SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Fun quiz for Gopher fans. who are 2 of the oldest players to ever play in the WCHA?

Dan Woog who turned 25 shortly after his senior season.

Steve DeBus was 25 during his 3rd season and would have been 26 if he had played his 4th season.

But as you know, Jason Blake turned 25 before his last season with UND started.  Dan Woog, who had a redshirt season, was still 24 during his last game as a Gopher.  Steve DeBus did not turn 25 until after he started he last season with the Gophers.

Sorry, but neither Dan Woog or Steve DeBus were the oldest players to ever play in the WCHA.  In fact, Jason Blake, albeit an American and not a Canadian, was older than both.

How about Mattson?

Respectfully.....not a chance.  He brings way too much offense and he's a senior. As long as he's partnered with Ladue (or Schmaltz I guess) he'll be fine.  I also read he had a great development camp for the Hawks.  I am actually expecting him to have a very productive year.  High 20's point total is my prediction.

But as you know, Jason Blake turned 25 before his last season with UND started.  Dan Woog, who had a redshirt season, was still 24 during his last game as a Gopher.  Steve DeBus did not turn 25 until after he started he last season with the Gophers.

Sorry, but neither Dan Woog or Steve DeBus were the oldest players to ever play in the WCHA.  In fact, Jason Blake, albeit an American and not a Canadian, was older than both.

You are correct, but if you give Dan Woog a break for his redshirt season, you have to give Blake a break for having to sit a season due to a transfer...

Respectfully.....not a chance.  He brings way too much offense and he's a senior. As long as he's partnered with Ladue (or Schmaltz I guess) he'll be fine.  I also read he had a great development camp for the Hawks.  I am actually expecting him to have a very productive year.  High 20's point total is my prediction.

He needs to play like he did when he was a freshman..just seemed so much more confident with the puck.

Didn't say they were the oldest, just among the oldest. Blake did play a year at Ferris State and then sat out a transfer year and he turned 25 in September of his senior season(so just before hockey season started), Debus turned 25 a month into his 'Junior" season(November). And Woog didn't actually turn 25 until about a month after his senior season......Debus would have been 26 as a senior.

On a Sunday afternoon game at the Old Ralph(I was actually in attendance), UND fell behind 3-0 early and the Gopher chirping started and once UND scored 1 everyone(the Gopher fans I was with looked at me and said f^ck, can we leave....it was the loudest arena I had heard to that point) could kind of feel the momentum changing and Blake who never needed an invitation to run his yapper started letting the Gopher bench have it pretty good as UND poured in 5 straight goals in a short amount of time to run the Gophs out of the building....at some point during the onslaught of goals, Coach Doug Woog made some statement to Blake about being 25 and Blake told him he was "only" 24 but he would be 25 next year and said that he would be back again but asked Woog if he would be.(Woog tells that story great!)

I believe Quinnipiac had several 24 year olds on their roster in the 2013 NCAA title game...

Weren't you 28 when you captained your intramural co-ed softball team to the campus title during your 9th year at UND?

Im 36 and just enrolled to take a few more classes.

anybody know when the tryouts are for this season?

You know, I have two more seasons of eligibility left, maybe I could walk on the football team. :) After listening to Bubba talk, I was convinced. 

Hate to say it, but mister injury will probably end up having a say in which defenseman sits.  It was unusual last year to have only seven defensemen and not have short roster issues at some point.  The team probably won't be so lucky again this year.

Hate to say it, but mister injury will probably end up having a say in which defenseman sits.  It was unusual last year to have only seven defensemen and not have short roster issues at some point.  The team probably won't be so lucky again this year.

I think you're right.

We had 8 d-men on the roster last year and will so again this year. Don't forget about Panzarella. I agree though that injuries are the great equalizer. Thompson doesn't get his chance to run with the 6th d spot last year without Ausmus getting dinged up a bit.

We had 8 d-men on the roster last year and will so again this year. Don't forget about Panzarella. I agree though that injuries are the great equalizer. Thompson doesn't get his chance to run with the 6th d spot last year without Ausmus getting dinged up a bit.

You may be right, but Thompson was a 3rd rounder, one has to believe Hak had to get him in there here and there on the sole fact that he needed to develop.  You can't sit a third rounder the entire year unless he absoutely flops initially.  Thomspson has all the skill in the world but is a little rough around the edges.  I believe he will make a decent jump this year.  I also think Hak should start him out with Schmaltz and see how it goes.

Weren't you 28 when you captained your intramural co-ed softball team to the campus title during your 9th year at UND?

Did you somehow forget that we went back-to-back-to-back, winning 3 straight titles? NDSU football isn't the only 3-peat team in North Dakota. We absolutely smoked the Pi Beta Phi/Sigma Chi pledge team in the title game to complete the hat trick.

You may be right, but Thompson was a 3rd rounder, one has to believe Hak had to get him in there here and there on the sole fact that he needed to develop.  You can't sit a third rounder the entire year unless he absoutely flops initially.  Thomspson has all the skill in the world but is a little rough around the edges.  I believe he will make a decent jump this year.  I also think Hak should start him out with Schmaltz and see how it goes.

He and Ausmus were alternating most weekends one playing Friday and the other Saturday but towards the end of the year Ausmus was dinged and Thompson made the most of his opportunity and ran with it. I am not saying Thompson wouldn't have played at all if it wasn't for the injury by any means as like I said they were rotating most of the season. I think Thompson may have come the farthest from start to finish as any freshman I have ever seen. He looked lost at the beginning of the year and even in the game against the US National Development Team. He made huge strides and I am hoping he can make another big jump this year.

He and Ausmus were alternating most weekends one playing Friday and the other Saturday but towards the end of the year Ausmus was dinged and Thompson made the most of his opportunity and ran with it. I am not saying Thompson wouldn't have played at all if it wasn't for the injury by any means as like I said they were rotating most of the season. I think Thompson may have come the farthest from start to finish as any freshman I have ever seen. He looked lost at the beginning of the year and even in the game against the US National Development Team. He made huge strides and I am hoping he can make another big jump this year.

I pretty much agree with you.  He was solid at the end of the year last year.  I am excited to see him play this year.

My claim to fame or maybe infamy?

5 Intramural softball titles spread over 3 different decades, 3 different schools(2 of which I never attended).

2000-NDSU

1994-Moorhead State

1986, 1987, 1989-UND

• Upvote 1

My claim to fame or maybe infamy?

5 Intramural softball titles spread over 3 different decades, 3 different schools(2 of which I never attended).

2000-NDSU

1994-Moorhead State

1986, 1987, 1989-UND

So you were 32 for the last one? Nice.