SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

From the pre-game notes, it seems as though he is good to go

TRAYLOR REGAINS ELIGIBILITY

Senior Alonzo Traylor had to sit out the second semester of last year’s schedule, but worked hard in the classroom to regain his eligibility for the 2013-14 season. Traylor was starting to come into his own after eight games of last season, but poor academic performance cost him the second half of his first season at UND. Traylor had a double-double in what was his final game of the season in the Big Sky opener at Southern Utah (Dec. 18). He averaged 7.1 ppg and 5.0 rpg in just over 16 minutes per game.

Not sure if he has some type of injury issue that kept him out of this one... but my impression is that he will be there and playing.

Can anybody comment on Traylor's situation? I entered this season assuming we'd have Brekke and Traylor. Apparently Brekke is done according to the info here. If Traylor is not going to be available as well, that changes expectations greatly.

One game suspension only. We will have Schuler and Traylor for the remainder of the games.

Per Wayne Nelson, NCAA has ruled that Stefan is eligible immediately.

That is great news - I understand his reputation as a great shooter is warranted. Another new dimension - a taller weapon from the o/s that should be able to shoot over the taller guards we will face.

So has anyone seen this Stefan play? How much will he contribute? Didn't look like he played a lot where he was before? Was there a reason for that? In other words how good is?

I am quite sure the following is correct - feel free to point it out if I have anything wrong!

He was very highly recruited out of HS and the sixth man on the LaSalle team that went quite a ways in the Dance a couple of years ago. He had some concussion issues and transferred to Green Bay to be closer to home. I am not sure what happened with him at GB last year but there was a coaching issue and five underclassmen left the team after the season.

Apparently he can "light it up". Hopefully, we will see this happen as early as Sunday!

This could be good news but dont get too excited yet. He has shot under 35% from three for his career and the most he has ever averaged is 4 pts/game. It's really a position (guard) we are already loaded at and does not help us one bit where we need help ( post). For him to get minutes then one or several of our other key players lose minutes. I believe it causes issues as well as potential answers.

Sioux2013....what are you talking about? What other "several key" players lose minutes? The Antwi's and Hobaugh's and Benton's of the world. Come on man! Why shouldn't we all get excited about someone that can contribute to us going to the dance.

Ive noticed that it is pretty hard for you to be optimistic about this team. Are you even a fan?

Sioux2013....what are you talking about? What other "several key" players lose minutes? The Antwi's and Hobaugh's and Benton's of the world. Come on man! Why shouldn't we all get excited about someone that can contribute to us going to the dance.

Ive noticed that it is pretty hard for you to be optimistic about this team. Are you even a fan?

First line. This could be good news. However until I see what he brings versus what we have I will wait to make full judgement. Everyone got overly excited the same way about slamonson and calcaterra and look where we r with them. Also I am a huge fan of the 5 seniors we have had since their freshmen year and don't want to see any of them not playing huge minutes cause they are the one that brought us this far . I go to every home game and watch almost every road game via internet . Don't think u can say the same cause u r always asking what's going on. So yes I am a huge fan.

sioux2013 makes a good point that we should probably temper our expectations until we actually see what Stefan can do on the court. Just because he was a highly rated recruit doesn't mean anything, as we see with Calcaterra being a 3-star by most sites. I don't remember people being overly excited about Salmonson ever though. He looked the best out of our posts at that scrimmage a while back but that wasn't saying much.

I think it helps having another shooter. Whether he can be more than just a zone buster remains to be seen.

With regard to the minutes of the seniors, if anything I think that class has been asked to play too many minutes their first three years due to the lack of depth the program had. That was one of the reasons I felt so strongly that Hooker should not red shirt. If Anderson and Webb had needed to play 34 minutes a game, I don't think that would have been a positive.

Former UND player, Josh Gentry is averaging 9.5 ppg with Cal State Fullerton. They crushed Montana State in their second game 84-55. I was pretty high on him when he came here but he and Antwi probably should have redshirted instead of playing right away.

Happy to hear that about Gentry. Will never forget his dancing and that huge smile in the middle of the huddle prior to each game starting. Has great athleticism but just came to UND at a tough time to crack the lineup with this current senior class.

Currently according to ESPN, UND is 4th in nation in PPG and FG percentage.

It's early, butI would not have guessed that before th e season when having to play UW and fu. And also our usual horrendous display from the free throw line which seems to have been corrected.