SiouxSports.com Forum

Pflugrad....baggage? Not in my book.

GoGriz

The only issue I have with pflugrad is that I don't want to run that offense at UND. I'd rather go pro style with a mixed in spread as a change of pace. I'm not a fan of the Oregon offense. There's a reason they haven't won a game against a team with equal talent recently.

That's nonsense. Auburn runs something similar and look where there at. National Championship in 2010 and playing for another in January. Sam Houston State runs something similar, also, and they have been in the past two FCS national championships. Only apart of the equation is the scheme you run; most of it is the talent of the players and execution/discipline.

In case people haven't been to a game in over a decade, we now play in the climate-controlled Alerus Center...not in Memorial anymore people.

That's nonsense. Auburn runs something similar and look where there at. National Championship in 2010 and playing for another in January. Sam Houston State runs something similar, also, and they have been in the past two FCS national championships. Only apart of the equation is the scheme you run; most of it is the talent of the players and execution/discipline.

In case people haven't been to a game in over a decade, we now play in the climate-controlled Alerus Center...not in Memorial anymore people.

Auburn runs the read totally different than Oregon.

We need a smashmouth offense.

Auburn runs the read totally different than Oregon.

We need a smashmouth offense.

We don't NEED a "smashmouth" offense. An offense only needs to be able to consistently put up points and not turn the ball over. Pflugrad's system will do that. His offensive experiences at Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon, Montana, and Weber State make him more than qualified; he knows how to put up points.

Auburn runs a little bit more inside veer because they have a more physical quarterback in Marshall (and back in 2010 with Newton), who also isn't very great at throwing the ball. Oregon runs the same concepts but they have smaller running backs this season and a very capable passer in Mariota; therefore, they throw the ball alot more than Auburn does. The spread option offense has the capability of being all kinds of "smashmouth" if you want it to be. Pflugrad ran inside zone with Moore at Montana and he got all kinds of short-yardage. Ohio State and Urban Meyer and their spread option system have smashed people all year with Braxton Miller and 230-lb running back Hyde.

If Pflugrad comes in, the one thing you will notice immediately is his DI experience, both FBS and Big Sky. He will start doing things to get this program on track to be a competitive Big Sky football program. He knows the type of players to recruit, the type of systems to run, and most importantly, how to operate/facilitate a division I football team.

• Upvote 1

The reason I want a smashmouth offense is because it's the best friend of a defense. Oregon and Auburn have bad defenses because of they way they play offense. I want offense and defense to compliment each other instead of the offense ruining the defense. I'd rather have an offense that averages 15 points a game and a d that averages 10 than an offense that averages 38 and a d that averages 38.

• Upvote 2

I really don't care what type of offense a team runs, so long as they win. A good coach will adapt the scheme to fit the skill-set of the roster. I do prefer a balanced offense. But that doesn't mean it can't be 4 yard passes in place of 4 yard runs. Our traditional recruiting grounds seem to offer more "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type players than it does "chuck the pigskin" type players. Although there are always exceptions.

As nostalgic and sentimental I am about the Thomas-Lennon era of the 1990's through the mid-2000's, the game has changed. You must have some sort of deep passing game to loosen up defenses enough to be able to establish a legitimate running game. Defenses are more athletic and nimble than they used to be, so you must have balance and enough tools in the toolbox for any situation that comes up. The offenses we had in the early to mid 1990's would be toast in today's game. I think the spread option would work great for us.

NDSU does fine with a meat and potatoes offense.

That example keeps being brought up, but everyone ignores the fact that they do have a functioning passing game. Brock Jensen is not a great QB, but is a consistently solid QB; you know what you're getting from him every week. He keeps the defenses honest so that the running game can work and (with a few exceptions the past couple of years) makes good decisions with the ball. With a great defense like they have now (which they won't always have), that is enough to win. At Southern Illinois however, it hasn't worked as well for Lennon and company. Dominant defenses like NDSU's are not all that common; they come around only so often. If we are going to count on having a defense like that, we'll have a lot of lean years.

