SiouxSports.com Forum

Philip Nelson leaving Minnesota football program

UND-FB-FAN

Haha this must be some sort of joke I think I'll trust recruiting services, Jerry Kill, and many other people who believe the same as me rather than your opinion. Leidner, Nelson, or even Streeveler who they redshirted this year would have played over any NDSU or UND QB. Let me guess NDSU would have beat Minnesota this year too? Jensen was a product of a good team around him but often times that team had to overcome his mistakes.

Have some examples of the team having to overcome Brock's mistakes this year? I am pretty sure I watched him lead the team on a game winning drive at a Big 12 stadium against a decent K-State team. Can't remember Nelson leading the Gophers on a game winning drive against any decent team on the road.

• Upvote 1

Have some examples of the team having to overcome Brock's mistakes this year? I am pretty sure I watched him lead the team on a game winning drive at a Big 12 stadium against a decent K-State team. Can't remember Nelson leading the Gophers on a game winning drive against any decent team on the road.

Then you obviously didn't watch much Gopher football this year. I don't follow Moo U, so I couldn't tell you if Brock made mistakes or not, but the K-State team they beat was average at best and got better as the season went on.

I had high hopes for Nelson but he really never met them and was wildly inconsistent aside from the 4 game conference winning streak although much of it was due to the running game offensively. Leidner performed much better than Nelson throwing the ball and most fans felt he would be the leader to start going into the Spring especially after his strong relief appearance in the bowl game. I would expect Leidner to become a more consistent thrower this season as well but the Gophers will still strongly rely on the run especially if they are able to keep Jeff Jones committed and I would expect at least 6-7 wins next season and a chance to do more damage than that if Leidner can be consistent, the other key for them will be replacing a likely top 2 round pick in Hageman at DT.

High hopes? If my memory serves me correctly, Nelson as a true freshman that played half of last year and before the hamstring injury was playing pretty well. Do people seriously think a kid can come straight out of high school and dominate? Most kids get the opportunity to redshirt, learn the offense and build chemistry with the offense, Nelson got thrown in the fire as a freshmen and led them to a Bowl game.

Then you obviously didn't watch much Gopher football this year. I don't follow Moo U, so I couldn't tell you if Brock made mistakes or not, but the K-State team they beat was average at best and got better as the season went on.

Average or not. They were better than any team the Gophers beat. Home or away.

WOW, you don't watch much football do you? Nebraska and Northwestern were both ranked when the Gophers beat them. I know in your fantasy land that since Moo U beat K-State that somehow they would have also beaten FSU and Bama, so I will just be done with this conversation.

WOW, you don't watch much football do you? Nebraska and Northwestern were both ranked when the Gophers beat them. I know in your fantasy land that since Moo U beat K-State that somehow they would have also beaten FSU and Bama, so I will just be done with this conversation.

I never said NDSU would beat Bama or FSU or even be competitive against teams of that caliber. All I've talked about is K-State...you know the team that NDSU actually did beat.

Northwestern....please. That team was beat up when the Gophers beat them and was in middle of a tailspin that they didn't recover from. K-State would demolish that team. There is a reason why that team finished 5-7 and nowhere near even receiving votes. Seriously you bash my football knowledge and bring up Northwestern. I could have bought Penn State but Northwestern...wow.

Nebraska though was at least respectable. Not better than K-State but respectable. I still remember SDSU running for a billion yards vs Nebraska and then the next week getting negative yards against NDSU.

Don't feel like quoting and multiple posts.

Have NO interest in Nelson at all. Could he compete for the job at UND? Sure, but I wouldn't say he would win the job outright over what we have.

Could he win the starting job at NDSU? Not likely, I think a lot of NDSU people who are plugged into the program are very excited by having Carson Wentz the next 2 years. By almost all accounts he is a more talented QB than Jensen was....the question is the intangfibles as very few kids are born winners and leaders like Jensen was.

Nelson is not going to an fcs school.

High hopes? If my memory serves me correctly, Nelson as a true freshman that played half of last year and before the hamstring injury was playing pretty well. Do people seriously think a kid can come straight out of high school and dominate? Most kids get the opportunity to redshirt, learn the offense and build chemistry with the offense, Nelson got thrown in the fire as a freshmen and led them to a Bowl game.

I know he played pretty decent as a Freshman last year and was playing well as a Soph. this year especially during the 4 game win streak but then he really struggled down the stretch against the better teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State. Part of that was also his receivers dropping a number of balls and losing his top target to an ACL but he also was less accurate down the stretch and in the bowl game and I still kinda wonder if he wasn't dealing with some type of arm injury.

I don't know about specific examples because I don't care about NDSU that much but I know he has thrown more than his fair share of pick 6's sometimes early in games to put the team behind right away and I really think he is an average QB and good leader with a real good supporting cast around him.

As for asking who the Gophers beat in other posts NDSU beat an average K-State team with a lot of different players from the previous season in the 1st game of the year. The Gophers Nebraska, @ Northwestern, and Penn State wins were all better than that and the Gophers were a few mistakes in the redzone away from pulling an upset at Michigan State.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about specific examples because I don't care about NDSU that much but I know he has thrown more than his fair share of pick 6's sometimes early in games to put the team behind right away and I really think he is an average QB and good leader with a real good supporting cast around him.

As for asking who the Gophers beat in other posts NDSU beat an average K-State team with a lot of different players from the previous season in the 1st game of the year. The Gophers Nebraska, @ Northwestern, and Penn State wins were all better than that and the Gophers were a few mistakes in the redzone away from pulling an upset at Michigan State.

They were also very close to beating Wisconsin.

Yeah, K-State kind of owned Michigan. How'd Minneota do against Michigan?

You just described Gopher football. Close against Wisconsin too. Gopher football, grasping defeat from the jaws of victory.

You don't have examples yet you make the same idiotic clam throughout the thread.Not sure what to say really, I mean Brock had 44 TDs this year and just 7 ints. That to me is a bit beyond average and doesn't really sound like a guy that is making all of these mistake that the team must constantly overcome. He made some bad mistakes as a junior but this year he was pretty sharp.

Again the Gophers beat a Northwestern team without their starting QB and RB. It was a win vs a terribly banged up team....that ended up 5-7. Yeah that really sounds like something better than beating an 8-5 Big 12 team on the road.

Really I have no idea if the only football some of you watch is UND and Minnesota. If so it might explain some of the things that I am reading. It is truly beyond bizarre.

• Upvote 1

Brock has not been over-rated by Bison fans. Most of us know that his odds of playing in the NFL are extremely slim. He was a great quarterback for the Bison. Yes, the defense and other aspects of the team were great. It doesn't take away Jensen's accomplishments in any way.

You don't have examples yet you make the same idiotic clam throughout the thread.Not sure what to say really, I mean Brock had 44 TDs this year and just 7 ints. That to me is a bit beyond average and doesn't really sound like a guy that is making all of these mistake that the team must constantly overcome. He made some bad mistakes as a junior but this year he was pretty sharp.

Again the Gophers beat a Northwestern team without their starting QB and RB. It was a win vs a terribly banged up team....that ended up 5-7. Yeah that really sounds like something better than beating an 8-5 Big 12 team on the road.

Really I have no idea if the only football some of you watch is UND and Minnesota. If so it might explain some of the things that I am reading. It is truly beyond bizarre.

I don't have specific examples because I don't care that much about NDSU football. Believe he may have thrown a early pick 6 against Coastal Carolina in the playoffs.

Northwestern was missing a QB but he split time with another QB and that guy played against the Gophers. They were missing their starting RB though.