SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. FERRIS STATE - Saturday 5:30 ESPNU

AZSIOUX

Damn bookies....they're typically really good at their jobs. That's odd because they had UND beating a highly ranked Wisconsin team yesterday.

The boys will just have to prove them wrong. I have faith in our guys.

I'm never going to overlook a team that won their league championship. The McNaughton trophy will be in their facility for at least a year, and they earned it.

UND will be prepared. Still lucky to be in the NCAA tournament, and they played like it against a team that I feel beats them in a seven game series, or even a three game series.

Teams given a second chance at life seem like the toughest ones to knock over. UND 3-0 in games that would end their season.

It is not that I think Ferris is a bad team or that they can not beat the Sioux on any given night, but if both teams play to their potential the Sioux win 8 of 10... I don't believe for 1 second that Ferris in is the NCAA tournament if they don't play an incredibly weak schedule in the WCHA. In last year's WCHA they would have been an also ran just like Mankato was.

The one thing that they have going for them is a solid goaltender. We have seen the Sioux drop about 5 games to hot goaltenders this year.

The fact that the Sioux can play a power puck control game is a very good match up give their very small D-men. The Sioux should be able to hustle and cycle pretty well. While their D is mobile, they are no where near the talent of our D. My biggest fear against them would be breakout passes catching sleeping D (i.e. Mattson / Schmaltz). If the Sioux can control play for the first 5 minutes and avoid grabbing penalties, I think they walk away with this. Also look for the Sioux to wear down Ferris with a physical game that is not like any team they played this year.

After last season, North Dakota suffered huge losses with the graduation of Danny Kristo, Corban Knight, Carter Rowney, Joe Gleason, and Andrew MacWilliam, plus the early departure of Derek Forbort. The six UND stalwarts collected 176 of North Dakota’s 361 points, good for 48.8 percent of UND’s production last year.

I should add that this year's group of seniors (Dillon Simpson, Derek Rodwell, and Mitch MacMillan) has collected 35 of UND's 332 points so far this season, good for 10.5 percent. The cupboard is definitely full.

It is not that I think Ferris is a bad team or that they can not beat the Sioux on any given night, but if both teams play to their potential the Sioux win 8 of 10...

While their D is mobile, they are no where near the talent of our D. My biggest fear against them would be breakout passes catching sleeping D (i.e. Mattson / Schmaltz). If the Sioux can control play for the first 5 minutes and avoid grabbing penalties, I think they walk away with this. Also look for the Sioux to wear down Ferris with a physical game that is not like any team they played this year.

Sheesh...just 8 days ago, this team was no better than the Williston Squirt B team...now they're apparently the 1972 Soviet Union squad...

• Upvote 1

Sheesh...just 8 days ago, this team was no better than the Williston Squirt B team...now they're apparently the 1972 Soviet Union squad...

You got something to say about Williston hockey? Bud..... :lol:

I'll try and mold my kid into the next Jordan Nelson. If my family is here that long, or if Shattuck doesn't come calling.

• Upvote 1

I should add that this year's group of seniors (Dillon Simpson, Derek Rodwell, and Mitch MacMillan) has collected 35 of UND's 332 points so far this season, good for 10.5 percent. The cupboard is definitely full.

How dare you cloud the issue with positive facts.... That's B.S... I thought Hakstol didn't make adjustments and couldn't coach a lick. :)

Nah...just trying to mix up my Squirt team comparisons a bit...think I've used Bloomington Kennedy and Shakopee before...

Kennedy's squirts would murder Williston's squirts. They might beat Williston's Pee Wees too.

I was thinking 76 soviets......but I guess I'll let you stick with 72 soviets. Look at the scores of the 76 Olympics, and you'd agree with me.

I don't remember hockey in Williston but I went to a few games in Estavan & man they used to fight back then

All the Canadian house league teams liked to beat on the American teams, first on the scoreboard, then with their sticks. Even had an American flag poster with the ghost buster sign at one game.

If I am correct, Ferris State came in #5 in the Pairwise. You don't get that by being a slouch. UND needs to do the same thing they did against Wisconsin last night. They came out and put an early goal against Rumple. I really think this goalie today is just as good as Rumple. The team also needs to get their feet moving more. This team did not play their best game last night and found a way to win. Lets see them put a good game together and maybe just maybe we end up somewhere out east.

Any idea why the Midwest Regional is the only one where the top seed played the later game?

Union got more rest than Providence in the East Regional.

Boston College and Minnesota, assuming they advance today, will have more time to rejuvenate and prepare than their opponent will have.

Yet Wisconsin and North Dakota played the later game in the Midwest Regional.

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. Was it a television thing?

Dave

Any idea why the Midwest Regional is the only one where the top seed played the later game?

Union got more rest than Providence in the East Regional.

Boston College and Minnesota, assuming they advance today, will have more time to rejuvenate and prepare than their opponent will have.

Yet Wisconsin and North Dakota played the later game in the Midwest Regional.

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. Was it a television thing?

Dave

Yep; that would be my guess. The other regionals have much more recognizable schools (at least outside of the college hockey world) in the 2x3 matchup, but there's a HUGE difference in recognition between Wisconsin and Ferris State or Colgate.

• Upvote 1

Just doing some research on Ferris State. Looks like Freshman Meyhew is a key player of late for them. He has scored a goal in the last 4 games and the last goal scored in the last 3. CJ Motte is the real deal being a Hobey Baker top 10 finalist. Looks like we will need to get grease to score on him. Lets get him moving and shoot high. 2 of the 4 goals Mankato st scored were top shelf. The other was a juicy rebound and the 4th goal was an ENG. So this guy is beatable, if UND plays its tenacious style of hockey.