SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

No one. I was simply trying to note that some players will play through injury to play for their countries. That is what you were trying to convey with your initial post correct?

An injury is an injury and one can either play thru it or he/she can't. It shouldn't be situational is my point.

That was a classic example of an otherwise good goalie not showing up.

How about that loaded Toews led UND team that got absolutely lit up by BC? That was one of the worst feelings I've had watching a game ever. I've never seen an egg of that size laid before.

Wasn't that the year we scored 5 goals and BC scored 6? Not sure I'd classify that as laying an egg.

Now, if you want to talk about the Denver FF...

We were playing catch up that game and keeping up until I think porter took that penalty for hitting high. Wild game with that sick backhand by osh and wild save by lammy I think.

Denver , was back at Boston's bar by 1st period end and never went back. What a disaster.

Check this out, it was in the Dakota Student. I have been to three games in the John, and I am sorry, I am not impressed with that place. 

When it comes to having a nice game atmosphere, I actually give the prize to the U of M. After the initial surprise of what my privileged used-to-fanciness self wanted to call the “rustic” conditions of the arena, I realized how much nicer it really was. For starters, the student section seemed a far nicer place to be than the one at The Ralph — at least from what I gathered at this game. It was smaller than ours, and not all the seats were filled, but it had something I’ve not felt as often at UND games: Genuineness. What I mean is that it really felt like the students were there to have a good time watching hockey together. At UND games, the overwhelming size of the arena and mass of the crowd adds an understood vibe of, “We’re all here because look how exciting it is to be at a UND game; there are lasers and light shows and loud music and tons of people might see my face on the big screen if it lands on me.”

Check this out, it was in the Dakota Student. I have been to three games in the John, and I am sorry, I am not impressed with that place. 

Isn't Mariucci Arena trying to be more like the Ralph? They added seats that they can't fill and are planning to make the ice surface smaller to add more seating they cant fill now, then added a score board like the one at the Ralph. I don't think the writer has ever seen a Minnesota game on TV. 

Mariucci is awful. Absolutely awful. This includes the atmosphere. 

The concourses are not wide enough, if they are crowded during an intermission, good luck getting back to your seat in time for the next period. 

They cater to corporates way too much. That's why when you try to buy single game tickets you're stuck with standing room only or a single seat. 

Their student section. When UND plays there, they know like a handful of chants they repeat the same ones over and over again. All of which they copied from Wisconsin. 

• Upvote 3

The concourses are not wide enough, if they are crowded during an intermission, good luck getting back to your seat in time for the next period. 

They cater to corporates way too much. That's why when you try to buy single game tickets you're stuck with standing room only or a single seat. 

Their student section. When UND plays there, they know like a handful of chants they repeat the same ones over and over again. All of which they copied from Wisconsin. 

The fans also have a spelling bee to teach other how to spell the state they live in. 

But they'll respond with "But the sightlines are the best in the whole wide world" :silly:

Back in the 1990's, I got so sick and tired of Sid Hartman trying to tell everybody that The John was better than most NHL arenas.  Talk about hyperbole!  I am willing to bet that U of M's old arena had a much better atmosphere than The John.  The new REA has some atmosphere issues, don't get me wrong, but The John has always been a sterile, overrated corporate playpen.

Damn this would have been cool for both teams and college hockey!

@SchlossmanGF: BU is No. 1, UND is No. 2 in the poll. They were extremely close to playing a HoF Game in Madison Square Garden this year, too. Too bad.

No doubt!  The teams played very entertaining games the last 2 seasons in GF and in Boston.  Now with both having more talented teams it would've been a great road trip!

I am willing to bet that U of M's old arena had a much better atmosphere than The John.

As a fan who has seen games at both the old and new Mariucci Arenas, I can tell you that the atmosphere at the old arena was incredible. It really was an intimidating place for opposing teams and fans.

• Upvote 1

Damn this would have been cool for both teams and college hockey!

@SchlossmanGF: BU is No. 1, UND is No. 2 in the poll. They were extremely close to playing a HoF Game in Madison Square Garden this year, too. Too bad.

Too bad BU didn't come to the Ralph this year, I would like to see Eichel play in person.  Although I suppose there is a chance of seeing him in Fargo... or Boston