SiouxSports.com Forum

CBSSN, one last rant, maybe

sprig

After skipping two weekends of college hockey, CBSSN returns with two games involving B1G schools (won't deny they turned out to be good games).

When BTN shows a game, it's a conference game between 2 B1G schools. CBSSN, shows their disinterest in the NCHC exclusive deal by ignoring conference matchups, and picking non-con games that have B1G teams playing. What a crap deal the NCHC made.

End rant.

After skipping two weekends of college hockey, CBSSN returns with two games involving B1G schools (won't deny they turned out to be good games).

When BTN shows a game, it's a conference game between 2 B1G schools. CBSSN, shows their disinterest in the NCHC exclusive deal by ignoring conference matchups, and picking non-con games that have B1G teams playing. What a crap deal the NCHC made.

End rant.

Agree 100% with you. Lock up the NCHC and then show B1G schools for a larger market. I was reading here or somewhere else that the B1G hockey contract really screwed the Wisconsin fans TV viewing. They actually got it worse than we did. Hard to believe.

End rant.

Actually I was just talking about this with a buddy. Super odd.

Since this is re-brought up I will post this here. I believe there was much debate before on the definition of regional and national network. Well for Directv sports pack it turns out Root Sports must be considered regional, because I got to watch the end of Western Michigan at Denver game.

• Upvote 1

How long is the contract between the NCHC and CBSSN? Anyone know?

I think we're currently trying to get rid of that exclusivity problem so we can get our games back on FCS. That's the best idea in my opinion because keeping CBS showing NCHC games plus having our games on FCS increases national exposure for the league.

I think we're currently trying to get rid of that exclusivity problem so we can get our games back on FCS. That's the best idea in my opinion because keeping CBS showing NCHC games plus having our games on FCS increases national exposure for the league.

If that happens all will be good in sioux hockey land from coast to coast. What a embarrassing deal they have now. You're dread on though that would fix everything with fcs or anyone for that matter who will take on at least the home games.

I am not happy with the current TV situation either, nothing is going to be done until we speak out. Although, I don’t know if they will listen to the fans anyways, because the NCHC doesn’t seem to care anyways. So, what do we do? No one seems to be listening the fans, and the league doesn’t want to do away with the exclusivity deal even though they would rather show one of our teams playing B1G teams instead of our conference games between two NCHC teams.

I actually covered this subject this summer. I think the current NCHC deal is Unacceptable.

Edited by Goon

Although, I don’t know if they will listen to the fans anyways, because the NCHC doesn’t seem to care anyways. So, what do we do? No one seems to be listening the fans, and the league doesn’t want to do away with the exclusivity deal even though they would rather show one of our teams playing B1G teams instead of our conference games between two NCHC teams.

I'll start by saying I agree that the exclusivity clause should be a two-way street where CBSSN only does NCHC league games if available. I'm fine with the network doing two Atlantic Hockey games this year because I don't really care about that.

However, where do you get the impression that the current admin of the NCHC doesn't care? The league and CBSSN signed the contract under the old administration and obviously the network wanted that exclusivity clause in there. CBSSN isn't going to just rescind that part of the contract because Josh Fenton asks nicely. Perhaps, there is nothing the NCHC can do about that clause now that they've learned some of the negative aspects. You act like if the NCHC says "let's get rid of that exclusivity part" then it's just suddenly gone. It's a freaking contract and while contracts are broken all the time, ones like these are not. People learn a lot from contract one to contract two and I imagine there will be changes if/when the contract is renewed.

You have no proof the league likes the exclusivity clause, you have no proof the league hasn't tried to remove that part of the clause and you have no proof that the league doesn't care. But clearly, that won't stop you from making some fun accusations.

P.S. The same league that is in the forefront of video and social media for the fans, because of requests by the fans, probably tends to listen to the fans pretty well.

I think Cbssn does a good job on the game production for the most part but....it is a terrible terwibbahl terwibbahl deal for the NCHC and needs to be changed ASAP. Was this a 1 year or 2 yr deal...?..

Getting rid of the exclusivity clause is the key....I just am hoping that was Scheer's "sp" stupidity and lack of relevent experience that brought it about. ..and the next deal will be much better for the NCHC

I think Cbssn does a good job on the game production for the most part but....it is a terrible terwibbahl terwibbahl deal for the NCHC and needs to be changed ASAP. Was this a 1 year or 2 yr deal...?..

Getting rid of the exclusivity clause is the key....I just am hoping that was Scheer's "sp" stupidity and lack of relevent experience that brought it about. ..and the next deal will be much better for the NCHC

All I've been able to find is that it is a multi-year contract. I'll ask around and see if I can find out exactly how many years.

