SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

OK, so most of these applications won't see Faison's garbage can; instead, they'll see the garbage can in UND HR because they didn't meet minimum requirements. ;)

Probably hit the garbage can in shredded form to protect any private information in the applications. It could be a pretty good size pile of shredded paper by next Tuesday at 5.

I think North Dakota ought to think about changing the law to allow an exception for job applications to remain confidential. I know I wouldn't apply for a job if I knew my name would appear in the newspaper, unless my boss at my current job knew I was looking and was okay with it, or the person hiring had already told me I have the job. I know it's expected for coaches to seek better jobs, but there might be a few highly qualified candidates that are thinking about a parallel move that won't apply because they don't want their current school to know they are looking/not happy in their current position. Anyone know how other states handle this? I live in Minnesota and don't recall the newspapers publishing everyone that applied for the head football coaching position at the University of Minnesota a few years ago. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Hopefully Faison is allowed under the law to talk to and interview people that have not formally applied. That way, maybe the applicants that are in a sensitive situation can place a telephone call and still explore the opportunity without their names being printed in a newspaper. But if that's the case, then what's the point of the law in the first place? Of the people that the A.D. is going to seriously consider, only the guy who is ultimately chosen is likely to formally apply. So people still aren't going to have a complete list of the people that were considered for the job, despite the open records laws. It seems to me that they ought to just cut the pretense and allow applications to remain confidential.

• Upvote 1

I think North Dakota ought to think about changing the law to allow an exception for job applications to remain confidential. I know I wouldn't apply for a job if I knew my name would appear in the newspaper, unless my boss at my current job knew I was looking and was okay with it, or the person hiring had already told me I have the job. I know it's expected for coaches to seek better jobs, but there might be a few highly qualified candidates that are thinking about a parallel move that won't apply because they don't want their current school to know they are looking/not happy in their current position. Anyone know how other states handle this? I live in Minnesota and don't recall the newspapers publishing everyone that applied for the head football coaching position at the University of Minnesota a few years ago. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Hopefully Faison is allowed under the law to talk to and interview people that have not formally applied. That way, maybe the applicants that are in a sensitive situation can place a telephone call and still explore the opportunity without their names being printed in a newspaper. But if that's the case, then what's the point of the law in the first place? Of the people that the A.D. is going to seriously consider, only the guy who is ultimately chosen is likely to formally apply. So people still aren't going to have a complete list of the people that were considered for the job, despite the open records laws. It seems to me that they ought to just cut the pretense and allow applications to remain confidential.

I would be flabbergasted to learn that Faison has not been talking to people interested in the job but that have yet to apply. There is not law against that. Many legit coaches these days have agents/lawyers representing them in this type of process, and conversations could be of the "what if this" "then that" type. For example, if BB is interested, his agent might be discussing possible salaries, incentives and commitments to long term viability of the program IF he were to app. These conversations happen all time. I mean the mere fact that Faison stated that UND was going to "conduct a national search for a new HFBC" tells us, or at a minimum, implies that UND is not only accepting applications, but also conducting its own search.

Phlugrad's application could very well have been a result of pre-app talks. Not saying a deal is done, but what he/his agent were told may have been enough for him to apply and see what happens. Faison might even have told him to apply to keep the process going.

My .02.

Oh, and btw, I knew who he was. I was just messing with you guys.

I think Plfu (copyright in advance to Dan Hammer) is the best candidate that's applied. Like most though, I think the best is yet to apply. Maybe beggars can't be choosers, but is anyone else worried about the postseason success of the offensive style he has. It hasn't had championship postseason success at any level.

Call me captain nitpicky. It would be fun to watch though, especially with Mollberg, McGill, GoGo, and Carr

I would be flabbergasted to learn that Faison has not been talking to people interested in the job but that have yet to apply. There is not law against that. Many legit coaches these days have agents/lawyers representing them in this type of process, and conversations could be of the "what if this" "then that" type. For example, if BB is interested, his agent might be discussing possible salaries, incentives and commitments to long term viability of the program IF he were to app. These conversations happen all time. I mean the mere fact that Faison stated that UND was going to "conduct a national search for a new HFBC" tells us, or at a minimum, implies that UND is not only accepting applications, but also conducting its own search.

