SiouxSports.com Forum

CBSSN, one last rant, maybe

sprig

I wasn't aware they got anything for the CBSCCS, any idea how much? I think Midco sucks worse than CBS in terms of limiting the number of households UND hockey plays in. It's too bad they can't hash something out with Fox College Sports, I know there are a lot of alumni and fans that would appreciate it.

I wasn't aware they got anything for the CBSCCS, any idea how much? I think Midco sucks worse than CBS in terms of limiting the number of households UND hockey plays in. It's too bad they can't hash something out with Fox College Sports, I know there are a lot of alumni and fans that would appreciate it.

Midco would be happy to work with FCS on hockey, they are on all of the other sports. But they are not allowed to put hockey games on FCS because of the NCHC contract with CBS Sports. UND and Midco will continue to look for ways around that restriction.

I don't think that numbers were ever released about the CBS Sports contract.

Midco would be happy to work with FCS on hockey, they are on all of the other sports. But they are not allowed to put hockey games on FCS because of the NCHC contract with CBS Sports. UND and Midco will continue to look for ways around that restriction.

I don't think that numbers were ever released about the CBS Sports contract.

I really doubt that it was that much per team. Not like there is a huge market for them. But for teams that were not getting any tv money is was nice.

You missed mine, which was, with no CBS deal, the national television exposure for the teams in the league would have differed minimally, only UND took the big hit. That does, however, not factor in the money the league got for the deal.

Not all national TV is made the same. Just because you're on a national channel like FCS doesn't mean you're getting the same national exposure as an HD channel that is easier to access. There is a massive difference in the number of viewers for a game on CBSSN vs a game on FCS. There is a massive difference in exposure for a university playing on the road versus playing at home. CBSSN isn't going to show WMU's arena if it's a game at the Ralph. They're going to focus more on the home team because that's where the cameras are at.

The number of games may be minimal but the national exposure is overwhelmingly better for the 7 schools who magically happen to be the 7 schools that voted yes.

I really doubt that it was that much per team. Not like there is a huge market for them. But for teams that were not getting any tv money is was nice.

It probably wasn't huge dollars. But money from the TV contract plus money from the conference tournament probably cover most, if not all of the costs to run the conference. That would be money that the schools don't have to take out of their own programs. Anything over the cost to run the conference would be returned to the schools.

Not all national TV is made the same. Just because you're on a national channel like FCS doesn't mean you're getting the same national exposure as an HD channel that is easier to access. There is a massive difference in the number of viewers for a game on CBSSN vs a game on FCS. There is a massive difference in exposure for a university playing on the road versus playing at home. CBSSN isn't going to show WMU's arena if it's a game at the Ralph. They're going to focus more on the home team because that's where the cameras are at.

The number of games may be minimal but the national exposure is overwhelmingly better for the 7 schools who magically happen to be the 7 schools that voted yes.

CBSSN is not even available from many cable television providers, including the one where I live. How does that make it easy to access?

CBSSN is not even available from many cable television providers, including the one where I live. How does that make it easy to access?

Aren't we talking national exposure? Or is it just Sprig exposure now? FCS is available in 50 million homes. CBSSN (IN HD!) is available in 98 million homes.

• Upvote 1

There is a massive difference in the number of viewers for a game on CBSSN vs a game on FCS.

Doubtful. A big college hockey crowd on NBC Sports Network draws maybe 150,000 viewers, and NBCSN has a much larger potential audience. If there is a difference in the number of viewers between CBSSN and FCS, you're talking about maybe a couple thousand either way, which is pretty insignificant.

The NCHC isn't making any money on their TV deal, and it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the schools were actually paying in to get on TV.

CBSSN is not available from Paul Bunyan cable in the Bemidji area at the cabin. Fox or FSSN was always on there.

And that stinks because it should be available in more places. People who want to watch the games in areas like those need to call their cable companies and request the channel be added specifically because of Sioux hockey. Bemidji understands the importance and would be more likely to add it because of that reason.

But if we're talking about national exposure, 98 > 50.

And that stinks because it should be available in more places. People who want to watch the games in areas like those need to call their cable companies and request the channel be added specifically because of Sioux hockey. Bemidji understands the importance and would be more likely to add it because of that reason.

But if we're talking about national exposure, 98 > 50.

Would those numbers actually be potential homes? How many are large systems like Cox or something? More interesting would be actual customers.

Here's the count of NCHC televised games with the exclusive CBSSN contract (1st number is the number of times the teams are on nationally on just CBS, the second the number they'd be on with ND having the national FCS contract).

