SiouxSports.com Forum

Philip Nelson leaving Minnesota football program

UND-FB-FAN

Und hockey vs ndsu football....which has more worth?

all you need to do is look at alums of both teams and add current NHL salaries of former und players vs current nfl salaries of former ndsu players.

I don't have the time to check former Sioux in the NHL and their salaries but this is easy....ndsu has 4 former players that played in the nfl this season....with a cumulative salary less than $4 mil combined. Chris kuper alone has former ndsu'ers beat by himself.

If und and the sport of hockey are so irrelevant, how can und's former hockey players make so much more money?

And now we're somehow debating the popularity of a sport..... as if that has anything to do with wtf we were talking about. If some of you had actually read the entire thread, you might have a clue as to why I called FCS football "JV"....aka in response to the nauseating ndsu posters' remarks. There is nothing wrong with playing in the second highest level talent-wise for the sport of football. And if you don't agree with FCS being second tier, I guess you can join the goat ropers to the south in their belief that they could take down the Alabamas and Auburns and Florida States. i'm a huge Sioux football fan and attend all games I can make it to. But there is no disputing the hockey program competes at the highest possible level. That's just a fact. We have ndsu and u of m fans on here taking over this thread having a rod measuring contest about which of those two have a better football team, and i'm the one catching flak for just mentioning the term "JV".......priceless..

The term "JV" is intentionally derogatory in the present context; therefore, it simply shouldn't be used. I don't support it's use when explaining FCS football. Perhaps if collegiate hockey was actually popular on a national level, then there would be a "JV" level for collegiate hockey as well.

• Upvote 1

Why would anyone here talk down FCS football as "JV"? And gopher football fans, seriously? You have no leg to stand on here. Where does hockey fall in the big scheme of things in the U.S.A.? From a fan interest standpoint it's behind football, baseball, basketball, golf and NASCAR on the national scene, and I don't think there's really an argument otherwise. You might have an argument worldwide, but we all know where that gets us for the sport of soccer, correct? Our UND hockey program is second to none, but lets be honest here. We play at the same level as the cow college for every sport, my friends. If we were winning FCS Football titles, I think attitudes would be different here. Once we chase down the 4-H exhibit at FU, we will once again dominate them in all sports, which is the way we are all used to. It will happen too, mark it down.

http://www.cbssports...-as-many-as-nba

Your blanket statement doesn't cut it here. I don't think anyone here is trying to say hockey is the most popular sport but it certainly isn't on the lower end either.

The term "JV" is intentionally derogatory in the present context; therefore, it simply shouldn't be used. I don't support it's use when explaining FCS football. Perhaps if collegiate hockey was actually popular on a national level, then there would be a "JV" level for collegiate hockey as well.

There is a jv hockey. It is called DIII.

In un-related news to hockey, the latest Philip Nelson rumor is that Texas Tech is interested in him. I guess Tech has a young QB transferring out.

No, Nelson will not be attending UND, NDSU or playing college or any level of hockey.

I thought he was solid at being the point man on the pp?

You have it exactly right. UND (along with many other "DI" hockey schools) are able to compete at the "highest level" in hockey only because the big NCAA schools have chosen not to.

You have it exactly right. UND (along with many other "DI" hockey schools) are able to compete at the "highest level" in hockey only because the big NCAA schools have chosen not to.

Nice trolling effort, but you're clueless. You may not realize this, but size of school has nothing to do with the quality of the athletic program. Just ask Duke how their basketball program does against the "big NCAA schools". It's almost the exact same size as UND. Then compare to Ohio State, one of the truly "big NCAA schools" no matter how you define it, and their "storied hockey history". UND helped build DI hockey along with schools like Minnesota and Michigan so they would probably be a hockey power no matter what other schools were involved.
  • Upvote 1

Nice trolling effort, but you're clueless. You may not realize this, but size of school has nothing to do with the quality of the athletic program. Just ask Duke how their basketball program does against the "big NCAA schools". It's almost the exact same size as UND. Then compare to Ohio State, one of the truly "big NCAA schools" no matter how you define it, and their "storied hockey history". UND helped build DI hockey along with schools like Minnesota and Michigan so they would probably be a hockey power no matter what other schools were involved.

You're kidding aren't you? You cannot possibly believe that.

That's incorrect. I said there would be a "JV" division in hockey if it were nationally popular; I didn't say that UND would be in that division.

Given UND's hockey facilities, alumni, and tradition, they have and will always be a top 5 hockey program nationally. Look at Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - all are big Big 10 schools yet they are all lesser or equal to UND's hockey program. Size and/or popularity can not negatively affect UND's hockey program, so get use to it.

Buck the Fison.