I'm sure you're right. I'm sure people hiring high-profile positions have found ways around the open record laws, and for good reasons. I hope Faison is out there talking to people who are interested in the job, but don't want to formally apply unless they know they will get the job. But that process kind of defeats the purpose of the open records laws. But I guess the present system is working in the sense that people can feel good about themselves and the "openness" of their government, even it's largely just an illusion (in this case).

Bob Connelly:

http://www.utep.riva....asp?CID=774285

"Bob Connelly is the best offensive line coach in college football," UTEP coach Mike Price said. "I hired him at Washington State and he took us to the Rose Bowl, and I hired him at Alabama where he coached for four years before going to UCLA. He is very well respected."

Connelly was selected one of the nation's Top 25 recruiters by Rivals.com in 2005.

Unfortunately, our past experience with OL coaches becoming head coaches makes me wary of this one.

I'm sure you're right. I'm sure people hiring high-profile positions have found ways around the open record laws, and for good reasons. I hope Faison is out there talking to people who are interested in the job, but don't want to formally apply unless they know they will get the job. But that process kind of defeats the purpose of the open records laws. But I guess the present system is working in the sense that people can feel good about themselves and the "openness" of their government, even it's largely just an illusion (in this case).

His emails and phone records are public information too. So if someone really wanted to, they could request his phone records and find out who he's talked to.

Well, there is always the open records requests for emails that can be made once the hiring process is completed. I would guess that will come from someone, and will likely shed some light on what was happening behind the scenes. Like I have said, tho, there is nothing illegal or wrong about contacting potential candidates that you are interested in. In fact, I think the concept of due diligence dictates that Faison/his stagg do so for the sake of getting the best HFBC that UND can get.

I think Plfu (copyright in advance to Dan Hammer) is the best candidate that's applied. Like most though, I think the best is yet to apply. Maybe beggars can't be choosers, but is anyone else worried about the postseason success of the offensive style he has. It hasn't had championship postseason success at any level.

I have always also preferred a more balanced offense. Eastern Washington is the only example I can really think of that has won a National Title with an offense predicated on chucking it around as much as possible.

I have always also preferred a more balanced offense. Eastern Washington is the only example I can really think of that has won a National Title with an offense predicated on chucking it around as much as possible.

And that was only because the refs screwed ndsu over in that championship game. ndsu would've won that championship had they not called it a fumble when their guy fumbled the ball.

;)

And that was only because the refs screwed ndsu over in that championship game. ndsu would've won that championship had they not called it a fumble when their guy fumbled the ball.

;)

Never been more upset in my short life. I had that one buried deep...and you dug it up. Gonna be a bad day today.

I think Phlugrad has to be considered a serious candidate. The plus is that he has head coaching experience at the FCS level, no less with the Big Sky conference's premier team, with pretty good results, and was a positions coach at a BCS school prior to that. By all accounts, he is a good coach. The negatives are that he may not have great contacts in UND's primary recruiting area, and some question the fit of his offensive scheme to UND.

Is Bollinger, with only two years of BCS position coaching under his belt (and no college head coaching experience), preferable to the more-proven Phlugrad, due to his connection to the program and supposed recruiting ties to more traditional areas? It seems to me Bollinger would have to blow Faison away to be considered a better candidate than Phlugrad.

And, for me personally, his involvement in the NCAA issues at Montana was quite minimal to the point of being a non-factor. Maybe if he knew about the free legal advice (like the A.D. did), that might be different. But I don't think it was a fire-able offense that he didn't know it was an NCAA violation where a teammates' relative bailed a player out of jail and was re-paid. That seems like a President looking for an excuse to fire someone for public relations reasons.