SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

I agree that Bubba's staff with get more blood out the proverbial turnip than Muss's staff did by a long shot. gradually improving over time. we lost some good players, Hardin/Jackson/golliday has to be a net loss. QB;s struggled last year with questionable OL play, but had the best receivers in fcs. we will have a few step up and fill shoes hypothetically. just saying we will focus on the "run game" wont make us a good running team. defense should be better! WHAT IS the +/- on personnel for this year.

und did not have the best receivers in the fcs last year, eastern Washington did, and it wasn't even close.

und did not have the best receivers in the fcs last year, eastern Washington did, and it wasn't even close.

EWU had a line that was able to block and one of the best QB's in the FCS. Don't mistake production and talent. Talent-wise, they were very comparable.

• Upvote 3

E-mail just came out with some details for the Spring Game:

Fan & family events surround the annual UND Football Spring Game this Saturday. The game will take on a different format this year as a live situational scrimmage, with play beginning at 1pm.

The annual kid’s clinic returns pre-game on Saturday, as kids will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of athletic drills with their favorite UND student-athletes. This event is open to all kids in 8th grade and younger and begins at 11:30am, with registration at 11am at the main entrance of the Alerus Center. Comfortable clothing appropriate for athletic activities is recommended but no cleats. Parents will be required to fill out a release form and waiver of liability in person.

Parking and tailgating is free on Saturday and lots will open at 8am. While there is no tailgate competition or local restaurant food sampling this year, fans are encouraged to come out, enjoy the spring weather and tailgate. In addition, fans with season-long tailgate spaces will have the opportunity to renew their spaces for 2014.

Saturday will also mark the first day parents can sign up their children for the 2014-15 membership year of Jr. Champions, the official UND Athletics kids’ club. Membership (which previously cost $25/year) will be completely free in 2014-15, with thanks to the generous support of presenting sponsors, U.S. Bank and Midco Sports Network.

Following the Spring Game, which should conclude no later than 2:30pm on Saturday, fans will be encouraged to come down to the field, meet the team and the new coaching staff and get autographs from the team.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Definitely scaled back this year but should still be a good time regardless.

Unfortunately EWU was able to win games with their receivers. Now we don't even have that receiver corps any more.

With a running game (what Bubba is trying to implement) a receiving corps is just a bonus, of course the only thing we need now...is a running game.

In regard to some of the guys lifting in their free time at the wellness center, I think some of you are overlooking the fact that their main motivation for that might be babe watching. When I was there yoga pants werent a thing...the awesome level now has to be off the charts!

• Upvote 3

In regard to some of the guys lifting in their free time at the wellness center, I think some of you are overlooking the fact that their main motivation for that might be babe watching. When I was there yoga pants werent a thing...the awesome level now has to be off the charts!

Only reason I ever go in Fargo. Women. Everywhere.

how

my main question was to whom had knowledge of the personnel +/- from last year to this one as to how much lbetter/worse we will be than last year. I didn't intend a discussion on who actually ended up having the best receivers in fcs last year. jmho

It all comes down to in the trenches. We need to get better on the O-line and D-line. Both will lead success to the other positions. A dominant O-line will help your running game and give the QB more time in the pocket to find open recievers. A dominant D-line will slow down the running game making the other team one dimensional and allow for mre pressure on the QB. When you get your lines clicking on all cylinders, it makes the rest of your team better. That is where the focus should be and I believe Bubba and his coaches are adressing it.

• Upvote 1

It all comes down to in the trenches. We need to get better on the O-line and D-line. Both will lead success to the other positions. A dominant O-line will help your running game and give the QB more time in the pocket to find open recievers. A dominant D-line will slow down the running game making the other team one dimensional and allow for mre pressure on the QB. When you get your lines clicking on all cylinders, it makes the rest of your team better. That is where the focus should be and I believe Bubba and his coaches are adressing it.

Yup that's how we beat Northern Iowa on their home turf - line domination - it's where we need to get back to - big ole boys from the midwest.

More depth? this isn't basketball, you only need three. The best receivers in the fcs do not give up on plays.

Eastern Washington was better coached, had a better defense, and had/has an exceptional quarterback. All those things lead to the WR corps looking real good. Not to mention they were winning and their morale was high. The WR corps last year for UND was outstanding. With that said, not much else was even average, which lead to the losses and poor morale of Hardin, Golladay, and Jackson.

Eastern Washington does not have a WR that could transfer to an FBS program; Golladay did that. That's impressive in itself. Wish Golladay was still on the roster, but RJ McGill and Casey Young will likely fill in nicely for this upcoming season.

how

my main question was to whom had knowledge of the personnel +/- from last year to this one as to how much lbetter/worse we will be than last year. I didn't intend a discussion on who actually ended up having the best receivers in fcs last year. jmho

We'll slowly but surely improve each season under Bubba (at least that's the plan!). He will focus on making this team more hard-nose and physical. That starts with big, strong bodies upfront on the o-line and d-line, but it also is a mindset thing.

