SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I know this the story about the Madden gamer is old, however, I didn't know if anyone else saw the response that the athletics department gave him about formally applying before the deadline? In the email, the person from the athletic department said: "Please be sure that you apply in the formal designated manner through our Human Resources Office (online process) before the December 10thdeadline. Failure to do so will result in our inability to consider you as a candidate."

Does this mean that the rumor of a non-applicant being pursued is false? The story is here: http://www.sbnation....kota-head-coach (scroll to the bottom for the athletics department reply).

I'm guessing that he didn't fill out the UND application. No one can actually be put through the process without that application. An email like that is probably pretty standard if someone hasn't sent in the paperwork that is asked for in the job listing. If Faison is talking to someone that hasn't applied yet that person would still have to fill out an application at some point before he could be officially hired. That doesn't mean that Faison isn't talking to other potential candidates. Like any government organization, UND has to have all of the proper paperwork in place before they can proceed.

Should this guy get a look?

Rob Keys - Head Coach Findlay

Team Captain for West Virginia as a player.

Assistant at WVU

Assistant and Recruiting coordinator at Slippery Rock.

Assistant at Indiana State and New Hampshire, has coached on a FCS Playoff Team.

As head coach, has turned around the Findlay Program in the GLIAC, a very good DII conference.

I believe the one month "dead period" on recruiting only applies to FBS schools. It was brought up in the Craig bohl discussions- that he wouldn't miss out much on Wyoming recruiting as he continues to coach the bison.

So, as every other FCS school is out working hard on recruiting, we are picking our thumbs and twiddling our a$$es, aimlessly taking our time to help assure our new coach is completely behind the 8-ball in his effort to assemble a staff and try to steal other teams' recruits.

I believe the one month "dead period" on recruiting only applies to FBS schools. It was brought up in the Craig bohl discussions- that he wouldn't miss out much on Wyoming recruiting as he continues to coach the bison.

So, as every other FCS school is out working hard on recruiting, we are picking our thumbs and twiddling our a$$es, aimlessly taking our time to help assure our new coach is completely behind the 8-ball in his effort to assemble a staff and try to steal other teams' recruits.

No it applies to FCS as well. The Bohl example just happens to involve an FBS school.

If we hired a coach a week after Muss was fired, some people would have said we didn't take enough time. If we take a month and a half, some people say we are taking too long. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!!

There should be a happy medium.

And, no disrepect intended toward Schweigert, but why is Faison taking a month and a half to hire Lennon 3.0? If he is really intending to hire Schweigert, this process is dragging on way too long. That is almost as far-fetched as thinking he could entice an NFL coach to UND.

Seriously, if a national search ends up bringing back Lennon's other coordinator after the debacle of the last one, it was a national search in name only, with blinders,. Schweigert did not win the national championship at Duluth, Nielson did - twice.

Faison is the AD of a D1 university...the buck stops with him period.

As to the worldwide hiring procees of big companies, "similar" is a big big stretch IMO. My middle brother, a UND undergraduate, is a CFO of one of the bigger nonprofits in the nation and has worked for a 500 and having visited w him these companies have policies but they get their "guy" in a timely fashion regardless of process/policy.

The "real" world doesn't operate like a government "agency" like UND.

Yes but these are not government run company's! Big, Big, difference!

I guess when I'm watching NDSU on it's way to another semifinal game and see how far this FB program has sunk to and the fact other than hockey it's a huge revenue (potential) generator for the AD and now in the eyes of way too many this process is just another ring added to the circus known as UND FB and...

You need me to continue?

And BTW not every position at UND carries the same weight. Right or wrong the FB coach is a big deal.

UND football has nothing to do with the hiring practices that are in place.

Not confused one bit and we will disagree on this...the University of Alabama, and lots of schools, are full of students that came to that school for one reason and one reason only and it isn't due to the Med school dean. That's the real world.

Sure... a UND/Alabama football comparison seems like a apple to apple type of thing. UND doesn't draw many students due to it's athletic programs and never will.

There should be a happy medium.

And, no disrepect intended toward Schweigert, but why is Faison taking a month and a half to hire Lennon 3.0? If he is really intending to hire Schweigert, this process is dragging on way too long. That is almost as far-fetched as thinking he could entice an NFL coach to UND.

Seriously, if a national search ends up bringing back Lennon's other coordinator after the debacle of the last one, it was a national search in name only, with blinders,. Schweigert did not win the national championship at Duluth, Nielson did - twice.

Impossible to find a "happy medium" with so many people having an opinion and thinking they have all the answers. Maybe we should shoot for Mack Brown. He might not be a great coach but he is a great recruiter.

No it applies to FCS as well. The Bohl example just happens to involve an FBS school.

Correct and incorrect. Both FBS and FCS have recruiting dead periods this time of year, but they occur at different times. FBS has a solid month off, while FCS is just the holidays plus the third week in January for some reason.

FBS: December 16th through January 15th

FCS: December 23rd through January 3rd, January 13th through 16th

http://www.ncaa.org/...iting calendars

Sure... a UND/Alabama football comparison seems like a apple to apple type of thing. UND doesn't draw many students due to it's athletic programs and never will.

To quote UNDvince..."You missed the point of my post(s)."

Back on point...heard last night at hockey game Pflu is out as candidate. If true I'm baffled by this considering who has applied.

As someone I believe mentioned earlier here if a "national search" gets this program Bubba...wow!!!

How can the applicant still apply when it was said anyone that applies after the 10 would and could not be considered?

Application never said that. It said it would remain open until filled. Applications turned in by December 10th would receive first consideration...or something along those lines.

Application never said that. It said it would remain open until filled. Applications turned in by December 10th would receive first consideration...or something along those lines.

But apps received after the 10th lose "points" in the HR screening system?

To quote UNDvince..."You missed the point of my post(s)."

Back on point...heard last night at hockey game Pflu is out as candidate. If true I'm baffled by this considering who has applied.

As someone I believe mentioned earlier here if a "national search" gets this program Bubba...wow!!!

Oxbow, I really hope you are wrong on this one. Not knocking Bubba, but Pflu to me is clearly the best option.