I'll start by saying I agree that the exclusivity clause should be a two-way street where CBSSN only does NCHC league games if available. I'm fine with the network doing two Atlantic Hockey games this year because I don't really care about that.

However, where do you get the impression that the current admin of the NCHC doesn't care? The league and CBSSN signed the contract under the old administration and obviously the network wanted that exclusivity clause in there. CBSSN isn't going to just rescind that part of the contract because Josh Fenton asks nicely. Perhaps, there is nothing the NCHC can do about that clause now that they've learned some of the negative aspects. You act like if the NCHC says "let's get rid of that exclusivity part" then it's just suddenly gone. It's a freaking contract and while contracts are broken all the time, ones like these are not. People learn a lot from contract one to contract two and I imagine there will be changes if/when the contract is renewed.

You have no proof the league likes the exclusivity clause, you have no proof the league hasn't tried to remove that part of the clause and you have no proof that the league doesn't care. But clearly, that won't stop you from making some fun accusations.

P.S. The same league that is in the forefront of video and social media for the fans, because of requests by the fans, probably tends to listen to the fans pretty well.

Here's a question I've wondered....is midco sn in favor of the exclusivity clause? Did they or und help force this clause? With midco sn being the only option for und hockey on tv nationwide, it really makes me wonder.

Here's a question I've wondered....is midco sn in favor of the exclusivity clause? Did they or und help force this clause? With midco sn being the only option for und hockey on tv nationwide, it really makes me wonder.

CBS Sports signed the contract with NCHC in January of 2012. Midcontinent didn't sign the deal with UND until June 2012. Why would Midcontinent try to force anything before they had a deal, and how would they be able to force anything? They had no power in the equation. And Midcontinent doesn't really benefit from the clause, it just takes games away from what they can broadcast.

All reports have said that UND and Mr. Faison voted against the contract. How does UND benefit from the clause? If they don't benefit from the clause, why would they try to force the inclusion of the clause? UND lost some visibility because of the clause, and the Midcontinent deal was signed after the CBS Sports deal, so it was based on Midcontinent having to deal with the exclusivity clause. Your questions have no logical basis.

What? The CBSSN/NCHC deal is not good for Midco. They lose revenue from the games they don't get to do. Their product isn't aired nationally on FCS. UND voted against the contract because of that clause.

The Production is awesome.

The Big Ten schools are going to draw higher ratings. Can't blame them for making a smart business decision.

The one good thing, got to watch them lose both games on national TV. Guess that's two good things.

Seems like the CBS exclusivity clause did more to eliminate college hockey from TV than get it on. IMO there's little to watch on CBSSN.

• Upvote 1

The Big Ten schools are going to draw higher ratings. Can't blame them for making a smart business decision.

Then why did they demand an exclusive contract with the NCHC? Sorry DaveK, but I will blame them for this because they are screwing us over big time. Every time we are screwed out of a player by the CHL or television coverage by somebody, we are told that "We can't blame them for this and that". Well, enough is enough; I am sick and tired of it! :angry: If they don't want to put NCHC games on their precious little network, then why did they sign the deal in the first place? As soon as possible, we need to tell CBSSN to take a hike and not let the door hit their prominent posteriors on the way out. Then we should explore all viable options for getting our games on television that don't involve bait and switch tactics like this.

End Rant.

I believe that UND voted against the clause and doesn't want it and would nix it if possible but a contract is a contract.

I think the first NCHC administration was inept and was scared into whatever they thought they could get once the "lure" of Notre Dame had sailed....NBCSN with it.

I also think now that Mr.Fenton would very much like to renegotiate the deal.

I would very much think Midco would love to be able to sell its production out to FCS.....

The initial NCHC admin botched a lot of things I believe but growing pains happen and you learn from mistakes....hopefully

But we still have a high school volleyball play by play guy who doesn't understand hockey from a ring toss with a job so you never know....sometimes it is all about money as opposed to what the customer base wants

I believe that UND voted against the clause and doesn't want it and would nix it if possible but a contract is a contract.

I think the first NCHC administration was inept and was scared into whatever they thought they could get once the "lure" of Notre Dame had sailed....NBCSN with it.

I also think now that Mr.Fenton would very much like to renegotiate the deal.

I would very much think Midco would love to be able to sell its production out to FCS.....

The initial NCHC admin botched a lot of things I believe but growing pains happen and you learn from mistakes....hopefully

But we still have a high school volleyball play by play guy who doesn't understand hockey from a ring toss with a job so you never know....sometimes it is all about money as opposed to what the customer base wants

The fact that these two things are no longer considered synonymous with each other explains a lot of the problems in America today (including sports coverage of all kinds).