With a harder hitting, more aggressive defense, along with a physical-mindset and running game on offense, this team will improve. The top bar for next season is at 0.500, which would be a +3 in wins. Anywhere from 4 to 6 wins will likely happen which is an improvement from last season.

EWU had a line that was able to block and one of the best QB's in the FCS. Don't mistake production and talent. Talent-wise, they were very comparable.

What other measure could someone possibly use to say one WR corp is better than another?

Saying UND had the best receivers in the nation seems like one of those things that someone said once and every UND fan jumped on board. If they were the best WR corp in the nation, then they were simultaneously the most under-achieving receiving corp in the nation.

Making the argument that they didn't have a QB that could get them the ball is not valid if you ask me, because there is no way to know how they would have performed, we only know how they actually performed and it certainly wasn't as the best in the nation.

What other measure could someone possibly use to say one WR corp is better than another?

Saying UND had the best receivers in the nation seems like one of those things that someone said once and every UND fan jumped on board. If they were the best WR corp in the nation, then they were simultaneously the most under-achieving receiving corp in the nation.

Making the argument that they didn't have a QB that could get them the ball is not valid if you ask me, because there is no way to know how they would have performed, we only know how they actually performed and it certainly wasn't as the best in the nation.

Who's more talented, Julian Edelman or Larry Fitzgerald? Obviously Julian Edelman. After all, stats don't lie.

Place the entire receiving corps of the Denver Broncos (obviously the best in the league because stats don't lie) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They're the exact same receiving corps, but for some reason I just can't imagine a scenario where they would match their 2013 numbers without Brady, Brees, Manning, or Rodgers joining them in Tampa.

The NFL sure screws up how they draft WR's then. Just get the guy that had the most catches or most yards coming out of college.

WR's can't throw the ball to themselves. You can't be serious that you think that there wouldn't be a difference in production when you go from playing with 2 senior QB's vs. 2 redshirt freshman QB's. And if you look at per game averages for Golladay/Hardin/Jackson, yards and catches per game are in line with the top 3 from EWU.

Who's more talented, Julian Edelman or Larry Fitzgerald? Obviously Julian Edelman. After all, stats don't lie.

Place the entire receiving corps of the Denver Broncos (obviously the best in the league because stats don't lie) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They're the exact same receiving corps, but for some reason I just can't imagine a scenario where they would match their 2013 numbers without Brady, Brees, Manning, or Rodgers joining them in Tampa.

So let's go with 40 times and vertical jumps then.

Production is all that matters, the rest is just wasted potential.

What argument can be made that they were the best?

So let's go with 40 times and vertical jumps then.

Production is all that matters, the rest is just wasted potential.

What argument can be made that they were the best?

It is purely opinion. Yours is worth less than others on this board. I agree that the great potential that came with the greatest FCS receiving corps in the nation was squandered by an incapable team/coaching staff last season. :ohmy:

It is purely opinion. Yours is worth less than others on this board. I agree that the great potential that came with the greatest FCS receiving corps in the nation was squandered by an incapable team/coaching staff last season. :ohmy:

It was just hype IMO. There was never any actual reasons to believe that they would perform like the best in the nation, regardless of who was throwing the ball.

Eastern Washington was better coached, had a better defense, and had/has an exceptional quarterback. All those things lead to the WR corps looking real good. Not to mention they were winning and their morale was high. The WR corps last year for UND was outstanding. With that said, not much else was even average, which lead to the losses and poor morale of Hardin, Golladay, and Jackson.

Eastern Washington does not have a WR that could transfer to an FBS program; Golladay did that. That's impressive in itself. Wish Golladay was still on the roster, but RJ McGill and Casey Young will likely fill in nicely for this upcoming season.

yes they do kupp was first team all American as a true freshman, he could move up, and to a better team than northern Illinois.

It was just hype IMO. There was never any actual reasons to believe that they would perform like the best in the nation, regardless of who was throwing the ball.

All hype? Serious? In 2012 they managed to round up a few accolades.

Jameer Jackson

-Named to the 2012 College Sports Journal Freshman All-America Team

-Finalist for the 2012 Jerry Rice Award for FCS Freshman of the Year

Greg Hardin

-Named to the Sports Network All-America Third Team

-Named All-Big Sky First Team

-Named the College Football Performance Awards FCS Elite Wide Receiver of the Year

-Named to multiple preseason teams

Golladay played as a true freshman with a severe high ankle sprain the majority of the year and proved this year he had more talent that both of those guys. The talent UND's WR's had wasn't some made up hype promoted by UND fans. The talent was there, unfortunately it was not at other positions.

• Upvote 1