SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome back Bubba

ericpnelson

Have to somewhat disagree with both of these comments. Women's hockey has a tremendous upside and might very well hang an NCAA banner before the Men's team hangs #8. Right now I would rank them as:

1) Men's Hockey

2) Football

3) Women's Hockey

4) Volleyball

5) (tie) Men's and Women's Basketball

Sure women's hockey may hang a national title banner, but they'll still only get 1,000 people to watch their games because women's hockey is boring. The team is already very good, has had Olympians on the roster, and yet they still can't get anybody to watch them. UND has to bribe the students with free tuition drawings in order to get more than a couple hundred people to show up. That puts them behind football, MBB, WBB, and volleyball.

• Upvote 1

Sure women's hockey may hang a national title banner, but they'll still only get 1,000 people to watch their games because women's hockey is boring. The team is already very good, has had Olympians on the roster, and yet they still can't get anybody to watch them. UND has to bribe the students with free tuition drawings in order to get more than a couple hundred people to show up. That puts them behind football, MBB, WBB, and volleyball.

Went to USA vs. Canada women's game last Friday. It was not boring. And we left before the fight.

Went to USA vs. Canada women's game last Friday. It was not boring. And we left before the fight.

The fight was pretty cool but when you pluck the best players from college teams it should be a little more exciting.

I am a big hockey fan and I have tried to watch UND W hockey and I just couldn't last more than 10 minutes.

Look at attendance numbers; that gives a good indication of the sports popularity. Plus it suggests revenue, which is what the athletic department thrives on. So, the athletic department will only invest in a sport according to what they will get out of it. With that logic, M hockey is #1 and football is #2.

I heard there was to be a presser today sometime. anyone know when and how to watch

Kyle “Bubba” Schweigert will be formally introduced as the 26th head coach in UND history at a press conference on Friday, Dec. 27 at 10 a.m. at the Alerus Center.

Watch the press conference for free live on UND Insider. UNDsports.com will post the press conference and interviews following the event for on-demand viewing.

If you want to see a coach that is passionate about football, the University of North Dakota, and leading young men, I encourage you to watch the press conference today announcing Bubba as the head coach. It is obvious that this was the best choice for UND's football program. The following two quotes will tell you all you need to know about the heart and passion Bubba has for coaching and for leading a team:

"It is better to do what's right than what is popular"

"the team is most important"

Just refreshing hearing a coach talk about getting the right coaches with a work ethic and creating a product on the field that all of us fans can be proud of.

• Upvote 2

If you want to see a coach that is passionate about football, the University of North Dakota, and leading young men, I encourage you to watch the press conference today announcing Bubba as the head coach. It is obvious that this was the best choice for UND's football program. The following two quotes will tell you all you need to know about the heart and passion Bubba has for coaching and for leading a team:

"It is better to do what's right than what is popular"

"the team is most important"

Just refreshing hearing a coach talk about getting the right coaches with a work ethic and creating a product on the field that all of us fans can be proud of.

Jackson and Golladay may not have fit this concept very well. Guys like Iverson, on the other hand, exemplify what Schweigert is talking about.

The statement about the core of the team coming from the North Dakota/Minnesota region will rekindle Sioux pride.

• 1 year later...

Honestly, I expect the Sioux to flirt with .500 next season and have a winning record in Bubba's second year.

By 2016, one of our senior QBs will be handing it off 20+ times to Patrick Sharp every week while Bubba's nasty D will be terrorizing Big Sky quarterbacks en route to our first playoff appearance in DI.

I think this guy needs to go to Vegas for his next vacation! This is as close to an exact prediction as you can get.

• Upvote 1