An ex UND player who played under him told me the Sioux Falls story. One of his ex-girlfriend and sorority sister told me the rest. So if you want to call them liars go right ahead.

Not calling you a liar but his AFTER work activities are his own business. Not sure why you care so much about praising Eades over Hak and then trashing Eades in this next comment.

Not calling you a liar but his AFTER work activities are his own business. Not sure why you care so much about praising Eades over Hak and then trashing Eades in this next comment.

That is the point. I agree that it was his own business but when there is a moral terpitude clause in your contract then it is your own fault when you violate it. I am not trashing him. He is what he is and I have no problem with it. When you are a public figure you have to take the good with the bad.

Then whose fault it? I like Cary and respect his coaching abilities. But it is his own fault he is gone (think Best Buy CEO). He did the same thing in college. His girlfriend at the time sorority sisters could never figure out why she put up with him. They were happy when she dumped him and these were her best friends. By the way he was still trying to pick up 24 year olds with nice racks in Sioux Falls. Cary has always been that way. It is who he is and has nothing to do with his coaching abilities that are top notch. An ex UND player who played under him told me the Sioux Falls story. One of his ex-girlfriend and sorority sister told me the rest. So if you want to call them liars go right ahead.

Good effing grief...from "FireHakstol.com" to "SiouxSmutReport.com"?

That's some great insider information...any other big scoops to report? Did Rocco attend the Pi Phi spring formal? Was Saunders seen sneaking out of Squires Residence Hall last weekend at 3:00am?

GF Confidential...off the record...on the QT...and very hush-hush.

• Upvote 1

I think the Rick Bennett successes bring up a varitey of questions about winning, building a team, and the landscape of college hockey.

It only took him 3 years to build Union ( who has been mediocre at best forever) into a championship team that pounded BC (last year and this year) and number one Minnesota.

Valid points but Bennett had a part into building them up into where they are being an assistant coach for the 6 years prior and the top assistant the last 4 of those. Much of the rebuilding happened while he was an assistant. Their winning percentages were .526%, .615% and .700% the three years before he took over, losing to eventual champion Duluth in the first round of Leamann's last year there.

Not at all saying he doesn't appear to be a great coach and has accomplished a ton in a short period of time as the head guy, quite amazing actually, but he didn't step into a dumpster fire and turn it around in 3 years either. Much of the work had already been done to get them to them out of mediocrity before he took over as head coach and he obviously was able to help them go to the next step. Will be interesting to see if they will be a flash in the pan or if they can maintain competing at a high level.

That really is a terrific story.

One of the nice things about the story is that Ambroz really didn't have a lot of connection with the New Prague hockey team, at least at the high school level. He left early to head to the USHL, as I recall, so if anything you might think there would be a tiny bit of unhappiness that the family pulled the kid out of what is generally a pretty unheralded MN high school hockey program.

Instead, it's pretty obvious those associated with the school think pretty highly of the Ambroz family. I'm glad they got a chance to see their son play. Had to have been a pretty big thrill.

I found that a very touching story. A guy who is so dependable he'll show up for work instead of watch his kid play in the NCAA tournament because there's no one to cover for him.....I don't care about NCAA rules (and I understand the reason for them, give someone an inch, someone else will take a mile. I get it). I'm happy their friends and co-workers made it happen and after reading the story almost felt bad that they had to watch a loss.

Maybe I felt bad for them, but not for the gophers.

• Upvote 1

Eades contract was up and Hak knew he was going to get a head coaching job elsewhere, so he chose not to bring him back. If anyone thinks it was because of his "infidelities", you are very mistaken.

I don't know anything about "infidelities".

ask steve alford and new mexico if long term contracts mean anything anymore...bennett will go anywhere if the money is right and if he feels it gets him closer to his ultimate goal of being an nhl coach (if in fact that is his ultimate goal).

Steve Alford is a jerk, there was a reason his wife kicked him out and he was living in a hotel in iowa city in his last years there. But that is irrelevant to Sioux hockey, just hoping we can get some finishers at the forward position next year. Tired of seeing all these shots high and missing the net, or running into a hot goalie, not asking for another DOT line (although that would be great), just a few guys that when they get the puck in the slot, they bury it. I am not a huge Hakstol fan, but can't fault him for Grimaldi consistently missing the net, can't score if you don't hit the damn net.