SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

a million $,$$$,$$$ a year in incentives! WOW!

I am pretty sure that most of that isn't incentives, although some of it probably is. The $1.2 million probably includes income from camps, coaches shows, maybe vehicle use, country club memberships, etc. Those dollars don't come directly from university funds so they are separated. Camps are a big part of the income for many college coaches. The other things add up. A lot of times the base salary from the school is a relatively small % of the total income for these coaches. For example, I don't remember specifics on Hakstol's current contract, but I believe that the UND hockey coach has received funding from the Alumni Association in past years in the form of $X dollars per year for each year of the contract if the coach does not voluntarily leave during the contract. Again, those dollars are not included in the base salary of the position. I'm sure that other schools do similar things.

No.....it is from a private donor that ponied up the cash to see Christensen's ass run out of the state......

He will probably end up as an OC for FL or another large BCS school......really wanted him to pan out though but it was a painful 2nd half of the season.

Pflugrad would appear to be the first serious candidate to apply. Looking forward to seeing other promising names released in the next week.

I like him as a potential hire.

Is that actually someone's name or a reference to a graduate of some school?!

Also, when is the app deadline?!

Yeah he was the former head coach of Montana. Also the deadline is Dec. 10.

Thanks, figured that out after a bit more reading. Man, he would come with some questions given the off-field player problems UM went through with him at the helm.

December 10th isn't very far away. My guess is that we have yet to see the name of the coach you hire yet. Lot's of "behind closed doors" contacts/discussions are certainly being made/happening IMO.

Some articles on Pflugrad.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9514039/ex-montana-grizzlies-coach-robin-pflugrad-defends-program

The NCAA on Friday said the school and Pflugrad failed to monitor the football program, allowing boosters to provide benefits to players, including bail money and free legal representation for two players.

Pflugrad disagreed with his firing.

"There was an overall climate and publicity that assisted in creating a certain atmosphere in which the administration overreacted," he said. "That resulted in the termination of the athletic director and myself as head football coach."

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/pflugrad-left-part-of-his-heart-at-montana/article_9633c734-4da8-11e3-944e-0019bb2963f4.html

Pflugrad’s plan was to coach in Missoula until he retired.

He believed in his heart Montana was his “niche.” His two children were born in the Treasure State. His wife, Marlene, loved Missoula and was active as a volunteer.

He envisioned his Grizzlies winning a national championship. If not in 2012, then surely in 2013.

The 2011 Big Sky Conference Coach of the Year would love to have a head position again someday.
(bold from the article)

Pflugrad in a nut shell was the fall guy along with the AD in that "rape" ordeal from what I have heard. My good buddy who lives in Missoula and is a Griz fan said those 2 were the fall guys in a rush to judgement but under the alleged circumstances I can see how someone had to go. Ironic how the accussed was found not guilty and is currently playing for the Griz but a couple trolls already think Pflugrad would come with baggage. I'm not Faison but he should come near the top of the list regardless of who else applies.

• Upvote 1

What do we know about the off field issues at Montana? Also, how were his defenses at Montana?

There are a lot of people here who would take Pflu back in a heartbeat, a lot of people who think him and O'Day were let go prematurely as part of a witch hunt by Royce Engstrom after Johnson was arrested on the rape charge. That said, there were other issues that led to the firing besides that, a few infractions that he may or may not have known about, and with the University under scrutiny and needing to clean their slate, he and O'Day were let go, maybe as scapegoats. One incident in question was after the arrest of two players, a mother of another player paid $130 and $190 to bail the two out of jail, which one of the players grandfather paid back to the woman. Pflu learned later that the woman had bailed them out, but didn't report it to the university, saying he didn't believe it was an issue because it didn't involve anybody on the coaching staff and the players relative reimbursed her. Also related to that, an attorney provided free legal assistance to the two players, O'Day became aware of that issue and didn't report it, and that became a nail in his coffin, Pflugrad has never been mentioned in that area. After everything blew up the NCAA found a few more things, like players eating with and getting rides from boosters, but nothing really significant.

I personally think Robin is a great coach and a solid recruiter, the team that we've got now are all the guys he recruited and they played hard for him. I think he's a solid candidate despite what happened at Montana.

• Upvote 1

Pflugrad in a nut shell was the fall guy along with the AD in that "rape" ordeal from what I have heard. My good buddy who lives in Missoula and is a Griz fan said those 2 were the fall guys in a rush to judgement but under the alleged circumstances I can see how someone had to go. Ironic how the accussed was found not guilty and is currently playing for the Griz but a couple trolls already think Pflugrad would come with baggage. I'm not Faison but he should come near the top of the list regardless of who else applies.

Hmmm that would make two Division I Football Coaches in the state with baggage.(However I do think he is a great candidate. Everyone makes mistakes in judgement shouldn't haunt you for life.)
  • Upvote 2

Is it legal to hire someone that did not submit an application prior to the deadline?

They would have to say they didn't get any qualified candidates and then reopen it with the "open until filled" tag. Don't see it happening in this case.

DEADLINE: December 10, 2013 Applications received by initial deadline will have first consideration. Position open until filled

December 10 is the last day of the minimum period of time that UND is required to have the listing posted. They can continue to accept applications after the 10th.

Hmmm that would make two Division I Football Coaches in the state with baggage.(However I do think he is a great candidate. Everyone makes mistakes in judgement shouldn't haunt you for life.)

If you are referring to Bohl...you are correct. As I have mentioned prior, I have gotten to visit with him a little bit on a number of occasions. Very good guy and I would take him at UND in a heartbeat too...hypothetically.

DEADLINE: December 10, 2013 Applications received by initial deadline will have first consideration. Position open until filled

December 10 is the last day of the minimum period of time that UND is required to have the listing posted. They can continue to accept applications after the 10th.

Oh ok, I didn't catch that they had already added the open until filled tag. Nice.