SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

His emails and phone records are public information too. So if someone really wanted to, they could request his phone records and find out who he's talked to.

Emails, sure. But you'd have to be quite the sleuth to figure out what was going on based on phone records. The initial contact could easily be through an intermediary with subsequent communication in person, plus nobody would know what exactly was said in the telephone conversations. Phone calls are an entirely different thing than a formal application being submitted.

Emails, sure. But you'd have to be quite the sleuth to figure out what was going on based on phone records. The initial contact could easily be through an intermediary with subsequent communication in person, plus nobody would know what exactly was said in the telephone conversations. Phone calls are an entirely different thing than a formal application being submitted.

Right and I'd hope nobody requests them, I'm simply pointing out as far as open records go, the phone records are considered public info.

As a pure football coach, Pflugrad is more than qualified. However, I'm surprised that most are completely looking past the off-the-field issues, even aside from the Johnson case. Not sure it's the type of guy I would want running the UND program.

I have a hard time believing Faison goes with him based on the off field track record. When you start throwing in "major violations" on top of the Johnson situation, an AD like Faison would have to have red flags all over.

As a side note, it's horrible timing for Pflugrad given the Hardee ordeal. Faison will not want to deal with any potential baggage or shady track record with this hire in my opinion.

Based on what I hear and know about Pflugrad specifically and the UND search, I'd guess there's a 5% chance he ends up getting the job.

Just my .02 and speculation on "Pflu". ???

As a pure football coach, Pflugrad is more than qualified. However, I'm surprised that most are completely looking past the off-the-field issues, even aside from the Johnson case. Not sure it's the type of guy I would want running the UND program.

I have a hard time believing Faison goes with him based on the off field track record. When you start throwing in "major violations" on top of the Johnson situation, an AD like Faison would have to have red flags all over.

As a side note, it's horrible timing for Pflugrad given the Hardee ordeal. Faison will not want to deal with any potential baggage or shady track record with this hire in my opinion.

Based on what I hear and know about Pflugrad specifically and the UND search, I'd guess there's a 5% chance he ends up getting the job.

Pflugrad's "off-field issues" don't concern me at all. It is apparent he was scapegoated by the university before all the facts could get out. Outside of the Johnson case (he was found not guilty), the only thing tied to Pflugrad was the parent of a player posting bail for another player and subsequently being repaid. That's nothing, the NCAA simply had to find something to pin on Montana after spending so much time and money investigating them. What does concern me about Pflugrad is his lack of recruiting experience and connections in ND, MN, WI, and IL.

• Upvote 1

Not sure he's a great candidate or would be a good fit, but this Connelly guy has been all over FBS. OC at UTEP, and OL Coach at Arizona St., UCLA, Alabama, and Washington St. He's made the rounds at some big schools.

Bio

This past season he was an asst coach for Gilbert HS. Not sure if he was paid or just helping out. He has some consideration for the HC at UTEP. Is it possible he would be interested in OC position?

That article doesn't bother me. Admittedly, I'm not the one that matters. But if Faison thinks Pflugrad is the best choice, I don't think these off the field issues justify not hiring him.

Faison may not have seen most of those applications. The normal process at UND is that the applications are screened by HR before going to the department. If they don't meet the minimum requirements for the position then they don't get passed along. Beyond that it is up to the department to decide what they want to see. They could get all that meet the minimum, or they could be limited base on how well they meet the standards. I would guess that Mr. Faison will see all of those that at least meet the minimum requirements.

LOL.....Thanks for the best laugh I have had in months. I would love to hear you give a description on wiring a house for electricity. I just thought power came through the plug ins. :p

Based on recent events and today's Tom Miller chat, I think Bollinger will be the guy. I really do hope Pflugrad gets a shot.

How old is his dad? Would speculation be that he'd be involved in some capacity? Position coach? Video coach? Administrative? Or is that bridge burned?

LOL.....Thanks for the best laugh I have had in months. I would love to hear you give a description on wiring a house for electricity. I just thought power came through the plug ins. :p

Most people seemed to think that all of the applications went directly to Mr. Faison. They don't, so I gave a short explanation of how the process actually works. Glad I could make your day, I guess it doesn't take much.

How old is his dad? Would speculation be that he'd be involved in some capacity? Position coach? Video coach? Administrative? Or is that bridge burned?

I think Rob is around 62. I have no idea whether he's interested in getting back into coaching in some capacity, but you would think this might be the one situation which may draw him back into it for a few years anyway.

i still can't believe that people think a guy without any head coaching or even coordinator experience is the popular choice for what looks like a sizable rebuild job. Pflugrad, among many others, is a vastly superior choice, even with the minor off the field problems.

i still can't believe that people think a guy without any head coaching or even coordinator experience is the popular choice for what looks like a sizable rebuild job. Pflugrad, among many others, is a vastly superior choice, even with the minor off the field problems.

I agree and, along with your points, I will add that the coach is not supposed to be the centerpiece or "trophy wife", the players are. Sure Bohl has gotten recognition, but not because of some college or NFL career; but, rather, because of what his players have done. Not so sure kids are gonna warm up to a coach that is immediately put in the spot light over his players. I just don't see BB coming in as the big man on campus over the players and the players subscribing to it, but that is just me, and I know nothing about football.

I feel like recruiting is the key to this rebuilding job. Even disregarding the off the field issues for a moment, what evidence is there that Pflugrad would be able to recruit well in this region? I keep using this example, but look at Lennon at SIU--a new geographical area can completely change whether a coach is perceived to be a good recruiter.