SiouxSports.com Forum

What's it going to take to hang #8?

yababy8

ahhh....you might want to rethink that one.

Haha. I think I understand where the poster was trying to go with that one however this team is probably less talented than many of the other teams we have had however they do surprise me every so often and only time will tell.

Why? I'm not saying are on the level of the 10-11 team but they are still very good. I also said that I think they are a year away. Do you not agree that next years team has the potential to be something special?

That is a possibility however only a possibility at that. You only went back a few years whereas your initial comment noted that this years team has more skill than many of the past teams (which I would think would go well past the '10-'11 team). Also, I would have to say we have had more talented teams than the '10-'11 teams (easily actually). That was simply the last time we made it to the frozen four; the only tidbit there was we had the best team in the final tourney and couldn't get it done.

me·di·o·cre

[mee-dee-oh-ker]

adjective 1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: The car gets only mediocre mileage, but it's fun to drive. Synonyms: undistinguished, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday; run-of-the-mill.

All time UND hockey record is 1393-920-132 for a winning percentage of about .600. That is from 1946 through the present, so it includes Hakstol's years. UND record before Hakstol is 1152-800-96 for a winning percentage just under .590. Hakstol's record is 251-128-40 for a winning percentage of more than .640. A mediocre record would be around .500. The UND overall winning percentage is above average. Hakstol's winning percentage is above the UND overall winning percentage. Haters might want to come up with a better word than mediocrity for the Hakstol coaching era. Either that or you're saying that all UND hockey before Hakstol was worse than mediocre.

In my mind this is a much more pertinent comparison:

Gino Gasparini - 392-248-25 - 16 years 3 National Championships

Dean Blais - 262-115-34 - 10 years 2 National Championships

Hak took over a team that went 30-8-3 the previous year

• Upvote 3

who remembers what a team record is/

I don't think und hangs banners for records...

they hang banners for nattys

you don't come back for a ten year renuiong if you go 39-1

you come back for a natty reunion

whats the title per year?

I would guess that a lot of teams have reunions, not just national title winners.

That is a possibility however only a possibility at that. You only went back a few years whereas your initial comment noted that this years team has more skill than many of the past teams (which I would think would go well past the '10-'11 team). Also, I would have to say we have had more talented teams than the '10-'11 teams (easily actually). That was simply the last time we made it to the frozen four; the only tidbit there was we had the best team in the final tourney and couldn't get it done.

I'm just saying next years team, in my opinion, will have the talent to win it all.

Caggiula-MacMillian-Parks

Schmatlz-Rocco-Johnson

Pattyn-Gaarder-O'Donnell

Simonson?-Chyzyk-St.Clair

Schmaltz-Stecher

Thompson-Ladue

Mattson-Ausmus

Gothberg

Looks pretty good to me for next year. There is a ton of offensive talent at both forward and defense and a goalie that I expect to be one of the best in the country. Obviously, things will change and who knows who comes in and makes a difference next year but early indications are that we should be real good.

You can't compare Hak to Gino. You can't compare Gino to Blais. You can't compare Cary Eades to Herb Brooks. None of it works. It's a totally different league.

• Upvote 1

Picking possibly the 2 best coaches in UND history as a comparison doesn't make Hakstol mediocre as a coach. It shows an unrealistic expectation for a current coach. Fun fact, thanks to his last few years with a losing record, Gino's winning percentage is worse than Hakstol's.

Picking possibly the 2 best coaches in UND history as a comparison doesn't make Hakstol mediocre as a coach. It shows an unrealistic expectation for a current coach. Fun fact, thanks to his last few years with a losing record, Gino's winning percentage is worse than Hakstol's.

I didn't cherry pick the coaches - this represents UND's record from 1978 to Hak. Not unrealistic at all - just the records of his two immediate predecessors. By the way - Gino = 3 - count em 3 Nattys

I didn't cherry pick the coaches - this represents UND's record from 1978 to Hak. Not unrealistic at all - just the records of his two immediate predecessors.

Yes unrealistic. As Big A said, you can't compare the different eras. NCAA hockey has changed. More teams playing at a more similar level. Different type of play. As Schlossman pointed out in his column today, scoring is down significantly from when Gino and Blais coached, which means less room for error. But I realize that you don't accept any of this as the truth, you live in a world where UND is entitled to win national titles on a regular basis.
  • Upvote 2

Jerry York should have been fired decades ago, and numerous times in between, by some people's standards.

I am sick and tired of this example being used; it's pure apples and oranges. Jerry York took over a putrid Boston College program and had to rebuild it while competing with the likes of Maine and BU for talent. Of course it took him a long time to get to the level he is right now. They are the team of the 2000's. Dave Hakstol took over a program with basically a full cupboard and has underachieved with it. Just like Doug Woog did with the Goofs back in the 1980's thru the mid 1990's.

Face the facts. This isn't old-school NCAA hockey anymore where there were maybe 3-4 legitimate title contenders in a given year.

Face the facts.....Hakstol hasn't gotten the job done. With all this "parity", how has Boston College won four titles since 2001 (about one every three years)? And shouldn't all that "parity" give us just as much chance to win a natty as anyone else? But Haktsol's teams have underachieved in the NCAA tournament (especially at the Frozen Four) and it is just getting old.

With FU winning 3 consecutive FCS football titles, we need to do something to change the narrative around here. Winning #8 would do just that and it would have a positive impact on the campus as a whole. That is another angle that is not talked about enough.