SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

I won't be putting a whole lot of stock into RPI ratings until the calendar turns but four of the five opponents on the upcoming road stretch are ranked ahead of us in ESPN's RPI.

#14 Butler

#23 Oregon

#33 Bowling Green

#44 Pacific

If we can knock off two of those teams along with a win over Cal Poly we could be very high in the RPI all season.

Nice e-mail sent out by UND athletics to encourage fans to come out to more games this year:

On behalf of UND Athletics and UND Basketball, thank you for coming to the UND-NDSU game yesterday. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the game and the amount talent on the court for not only UND but NDSU as well. It’s great for the state to have two really talented college basketball teams like that in North Dakota. We were happy to get the win and to have our guys showcase their talents on a big local/national stage like that.

Other than e-mailing to just say thanks for coming we wanted to send you information about some of our other big home games on the basketball schedule. As you saw last night our men’s team is very talented this year and so is our UND women’s team. We need our crowd to help us win the Big Sky Conference and hopefully make the NCAA Tournament in March for the first time in school history. I’ve included links for both the men’s and women’s schedules below and listed a few of the bigger upcoming games. We hope you can make it back to the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center for more exciting basketball this winter as your schedule permits.

UND Men’s Schedule

http://www.undsports...388&SPSID=58565

UND Women’s Schedule

http://www.undsports...389&SPSID=58571

Some upcoming big home games

Dec. 14th – NDSU (Women’s)

Dec. 21st – SDSU (Men’s)

Jan. 2nd – Southern Utah (Double Header & Big Sky Opener)

Jan 11th – Weber St. (Men’s & Top 2 teams in the Big Sky)

Come help us win the Big Sky!

Dexter Albrecht | Director of Ticket Sales & Promotions

University of North Dakota

Direct: 701-777-4582 Cell: 701-213-6838

dexter.k.albrecht@athletics.und.edu

• Upvote 1

If the Fans don't come it will be a shame. This team deserves to have a full house every night. Even against Presentation.

I agree completely I still don't see the fans showing up in large amounts this year unless we beat Oregon. I imagine they will show up for Weber State, SDSU and Montana though

would help if we could get some basketball recognition on the front page of siouxsports.com.......

Would be nice to be able to read the articles about yesterday's game on the front page of this site.

This offseason I was at a table with Troy Huff so I know he reads this website.

• Upvote 2

I agree completely I still don't see the fans showing up in large amounts this year unless we beat Oregon. I imagine they will show up for Weber State, SDSU and Montana though

Here's some news that may get the fill the seats juices flowing.

I believe Oregon is the only Top 25 team playing on Saturday. Oregon vs. UND becomes the most interesting game of the day by default.

If they compete and they will. Sportscenter highlights and more than a simple score recap with a couple of Ducks baskets before wrapping up with the NHL.

Could be analysts talking about the surprising North Dakota team. Jay Bilas or Bobby Knight may be scrambling to find out who they are surprised with.

It's gonna be a great year. This NDSU win was nothing! We will barely remember it in January.

• Upvote 1

Here's some news that may get the fill the seats juices flowing.

I believe Oregon is the only Top 25 team playing on Saturday. Oregon vs. UND becomes the most interesting game of the day by default.

If they compete and they will. Sportscenter highlights and more than a simple score recap with a couple of Ducks baskets before wrapping up with the NHL.

Could be analysts talking about the surprising North Dakota team. Jay Bilas or Bobby Knight may be scrambling to find out who they are surprised with.

It's gonna be a great year. This NDSU win was nothing! We will barely remember it in January.

Just looked it up and that is in fact true. Good catch newman!

I have watched Butler play a couple of times on TV and even though they are not ranked they should be. They are solid at every position and play together extremely well. On their home court this game could get ugly for us unless we take good shots and are hitting our shots. Outside Montana and Weber this will be our last extremely tough road game. We still have a good shot at finishing our non league schedule at 5-5 and with the competition we have face I'd say that would be very good. In fact, it will be the best I believe Jones has had in the D1 era. I expect us to go around 13-5 to 14-4 in league play this year from last years 10-8 record.

Big Sky Basketball Blog

North Dakota has played a tough schedule, the fact that they sit at 2-6 is not really the issue here. The issue is that they haven't even been all that close to winning a game in the last few weeks, and that their defense resembles a sieve at the moment. That can change - they literally have the talent to win the Big Sky - but they need to find some answers before the start of conference play.

His blog hit the nail right on the head on several issues. First we have no offensive or defensive presence from our post players. They seem totally lost on offense and defense and do not know how to box out. The only player that boxes his *ss off is Schuler and he is about 6" too short down low. Next he mentioned ball movement which in most of our offensive sets when one or several players get the ball there is no longer any movement except to the rim with 2-3 guys guarding that player. With the lack of anything from our post players Jones needs to go with the small team cause in the Big Sky we won't face the size we have so far this year and the 4 guard offense should work just fine cause we have the players and talent to play with anybody in the Big Sky. The outside shooting woes should disappear with Anderson, Stefen and Schuler hopefully taking most of the outside shots. To date we have played the 7th toughest schedule in the nation and have been very competitive for 2/3 of most of the games we just have 4-5 minute lapses in each that destroy us, fix these and we were in every game with no post play.

South Dakota State is up 18 on Belmont who a few weeks ago beat North Carolina in North Carolina. Belmont is a very good team who has many big wins over the past few years. Thought the game next week against South Dakota State would be kinda easy but they must be putting things together after a slow start.