North Dakota 6-17

Miami 4-2

CC 4-2

Denver 2-0

SCSU 3-2

WMU 4-2

MDU 2-2

Omaha 1-2

Totals 26-29

Exactly how much did the teams benefit from voting for the exclusivity contract (Note: this doesn't include games on regional networks, that viewers can access nationally with satellite sports paks -ie Denver on ROOT, or on FTA, where many games can be found). The big hit was taken by UND alone, hence my "idiotic" conspiracy theory.

UND has more games on CBSSN than Denver, Duluth and Omaha combined?

Doubtful. A big college hockey crowd on NBC Sports Network draws maybe 150,000 viewers, and NBCSN has a much larger potential audience. If there is a difference in the number of viewers between CBSSN and FCS, you're talking about maybe a couple thousand either way, which is pretty insignificant.

The NCHC isn't making any money on their TV deal, and it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the schools were actually paying in to get on TV.

Average NBCSN game last year was 68,000 and that included two games with UND that topped 100k. Even half of that number is still significantly more than people watching a game on FCS. 1/3 of that is likely still more than double what FCS receives.

It helps that CBSSN is now in the 200s for DirecTV this year. In the past it was in the 600s and was just as difficult to find as the FCS channels. People are much more likely to stumble upon a college hockey game on CBSSN now than at any time in the past. And really, in college hockey where it's a destination sport for so few people... your national exposure is relying on people stumbling upon it and hoping they stick around for more.

Would those numbers actually be potential homes? How many are large systems like Cox or something? More interesting would be actual customers.

Yes, all numbers are potential homes. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to get actual numbers nation-wide as most cable systems are pretty secretive even about their overall subscription base.

Yes, all numbers are potential homes. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to get actual numbers nation-wide as most cable systems are pretty secretive even about their overall subscription base.

Just wanted to clarify the numbers. Didn't you say that something like 25% have the sports packages? I do disagree with you on one point. I think people can stumble across a game on FCS as easily as CBSCS. On my cable system they are only a couple of channels apart.

Just wanted to clarify the numbers. Didn't you say that something like 25% have the sports packages? I do disagree with you on one point. I think people can stumble across a game on FCS as easily as CBSCS. On my cable system they are only a couple of channels apart.

Yes, it's about 20% nationally on cable. I don't know the numbers for satellite.

As for stumbling to CBSSN, I was referring to that channel on directv. Now that CBSSN is in the low 200s with the other major sports channels it is much easier to stumble upon. When it was in the 600s it was much more difficult for a casual fan to find since it was mixed in with regionals, FCS and other lesser watched.

No one will accidentally stumble across college hockey on CBSSN this weekend, as yet again there is no NCHC (or any other hockey for that matter) on CBSSN. Why did CBS want this deal? What's wrong with Miami @ UNO, or CC at SCSU? Seems like CBS showed more CCHA hockey last year than they are showing NCHC this year. Their deal seems to have done more to eliminate the NCHC from national recognition than to actually showcase the NCHC, which I'd think CBS would want since they got exclusivity.

• Upvote 1

Another weekend of college hockey, another weekend with no NCHC (or any other hockey for that matter) on CBSSN. Why did CBS want this deal? What's wrong with Miami @ UNO, or CC at SCSU?

The contract is for 18 NCHC games. Not for an NCHC game every weekend. CBSSN has contracts with other conferences for other sports... just like every single network that broadcasts sports.

Seems like CBS showed more CCHA hockey last year than they are showing NCHC this year.

Math really isn't your strong suit? Neither is google it seems. CBSSN showed 7 games featuring CCHA teams last year, 1 of which was a non-conference game. There were 11 teams in the CCHA last year and only 5 of those teams were on CBSSN.

Their deal seems to have done more to eliminate the NCHC from national recognition than to actually showcase the NCHC, which I'd think they'd want to since they got exclusivity.

You can keep repeating that over and over but it doesn't make it true. What games were eliminated from national recognition this weekend due to the CBSSN deal?

The contract is for 18 NCHC games. Not for an NCHC game every weekend. CBSSN has contracts with other conferences for other sports... just like every single network that broadcasts sports.

Math really isn't your strong suit? Neither is google it seems. CBSSN showed 7 games featuring CCHA teams last year, 1 of which was a non-conference game. There were 11 teams in the CCHA last year and only 5 of those teams were on CBSSN.

You can keep repeating that over and over but it doesn't make it true. What games were eliminated from national recognition this weekend due to the CBSSN deal?

I know! I know! NONE!