SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC playoffs.....Away we go.

Wilbur

The whole season is the reason they ended up last but it would be foolish to ignore the play of each team most recently. Neither team is great but Miami seems to be on the upswing beating SCSU and Denver recently.

So, are we putting a side bet on it? I am game. :) I guess I don't see a way they emerge as the victor...By the way, I would love to pay up if I lost. I would giggle my ass off is the Huskies lost to Miami.

Edited by Goon

One reason, among many. Blake Coleman. Guy is a machine (4 goals against Denver this weekend). With him in the lineup Miami is able to split up Barber and Czarnik, and have Barber play on the second line with Anthony Louis and put Czarnik with Coleman on their top unit.

Their goaltending is suspect, but you have the former USHL goaltender of the year in McKay, and although one night UND lit him up like a two dollar hooker, he did play very well in two appearances against UND.

Miami is the dark horse team. I expect SCSU to win, but you give that talented group of forwards the extra space on an Olympic rink and it'll give SCSU all they want and more.

And I COMPLETELY agree with you about exodus. Bye bye Barber, bye bye Czarnik, bye bye Coleman.

Crazy isn't it? Yikes...

So, are we putting a side bet on it? I am game. :) I guess I don't see a way they emerge as the victor...By the way, I would love to pay up if I lost. I would giggle my ass off is the Huskies lost to Miami.

SCSU is a good matchup for Miami. They split the season series with them, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them win the series. I know their fans like the matchup better than coming here.

I guess either outcome of that series wouldn't surprise me.

I think SCSU will beat Miami in three. however, Miami has known for well over a month that they would not get home ice or for even that matter win the league and would need to win the tourney to get in. I'm sure their focus and drive hasn't been that of a team in postion to get home ice or win the league. maybe they coasted the past month to get healthy and ready to go on a run in the tourney like michigan did last season.

SCSU gets the healthy, nothing to lose Miami team. Miami already spoiled Denver getting home ice in the first round of the playoffs, and I think they'll like being the 8 seed on the road.

SCSU wins the series, but Miami should give them a push. Three games series is what I'm banking on.

SCSU gets the healthy, nothing to lose Miami team. Miami already spoiled Denver getting home ice in the first round of the playoffs, and I think they'll like being the 8 seed on the road.

SCSU wins the series, but Miami should give them a push. Three games series is what I'm banking on.

Preseason #1 in the NATION...now the #8/last seed in the conference. I'll go with latter as to who they really are. Can't think of a worse defensive team I have seen play in the new Ralph.

With that watch 'em win it in 3!!

Haha no thanks although nothing would me make me happier too :) Go Hawks. For whatever reason I like us playing CC better, just a feeling

Preseason #1 in the NATION...now the #8/last seed in the conference. I'll go with latter as to who they really are. Can't think of a worse defensive team I have seen play in the new Ralph.

With that watch 'em win it in 3!!

There was a stretch of the Friday game against UND at they Ralph where they were pretty impressive. From about the ten minute mark of the second period to the end of the game was the Miami I think everyone expected to see all year long. Creating chances, playing the body, moving the puck through neutral with a precision passing attack. If that game was ten minutes longer and Clark doesn't play one of his better games of the year UND loses that one.

I expected UND to lose Saturday with the way Miami finished Friday night, but Saturday the latter Miami that everyone has grown to know this year showed up. :lol:

Why? Last time I checked none of us are playing... :) The guys will be ready.

When I was a student I had a few classes with hockey players and I remember asking one (I'll leave anonymous) about how nervous they got before big games, etc? He responds. "We all know how crazy in love with hockey Sioux fans are, and how much rides with how we play for them......Whats there to be nervous about?"

Answered my question perfectly. :)

• Upvote 2

Miami @ SCSU-- Miami in 3

CC @ UND- UND in 3

Denver @ UNO- UNO in 2

Western @ Duluth- Duluth in 3

It's always entertaining hockey when UND and CC get together. I expect some exciting games games but Zane will be the difference.

Is CBSSN doing the tourney games in 2 weeks?

Just checked USCHO and see that we are -6 (outscored 33-27) in the 3rd this year and have been outshot in the 3rd 341-292. Not sure how that compares to prior years, but I feel like we were usually a strong 3rd period team in the past.

Edit: I figured it out on USCHO now. Here are the stats for the 3rd period in case anyone else is interested.

2012-13 EVEN

2011-12 +13 (Eades' last year)

2010-11 +30

2009-10 +18

2008-09 +12

2007-08 +14

2006-07 +7

2005-06 +17

2004-05 +14 (Hakstol's 1st year)

2003-04 +45

Our goals by period this year are 32 in the 1st (+7), 45 in the 2nd (+17), and 27 in the 3rd (-6). Goals against are 25, 28, and 33, respectively.

Just checked USCHO and see that we are -6 (outscored 33-27) in the 3rd this year and have been outshot in the 3rd 341-292. Not sure how that compares to prior years, but I feel like we were usually a strong 3rd period team in the past.

Edit: I figured it out on USCHO now. Here are the stats for the 3rd period in case anyone else is interested.

2012-13 EVEN

2010-11 +30

2009-10 +18

2008-09 +12

2007-08 +14

2006-07 +7

2005-06 +17

2003-04 +45

Our goals by period this year are 32 in the 1st (+7), 45 in the 2nd (+17), and 27 in the 3rd (-6). Goals against are 25, 28, and 33, respectively.

Interesting stats there. Have not had a ton of comebacks in the third period this year. Although we have seen some of the sit on the lead approach.

2012-13 EVEN

2010-11 +30

2009-10 +18

2008-09 +12

2007-08 +14

2006-07 +7

2005-06 +17

2003-04 +45

A few weeks back the announcer noted und was -3 in the third.... looks as though they've gotten worse.

Seems to me the second period historically has been the worse. Not that it was so much a minus as they have never scored a lot of goals in second.

Which seems to be way different this year. I haven't looked up specific stats, but most of the blow outs have come because of strong second periods. That probably plays a factor in why the third isn't as strong.