SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

So here is what I think of every player so far this season:

Huff - Mostly what we expected, great scorer and has a knack to find rebounds even against bigger guys. Forces things way too often and takes a lot of bad shots and doesn't dish the ball and I know he can be a great passer if he wants to be . Overall Grade: C+

Anderson - Great shooter and very smart with the ball but I think he has adapted to some of his teammates and has attempted to force things and play out of his game. Very disappointing to me this season, Overall Grade: C

Webb - I cringe everytime he shoots but he always seems to hit big shots. Has a nice touch around the rim and a solid defender. Wish he was a better passer but he is alright. Overall Grade: C+

Nash - Very athletic, can hit the occasional 3, not strong enough to guard bigs down low but athletic enough. Like everyone else he forces things that aren't necessary. Overall Grade: B

Hooker - Not nearly as good as advertised, yet. Good finisher around the rim but I haven't seen him do much with perimeter shooting. Not a true PG. Overall Grade: C+

Schuler - Should be playing as a 2 but hasn't been. Cannot guard the bigs, does a fine job against guards. Great shooter and smart player. He has a nice little runner too! Overall Grade: A

Calcaterra - Provides some height down low and that's about it. Overall Grade: D

Traylor - Has some good post moves but never passes the ball if he touches it. Always in foul trouble or hurt. Overall Grade: D+

Salmonson - See Calcaterra, Overall Grade: D

Stefan - Good shooter and seems smart with the ball from what I have seen. Needs more minutes! Overall Grade: B

Antwi - Can hit the 3 and is fast! Surprised at the lack of minutes. Overall Grade: C-

Benton - Asked to guard much bigger opponents and he does a good job. Does not provide any offense though. Overall Grade: C

Hobaugh - Rarely plays. Overall Grade: Incomplete

Thomas - Rarely plays. Overall Grade: Incomplete

Not the best summary of every player but I was bored and just thought I would start something. I am really disappointed in this team so far as I am sure many of you are.

Huff is what he is, and that is a great scorer. And he's been pretty efficient at it. He's among the nation's leaders in scoring and shooting 49% overall and over 70% from the line. Among the conference leaders in rebounding as a guard. Wish he'd take less 3 pointers because he's not shooting from the arc as good as he did last year. Grade: A

Anderson is off to a slow start. Struggling uncharacteristically from the FT line. Among the nation's leaders in 3 point shooting. With his diminutive stature, he's more apt to really struggle in the non-conference season against bigger stronger teams. Hopefully he gets going in Big Sky play. Grade: C

Webb is a great passer and a great defender. Not a great shooter, but is pretty good at finishing when he gets around the rim. Has knack for scoring in key situations. Continues to be a rotten FT shooter as he has his entire career. Grade: B

Agree on Nash. Terrible FT shooter. Grade B

Hooker seems to have lots of talent there, and will only get better with time. Has a nice frame, strong kid. Not shooting well. Grade: C

Schuler is the smartest player on the team. Not shooting the ball well at all. Hampered by injuries. He needs to start knocking down jump shots. Grade: C

I think Calcaterra has been a nice addition. He is great without the basketball. He knows his role, does what's asked of him, and doesn't try to do too much. Shown the ability to knock down the 12 footers. Grade: B

Trayler is probably the biggest disappointment to me. Last year he showed decent offensive low post skills. So far he hasn't been able to finish, is a terrible FT shooter, and a questionable defender. Grade: D

With the injury, I haven't seen enough of Salmonson. Seems like a depth guy. Grade: D

I haven't noticed that Stefan is a good shooter. Depth guy. Grade: D

Lenny likes to chuckthepigskin. He is what he is. Grade: C

Benton is a gritty blue collar player. Decent defender and strong kid. I kind of cringe when he drives to the basket. He does what's asked of him pretty well. Grade: B

Overall, I give this team's performance thus far a D. Several things need to change if they are realistically going to be a factor in the Big Sky tourney.

I agree shooters need to get into the flow of the game but with this team our shooters don't get the ball to shoot when they r open. Our shooters like stefen and schuler will never get the shots they need. Hasn't happened with this group of players and don't see it changing.

I agree shooters need to get into the flow of the game but with this team our shooters don't get the ball to shoot when they r open. Our shooters like stefen and schuler will never get the shots they need. Hasn't happened with this group of players and don't see it changing.

