SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

24 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Russo was the only non-commit that I'd heard about.  Big target for the staff I believe.  Only other potential name I heard for this weekend that's not included above is Geier.

2 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Word around the Twin Cities is that the Gophers don't even look at in-state players for the DBs and skill positions. They generally go south for those recruits, with a few exceptions of course, and look mostly at O and D linemen in the state. That may not be the new coaching regime's stance, but we really won't know until a year or two from now.

I really think they get it wherever they can and really does depend on the year as they seem to have very specific requirements they look for at certain positions. The last few years the DBs they have gotten from the Midwest have been from Illinois and Michigan and You are right the only in-state DBs they have were preferred walk-ons outta high school although 1 of them has been put on scholarship now. This year is a great in-state class and they have 3 WRs from Minnesota committed in Howard(Robbinsdale), Johnson(Minneapolis), and Hmielewski(Marshall). The Gophers have 18 commits right now 8 MN, 2 TX(both played some HS in MN), and 1 each from AR, FL, GA, IA, IL, KS, LA, and MS. In recent years only Johannesson and Jones come to my mind at the RB spots as MN and ND kids. I can see Holm getting a PWO offer but I don't think the Gophers will offer him just seeing who they have visited this week as backup DB options and think he will end up at UND.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I really think they get it wherever they can and really does depend on the year as they seem to have very specific requirements they look for at certain positions. The last few years the DBs they have gotten from the Midwest have been from Illinois and Michigan and You are right the only in-state DBs they have were preferred walk-ons outta high school although 1 of them has been put on scholarship now. This year is a great in-state class and they have 3 WRs from Minnesota committed in Howard(Robbinsdale), Johnson(Minneapolis), and Hmielewski(Marshall). The Gophers have 18 commits right now 8 MN, 2 TX(both played some HS in MN), and 1 each from AR, FL, GA, IA, IL, KS, LA, and MS. In recent years only Johannesson and Jones come to my mind at the RB spots as MN and ND kids. I can see Holm getting a PWO offer but I don't think the Gophers will offer him just seeing who they have visited this week as backup DB options and think he will end up at UND.

Yeah - this is a pretty unusual year for them to take three WR's from the state. There's also Seth Green, of course, and Kamal Martin from Burnsville. We'll see where those guys end up position-wise, but that's 5 in-state skill guys in one year. But I digress. Back to UND...

21 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Word around the Twin Cities is that the Gophers don't even look at in-state players for the DBs and skill positions. They generally go south for those recruits, with a few exceptions of course, and look mostly at O and D linemen in the state. That may not be the new coaching regime's stance, but we really won't know until a year or two from now.

The Gophers have recruited out of state illiterate, or low literacy, athletes since I have been married (mostly football and basketball). I know very few quality high school athletes who aspire to go there. When one does, it is like BIG news.  I really feel bad for what has become of mostly football and hockey.  The Golden Gophers were quality athletes you could teach your sons to look up to.  Now they can not talk a complete sentence when interviewed on TV. Several years ago I thought,  "My education dollars are paying for scholarships for these young men?"  When we came to recruiting weekend at UND we were told on Tues. and Thurs. football practice was in the library until mid-terms came out. If you were 3.0 or above, you went to the outdoor field to practice.

Again, all of my children could have gone to UND and I would have been a happy mama.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

The Gophers have recruited out of state illiterate, or low literacy, athletes since I have been married (mostly football and basketball). I know very few quality high school athletes who aspire to go there. When one does, it is like BIG news.  I really feel bad for what has become of mostly football and hockey.  The Golden Gophers were quality athletes you could teach your sons to look up to.  Now they can not talk a complete sentence when interviewed on TV. Several years ago I thought,  "My education dollars are paying for scholarships for these young men?"  When we came to recruiting weekend at UND we were told on Tues. and Thurs. football practice was in the library until mid-terms came out. If you were 3.0 or above, you went to the outdoor field to practice.

Again, all of my children could have gone to UND and I would have been a happy mama.

I know a friend who is pretty high up in UM athletic dept. he said Brewster was getting football players in with ACT scores of 10 and 11.  Most all of his highly rated recruits were out of school within a year or two. 

On 1/15/2016 at 2:24 PM, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I'm glad to see Cloyd on the list. I know there were some FCS schools that offered him, and I believe he had given a soft verbal, as he was still looking at some FBS schools. Definitely a guy that I would like to see us keep.

So does anyone have any insight on how many of these  OL will be redshirting? I assume that with some of the departures we have seen that we might have to pull a redshirt or two.

Aside from OL, who else could we see get a RS pulled (I know it is early and we need to see how these guys do in camp)

Toivenen? Holm? Helgren? Hunt?

Whoever plays, and Whoever redshirts, I hope ALL of these guys plan to be in Grand Forks for the whole summer. I think that is huge for kids to start acclimating to the college environment, to really gel with their teammates, and to get their workouts in.

