SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Pairwise rankings

jimdahl

............it's simple...they have no shooters....no snipers...do they practice shooting the puck accurately on net??...doesn't look like it...Just one Mark Taylor or Ryan Duncan would do wonders...they've got nobody..

I agree. It's a team chalk full of roll players and grinders. Hell we don't even have a go to guy let alone a go to line.

UMass-Lowell controls our fate.

<facepalm>

No, wait, it's worse: UND has to beat WMU in a game that is everything to us, nothing to them. I recall that scenario recently ...

<facepalm>

As a Bronco fan, obviously I would like to see them pick up one more win.

But as NCHC fan, I would like to see the Sioux move on to the net round

• Upvote 2

Random observations from channel surfing five channels yesterday*:

1. ECAC teams should *never* play on Olympic ice. Never. Talk about no puck possession, perimeter games. Womens games on NHL ice have better possession time.

2. (And this applies to UND very much so): The quality of skating in college hockey has taken a noticeable drop in the last decade. The Corn/Q game had nothing but a bunch of human Zambonis out there. The Ohio State guys were tripping over open ice. Heck, Brandon Bochenski would have looked like Tara Lipinski out there in just about every game. (RIP Nancy Berggraf :( )

3. Now that realignment has happened, put the events back on campus for a while, until new rivalries have been established. The empty seats are disheartening. Good grief, even The X was empty last night, with Goldie playing no less!

*Yes, if you have the Midco sports package you had FCS (ECAC), FSN (WCHA), BTN (Big Ten), NBCSN (HEA), and CBSSN (NCHC). Thanks to the buddy that clued me in on that little factoid.

My runs seem to agree with what others have found in the thread. UND is in with:

UND win, UML win

and either (UW win) or (Canisius win, Miami win, Ferris St win)

Now that we're down to the end, time for a reminder that you should have a little less faith than usual in these predictions this year.

The selection process changed this year, and while the big guys all agree on a new PWR implementation, there's a noticeably larger than usual chance that something comes out of the committee other than what we expect.

Only useful '2014 Pairwise Rankings' post on here, thanks Jim. Everything else is people melting down and calling for everyone from the coach to the skate sharpener to be fired.

I ran the USCHO pairwise predictor and can see no way North Dakota can get in the NCAA...Even if they beat W Mich today that certainly can't move them up any in the pairwise,can it??...W Mich is lower in the pairwise than ND...Maybe I'm wrong,but I doubt it...Hope I am..Where's Dave??...Can Nodak go up in the pairwise if they beat W Mich??...Only way they could get in,right??..

Just go back and read. Wow. It has been said 100 times how they can get in.

This may be a little far fetched, but has or would or could a team that's a "lock" for the tourney take a night off and make life easier for their conference mate? For example, WI lets off the gas for OSU?

Wisconsin is still playing for a trophy and a #1 seed so I doubt they would "take a night off". That being said, this game is obviously more important to Ohio State so it wouldn't surprise me if they won.

Ties. (Not even scores. Neckware.)

Where's that list ... I need to keep that handy ... there it is: Cary Eades, Brad Berry, Steve Johnson, Tony Hrkac, ...

No list of potential coaching candidates (if that's what your list is supposed to consist of) is complete without the name Jake Bondy.

• Upvote 1

We would've been done without the 3rd place game

Thanks. Never went to the Final Five before but one of the reasons I but tix for the NCHC tourney was because I knew I would get to watch UND play two games regardless. I remember quite a few people didn't care for the idea of the 3rd place game when the NCHC announced the format. Looks like it worked out for the best.

Does anyone know where the article is that showed percentages of teams winning the frozen four? It showed the four top seeds win it a little over 50% of the time and all the others which have individually about a 7% chance to win it, but collectively these seeds win it just under 50% of the time? Thought it was interesting and I wanted to show it to someone, thanks.

Does anyone know where the article is that showed percentages of teams winning the frozen four? It showed the four top seeds win it a little over 50% of the time and all the others which have individually about a 7% chance to win it, but collectively these seeds win it just under 50% of the time? Thought it was interesting and I wanted to show it to someone, thanks.

I've seen KRACH used to predict the tourney as well...

Well THAT is me :) But, I'm not familiar with the article big sky's talking about. I honestly would've guessed that 50% was too high for 1 seeds -- would be interested in seeing the stats myself.

Yes it was a great article and I cannot find it, it may have been on twitter but I thought it was on SS..