SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

I heard the NHL might scrap the shoot out next season and go with a three-on-three sudden death OT instead. I would Love to see that! Frankly, I've been to two NCHC OT shoot outs this season (CC vs. DU and CC vs. Omaha) and I didn't find them all that exciting. Perhaps had CC won those games I might be singing a different tune but I find them rather anti-climatic.

I heard the NHL might scrap the shoot out next season and go with a three-on-three sudden death OT instead. I would Love to see that! Frankly, I've been to two NCHC OT shoot outs this season (CC vs. DU and CC vs. Omaha) and I didn't find them all that exciting. Perhaps had CC won those games I might be singing a different tune but I find them rather anti-climatic.

I heard that there was talk of going to a 10 minute overtime.

I heard that there was talk of going to a 10 minute overtime.

I think something along this line is true. One I idea I've seen floating around is they may split it to a 5 minute 4x4, followed by 5 minutes of 3x3, or something to that effect.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/lucic-supports-3-on-3-overtime-of-which-he-knows-all-about/

Just go back to 5 on 5 and let ties happen. The shoot-out is akin to MLB not playing extra innings and letting the game be decided by a home-run hitting contest.

But Hakstol says we should have shootouts because fans in Montreal, Quebec like them. :silly:

Seriously though, I agree with you on shootouts. I think 4X4 for 10 minutes would eliminate a lot of ties. And I think the skill players would love the chance to show off their talent.

I am actually not against shootouts, although I am not the biggest fan either (indifferent), however I am so confused why they didn't mimic the NHL and add a 4x4 OT period first. This would end a decent chunk of games before they get to the shootout.

Ok, got me there. I was trying to make a point that the shootout loss actually matters. You noted the game (thus that extra point) did not matter whatsoever.

I'm lost here. Ha ha. Seriously how could that point not matter in league play? Say one team is 7-3 for 21 points (3 for win). The other is 6-2-1 getting an extra point for the shoot win for 20 points. The last team is 6-2-1 shootout loss for 19 points. Am I off somewhere on this?