16 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm glad to see Cloyd on the list. I know there were some FCS schools that offered him, and I believe he had given a soft verbal, as he was still looking at some FBS schools. Definitely a guy that I would like to see us keep.

Cloyd is still committed to the program but I'm fairly certain that he wasn't on campus this weekend with the rest of the recruits.  Cloyd appears to have been at a wrestling tournament this weekend and winning the Metro Championship for his weight class.  I do know for sure that Jake Geier was on campus this weekend who wasn't noted by SFI. 

Obviously, our run game was great this past year with Santiago and Oliveira.  Add Norberg (maybe a move back to LB?), Nevermann and Gordon to the mix and we should be really deep at RB.

So with the run game in tact, how do we see our passing game developing. Obviously Keaton is the guy for us, barring any injuries; and I think he proved just how deserving he is of that job in the last few games of the season. He was really solid coming back from injury. We lose Cerriteno, but keep Clive who really showed his worth late in the season. If he can get a little stronger and stay healthy, he could be a huge factor in the pass game. Seibel has been pretty steady for us, and while I don't think you are ever going to see really big numbers from him, he'll still be a steady player on the field. Stanley and Dulin are guys I am the most interested in. Stanley did well and is certainly a big kid. Dulin has been pretty hyped up on these message boards, hopefully we can see strong production there. I'm also really interested to see if Toivenen gets in the mix this year or redshirts. I hope to see Fiedler get more in the mix, and I'll be interested to see if they pull Cloyd's redshirt.

Regardless, I definitely think we will have an improved passing game this year.

RECEIVING  GP-GS  No.  Yards  Avg   TD  Long  Avg/G 
Luke Stanley   11-8   26  312  12.0  59  28.4 
Josh Seibel   11-10  26  278  10.7  28  25.3 
Zach Adler   11-11  18  179  9.9  36  16.3 
Miguel Cerriteno  10-4   13  213  16.4  47  21.3 
Clive Georges   6-1   10  250  25.0  64  41.7 
Brandon Walker   7-1   10  92  9.2  18  13.1 
Luke Mathewson   11-7   90  12.9  30  8.2 
John Santiago   11-11  81  16.2  33  7.4 
Brady Oliveira   8-0   45  9.0  26  5.6 
Luke Fiedler   11-0   9.0  0.8 
Jacob Francis   11-1   1.0  0.1 
Stetson Carr   3-0   0.0  0.0 

6 minutes ago, jjensen said:

Cloyd is still committed to the program but I'm fairly certain that he wasn't on campus this weekend with the rest of the recruits.  Cloyd appears to have been at a wrestling tournament this weekend and winning the Metro Championship for his weight class.  I do know for sure that Jake Geier was on campus this weekend who wasn't noted by SFI. 

Good to know, and while I know he is still committed, I'll feel better on signing day. Bubba and his staff have done a nice job again and hopefully we don't lose anyone late.

25 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So does anyone have any insight on how many of these  OL will be redshirting? I assume that with some of the departures we have seen that we might have to pull a redshirt or two.

Aside from OL, who else could we see get a RS pulled (I know it is early and we need to see how these guys do in camp)

Toivenen? Holm? Helgren? Hunt?

Whoever plays, and Whoever redshirts, I hope ALL of these guys plan to be in Grand Forks for the whole summer. I think that is huge for kids to start acclimating to the college environment, to really gel with their teammates, and to get their workouts in.

I have no insight but I'm guessing all OL are brought in with the expectations of being red shirted. Fall evaluations and injuries may change that. There's a huge difference physically as well as assignment wise between high school and college at this position. 

1 minute ago, bang said:

I have no insight but I'm guessing all OL are brought in with the expectations of being red shirted. Fall evaluations and injuries may change that. There's a huge difference physically as well as assignment wise between high school and college at this position. 

Definitely agree with that. Grady was definitely exceptional from a size and physicality standpoint. I wasn't sure how we are there in terms of depth though.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Definitely agree with that. Grady was definitely exceptional from a size and physicality standpoint. I wasn't sure how we are there in terms of depth though.

Ya, maybe they're going into camp next year with the plan of pulling one shirt. Waiting to see which one steps up. I can see the staff doing something like that. 

19 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Major bummer. i was really excited about that kid too. Any idea where he is going to play? I wonder if he just wanted to go somewhere closer to home.

Yeah not sure. I did notice former UND commit Jake Hartford now SDSU commit liked it but that might mean nothing. 

1 hour ago, bang said:

Other then the qb,  O lineman are the most likely to redshirt.  Like you mentioned, the physicality aspect is like non other position. Only the likes of Grady and turner from ag school can come in and start as a true fresh. Well not only did they start but they made a difference is a very positive way.  That happens once in a lifetime.  

If I was to guess, they all will redshirt.  Und will be very thin and inexperienced on the line next year but have some good looking guys.