SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome back Bubba

ericpnelson

Give Bubba 2-3 years and he will put a product on the field that we will not only be proud of, but will also be able to compete with the Ag school to the south.

Think you need to worry about competing within your own conference first before you make that jump up to big boy football like the Ag school down to the south.

Sorry, but I think a few of you are a bit delusional. First off, UND is not a "top FCS program". Secondly a "experienced FBS assistant" would have to take a significant pay cut to coach at UND and probably has opportunities to move up at the FBS level. Keep in mind that Bubba will make half of the new NDSU HC and less than a position coach at any BIG10 school.

The fact of the matter is that Bubba is a good coach with good experience and connections across the midwest (after recruiting ND,SD,MN,WI,ILL,IA). Faison interviewd multiple qualified candidates and made the decision on the best fit for the UND.

Absolutely not - stop trying to sugarcoat everything the university does. Criticism and exceptional expectations breed success. You think every FBS assistant makes over 150K? Wrong, sir. Go look at the top FCS coaches and their resumes. Also, UND is in a top FCS conference, so If they don't become a top FCS program like EWU and the Montana schools, UND will rarely win the Big Sky and make the playoffs. Get your head out of the gutter of mediocrity! It's "supporters" like you that keep UND a hockey-only school.

With that said, I believe through hard work, not experience, Bubba can turn this program into a top Big Sky program.

Sorry, but I think a few of you are a bit delusional. First off, UND is not a "top FCS program". Secondly a "experienced FBS assistant" would have to take a significant pay cut to coach at UND and probably has opportunities to move up at the FBS level. Keep in mind that Bubba will make half of the new NDSU HC and less than a position coach at any BIG10 school.

The fact of the matter is that Bubba is a good coach with good experience and connections across the midwest (after recruiting ND,SD,MN,WI,ILL,IA). Faison interviewd multiple qualified candidates and made the decision on the best fit for the UND.

I think you're missing on who he was talking about as an "experienced FBS assistant" that would be Pflugrad.

Trust me, the Ag school will be getting a dose of reality over the next couple of years since Kill (unlike Brewster) is pulling in the best regional talent. The MVC will even out and possibly shift toward UNI or SDSU, while UND pulls in more and better regional talent. Although I am sure those in fantasy land at Moo U, think they will continue to win national championships forever.

1. we are not currently a top FCS program, I did not say we could never be a top FCS program.

2. you are delusional to think you are going to bring in a FBS coach that makes 100k more in his current postion.

3. i did not say that we should expect to be bottom feeders and accept mediocrity.

If you must, read my post again, then comment on what was said, not what you implied.

When did I say we ARE currently a top FCS program!? I said, if you look and read yourself, that we need to become a top FCS program through Bubba.

Absolutely not - stop trying to sugarcoat everything the university does. Criticism and exceptional expectations breed success. You think every FBS assistant makes over 150K? Wrong, sir. Go look at the top FCS coaches and their resumes. Also, UND is in a top FCS conference, so If they don't become a top FCS program like EWU and the Montana schools, UND will rarely win the Big Sky and make the playoffs. Get your head out of the gutter of mediocrity! It's "supporters" like you that keep UND a hockey-only school.

With that said, I believe through hard work, not experience, Bubba can turn this program into a top Big Sky program.

In all honesty UND will always be know as a hockey school. The woman's hockey team is making a strong push to be the number 2 sport at UND, I'd also say national title in 2 years for the woman's hockey team, or atleast win a D1 title before the football team does.

I'd give Bubba 3 years to be atleast .500 which is reasonable, and if he is he longer then his initial contract Big Sky champs in 10 years (that includes his first 4 years). UND should be in the top 4 or 5 in the Big Sky conference and competing for the Big Sky title and a playoff spot.

Wow, someone doesn't read and comprehend very well. Did I say "every" FBS assistant? Did I say that UND was not in a top FCS conference? No, I did not! Where are you coming up with this mediocrity crap? Sugarcoat what the university does? How am I doing that?

A list of Minnesota assistant salaries:

Tracy Claeys, defensive coordinator - $320,000

Matt Limegrover, offensive coordinator - $305,000

Bill Miller, assistant head coach/linebackers - $200,000

Jeff Phelps, defensive line - $180,000

Jim Zebrowski, quarterbacks - $180,000

Rob Reeves, tight ends/H-backs - $145,000

Jay Sawvel, defensive backs/special teams - $145,000

Patrick Poore, receivers - $135,000

Brian Anderson, running backs - $135,000

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2012/06/05/gophers-football-assistant-salaries-rank-among-big-ten%E2%80%99s-lowest

In all honesty UND will always be know as a hockey school. The woman's hockey team is making a strong push to be the number 2 sport at UND, I'd also say national title in 2 years for the woman's hockey team, or atleast win a D1 title before the football team does.

I'd give Bubba 3 years to be atleast .500 which is reasonable, and if he is he longer then his initial contract Big Sky champs in 10 years (that includes his first 4 years). UND should be in the top 4 or 5 in the Big Sky conference and competing for the Big Sky title and a playoff spot.

Wow - lofty expectations - I can see why we are going to be a powerhouse - the fans demand it

3 years to rebuild team and get his playas in the bulding

year 4 he makes a run at 500 ball

gets a contract extension

then if he does nothing then bubbas gone.

Not trying to be an ass but I think expectations should be a little better than hoping for a .500 record and 6th or 7th in the Big Sky in 3 or 4 years, this year could be tough but things should start turning around in 2015 if Bubba's defense can play like many here think.

• Upvote 1

You seriously believe that women's hockey will one day be the number 2 team on campus? Ahead of football and men's bball? I hope I never live to see the day where women's hockey is our second most popular sport.

• Upvote 1

my sources tell me we will be happy with our coordinators and Faison was abel to generate money for bubs to spread out

So based on your sources track record for the next HC, we should expect the opposite of what you say and be disappointed with the assistants he chooses...

• Upvote 1

my sources tell me we will be happy with our coordinators and Faison was abel to generate money for bubs to spread out

I actually can't wait until Bubba and company gets this team back, and with 8 months until San Jose State what a statement would it be to get UND's first ever FBS win. That would almost be a sure way to get butts in the seats, and hype back to where it was prior to the SDSU game.

Tell me the story again, Ira, about how there is no "good old boys" network".

Since every head coach at UND Football since gosh who knows when (1930s?) had previously worked at UND, you have to wonder if boosters are putting up money/buying out Mussmans contract with the hope/strong encouragement it would be former coaches coming back (bubba).

With that said congrats Bubba. Hope you do well.