I think with more opportunities you will notice that Stefan is a good shooter. Shooters need to be able to get into the flow of the game.

any minutes that benton gets over stefan is a waste...i know benton is playing out of position but stefan is a guy that can shoot the ball (and quicker than shuler) when they reverse the ball when playing against zone d's...

any minutes that benton gets over stefan is a waste...i know benton is playing out of position but stefan is a guy that can shoot the ball (and quicker than shuler) when they reverse the ball when playing against zone d's...

Benton isn't in the game for what he brings to the table on offense.

Big Sky Basketball Blog Power Rankings

8. North Dakota (1-1) - There is not a good way to say - North Dakota is not a good basketball team right now. They were never really in the game against UNC, and struggled to beat Southern Utah at home. As has been documented, once you get past their pressure defense, the help on the interior is just not there, which is why opponents shoot nearly 58% on twos against them. The flow in the half-court game has not been there either, as they are struggling to get consistent outside shooting, which really opens driving lanes for their guys. There is still plenty of talent, but they have some things they need to work out.

I think the defensive presence of both Wilmer and Archer are sorely missed so far this season.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Wilmer and Archer always stepped in and nobody got an easy layup. Wilmer especially last year was very physical underneath and we do not have any of that this year. Once an opposing guard penetrates nobody steps in for help defense. This article nailed most everything we are having extreme trouble with and it should have added that the players are very selfish and not team oriented.

I think the defensive presence of both Wilmer and Archer are sorely missed so far this season.

It's a bit perplexing that a program can go five years between signing a 4 or 5 out of high school. We have one coming in next year, and that will be the first since Brekke. I get that sometimes transfers are necessary, but I have a hard time believing there wasn't another project coming out of high school in the past three or four years that UND could have taken a chance on.

Look at our roster, not including Brekke 12 of our players are guards. I'm including nash in this total cause he played a guard position at Texas Tech and plays like a guard. This leaves Traylor, Salmonson and Calcaterra for the 4/5 positions. No wonder teams are shooting such a high percentage against us down low. However, we continue to recruit guards instead of guys 6'8" with size to them. I would rather see this 6'8" guy that is physical and throws his weight around and boxes out than a 6'10" guy that is weak. Next year appears to be no different than this year with the exception that we lose 70+ % of our scoring. Not sure what is coming in next year but we appear to have many scholarships to offer.

You would think that with 6'11" coach that you would be able to recruit bigs and develop them. Next year we have Bryce Cashman coming in, he is 6'10" and 225 right now. The following year I am thinking that Kyle McKinley from Stillwater will also be coming in. He is another 6'10" kid so hopefully we can develop them. I am hoping that we get 6'9" Ngor Barnaba this year too. Just looking ahead to next year what do you guys think our starting lineup will be? My guess would be:

1 - Tyler

2 - Hooker

3 - Stefan

4 - Calcaterra

5 - Salmonson

What do you guys think of that? Definitely do not like the bigs!

You would think that with 6'11" coach that you would be able to recruit bigs and develop them. Next year we have Bryce Cashman coming in, he is 6'10" and 225 right now. The following year I am thinking that Kyle McKinley from Stillwater will also be coming in. He is another 6'10" kid so hopefully we can develop them. I am hoping that we get 6'9" Ngor Barnaba this year too. Just looking ahead to next year what do you guys think our starting lineup will be? My guess would be:

1 - Tyler

2 - Hooker

3 - Stefan

4 - Calcaterra

5 - Salmonson

I think the 1,2 and 3 are correct and hope the 4/5 are not. It's really not a good lineup at all cause Tyler is the only proven scorer in this lineup, Hooker has not shown he can shoot very well from outside and honestly with his side rotation I don't like his shot. That lineup has a career scoring average of about 25 points per game. Boy I hope something better comes to UND before next year.

1 - Tyler

2 - Hooker

3 - Stefan

4 - Calcaterra

5 - Salmonson

Opportunity there for a 4 to come in and play. I forget about Tyler. He'll be a solid addition next year.

Our coaching staff should make the players all watch Aaron Craft play. Probably not the most talented player out there but the effort that he puts in on every play is unbelievable. Those are the type of kids that I would like to have here.

What are you talking about? According to some on here, our team's effort has been amazing and everything is fine. SUU was a solid squad.

• 3 weeks later...