That example keeps being brought up, but everyone ignores the fact that they do have a functioning passing game. Brock Jensen is not a great QB, but is a consistently solid QB; you know what you're getting from him every week. He keeps the defenses honest so that the running game can work and (with a few exceptions the past couple of years) makes good decisions with the ball. With a great defense like they have now (which they won't always have), that is enough to win. At Southern Illinois however, it hasn't worked as well for Lennon and company. Dominant defenses like NDSU's are not all that common; they come around only so often. If we are going to count on having a defense like that, we'll have a lot of lean years.

The problem is that people think their defense is that good by itself. They get complimented in a huge way by a great punter and a ball control offense that gives them all day to rest and make adjustments.

The problem is that people think their defense is that good by itself. They get complimented in a huge way by a great punter and a ball control offense that gives them all day to rest and make adjustments.

But Lennon has tried to win with the same basic philosophy and it isn't working very well down there. If the Bison had a good (but not great) defense, they wouldn't be close to the team they are right now.

When you hold Zenner and Co. to -32 yards on 19 carries...it is about the defense. Any offense looks good when they have that defense to hide behind, starting at the 50 every drive and knowing if you don't score you'll get it back 4 plays later makes it pretty easy.

Tom Miller tweeted to this affect...the UND HR dept., yes folks, the HR dept. has widdled the list to 9 based on it's "points" system. Is Faison at Tim Horton's all day or what?

This is the part of this "search" that has really bugged me... Why can't the applications go straight to Faison? Who would be more qualified to choose the right candidates to move forward, the HR staff or the actual Athletic Director??? I realize they are following university/state procedure, but c'mon, this doesn't really make any sense, as well as the fact that it's taken almost a month to get 9 "candidates" since the job was posted....

Time to look at some of these policies & timelines.

This is the part of this "search" that has really bugged me... Why can't the applications go straight to Faison? Who would be more qualified to choose the right candidates to move forward, the HR staff or the actual Athletic Director??? I realize they are following university/state procedure, but c'mon, this doesn't really make any sense, as well as the fact that it's taken almost a month to get 9 "candidates" since the job was posted....

Time to look at some of these policies & timelines.

Or why can't points be added up as apps come in? Some of these have been on their desk for a month.

I do believe that Pflugrad & the AD were made scapegoats at Montana... I was looking at the Montana coaching staff from 2011 to 2012. After Pflugard was let go, 6 out of his 10 coaches were still on the 2012 staff, including Mick Delaney, 2011's Assistant Head Coach, who was promoted to Head Coach in 2012. This 10 number does include DC Mike Breske, who accepted the D-Coordinator position at Wash St (definitely a move up) 2 months before Pflugrad was fired and OC Jonathan Smith, who also left 2 months before Pflugrad was let go, was hired as QB coach at Boise State (a good career move & probably a nice bump in pay as well). These were both a month before the alleged incident with Johnson occured as well. So basically, only 2 coaching staff members were not retained from the 2011 staff to the 2012 staff (not sure what became of those 2 coaches, if they moved on by their own choice, retired, were not renewed, etc, but it looks like their coaching duties were split amongst the other coaches.)

If University of Montana was so concerned with a culture problem or the behavior of the football team, why would they keep all but 2 of the existing coaches, including promoting a current staff member to head coach? You'd think they would do a total house-cleaning if there was such concern. Looks to me like the higher ups needed a scapegoat & that was Pflugrad.

Exactly! I've been saying this for months. Although most of our fan base can't see the complete dysfunction in the move. Our President fires Pflugrad, then hires a guy Pflugrad promoted to Associate Head Coach in 2011, and retains virtually his whole staff?? Such a weak move that speaks volumes about the current "leadership" of UM.

Tom Miller tweeted to this affect...the UND HR dept., yes folks, the HR dept. has widdled the list to 9 based on it's "points" system. Is Faison at Tim Horton's all day or what?

Faison could be giving HR the list and who to cut from it, I don't think he is letting HR pick and choose who to cut on their own. Don't worry Faison knows what he is doing, if it was up to HR we would still have Muss.

Faison could be giving HR the list and who to cut from it, I don't think he is letting HR pick and choose who to cut on their own. Don't worry Faison knows what he is doing, if it was up to HR we would still have Muss.

Then why nine names? Why not cut it to three, five at the very most?