SiouxSports.com Forum

Best College Towns

GeauxSioux

In answer to the question Fargo vs. Grand Forks as a college town. Grand Forks has UND and life in Grand Forks revolves around UND.

Fargo/Moorhead has FU, Moorhead and Concordia. There a lot more college kids there than GF.

Loyalty-wise, I think Grand Forks beats the pants off Fargo. Whenever I go back to GF I am amazed at how many people wear UND garb as their wardrobe.

And you also have the loyal UND fans living in Fargo. That stream of cars on I-29 on Friday and Saturday nights in the winter.

Grand Forks is UND and UND is Grand Forks. FU may be in Fargo, but Fargo is not FU.

Do ya think so? Is there more to do down there and stuff - tell us more.

Don't you mean "Los Tenedores Grandes"?

Anyhoo, I think it's all relative. If you like a small city or large town, Grand Forks is pretty good. A city, the Twin Cities are pretty nice.

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado...they made the list too. (They always do on these lists) It's got a lot going for it, but for some people, even at a size well over 250,000 in surrounding area, it's too small. To me, it's almost too big.

Besides Professional sports, cities like Fargo, Grand Forks, St.Cloud, etc have pretty much the same activiies that Minneapolis has, just not the quantity. If you would move these cities to Minneapolis / St. Paul they would be your typical suberb there. People in the twin cities don't realize that if Fargo was 75ft to the east (approx. width of the red river) it would be in Minnesota thus making it the 3rd largest city in the state.

there are some pretty solid college towns on that list, and both schools and cities should be on the list and thrilled about it. I think 5 years ago Grand Forks likely would have and should have been above Fargo. The school and city did a lot to curb the party school rep, and all in all I think it made Grand Forks a worse place to be a student. Noise Ordinance, Spring Fest crackdown, zoning issues, voting issues.

UND and it's campus>>>NDSU

Fargo the city>>>GF

Agreed 1000 percent. I think if UND had an on campus football stadium it'd almost be the perfect university setup.

When comparing towns though it isn't close. Go to Grand Forks in the summer and fargo in the summer.

PS: Minneapolis....hah....so I can walk by the homeless crackheads on my way to a play.....yeah....

in population...yes. As far as being a "college town"...Minot is nowhere near being one.

There are more UND fans in Minot than there are Beaver fans. I know, I live here. All of the people in town are UND fans, and all of the people in the "suburbs" for lack of a better term (Surrey, Velva, Des Lacs, Burlington) are FU fans.

Found Grand Forks on a couple of lists on best college towns...

#2 on this list... http://www.housingwi...-real-estate-in

and #17 on this list.... AIER Names 75 Best College Towns and Cities for 2012-2013

CDImsatables-2.jpg

I'd have to say both Fargo and Grand Forks are in pretty good company by looking at the list of college towns cited in the AIER survey. Having lived in both Grand Forks and Fargo, my reaction is that it's pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. Being larger, Fargo has more options in certain areas, but out here on the Plains we are used to driving two or three hours to satisfy some of those options. Years ago I drove right past NDSU on the way to Grand Forks because at least in part none of the Fargo-Moorhead colleges and/or universities had the major I was looking for. UND did, and I'm most grateful for it. UND prepared me very well for graduate school at another Midwestern university. Again, I am most grateful. I am not going to knock NDSU. Several members of my family have attended and graduated from NDSU. All in all, the high school academic backgrounds of students enrolling at North Dakota's two pre-eminent universities, I believe, is so close that there is virtually no difference. Since the student body itself is perhaps the largest determining factor in how good an education one gets at any given school, I think one can be proud of both universities equally. Statistically, I can't see any one of the schools having overall bragging rights. They're both outstanding universities and will likely continue to be so. I do think, however, UND has a slightly better overall college atmosphere for what it's worth. That, too, is probably negligible.

There are more UND fans in Minot than there are Beaver fans. I know, I live here. All of the people in town are UND fans, and all of the people in the "suburbs" for lack of a better term (Surrey, Velva, Des Lacs, Burlington) are FU fans.

I live in Minot as well and grew up just north of here. The reason that I say that is because the town revolves around the air base and not MSU. The only time everyone seems to get excited about MSU is around homecoming.

I'd have to say both Fargo and Grand Forks are in pretty good company by looking at the list of college towns cited in the AIER survey. Having lived in both Grand Forks and Fargo, my reaction is that it's pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. Being larger, Fargo has more options in certain areas, but out here on the Plains we are used to driving two or three hours to satisfy some of those options. ... I do think, however, UND has a slightly better overall college atmosphere for what it's worth. ...

I agree with those excerpts.

For my money, Denver has anything in North Dakota, South Dakota or Minnesota beat for quality of life, amenities and "things to do". Putting that aside, I think we have a pretty good life in the Red River Valley of the North (Grand Forks, Fargo and every point in between).

To me, Denver is too big. Living an hour north of Denver, I have to admit it's nice to have access to "city" stuff. The museums, major league sports,shopping, etc... I prefer front range towns like Loveland, Longmont, Fort Collins to Denver. Access to the mountains is better north of Denver IMHO.

For my money, Denver has anything in North Dakota, South Dakota or Minnesota beat for quality of life, amenities and "things to do". Putting that aside, I think we have a pretty good life in the Red River Valley of the North (Grand Forks, Fargo and every point in between).

Absolutely...other than that the one thing I have noticed is people in Denver seem to lack common sense; at least not the level we were brought up with in the upper midwest.

To me, Denver is too big. Living an hour north of Denver, I have to admit it's nice to have access to "city" stuff. The museums, major league sports,shopping, etc... I prefer front range towns like Loveland, Longmont, Fort Collins to Denver. Access to the mountains is better north of Denver IMHO.

I got out of Denver and up to the mountains. Still have access to the city and essentially go against traffic on I-70 so that's nice. Only an extremely high paying job would get me to move back to the city though.

I got out of Denver and up to the mountains. Still have access to the city and essentially go against traffic on I-70 so that's nice. Only an extremely high paying job would get me to move back to the city though.

I hear you. I worked in Denver for about a year...commuted. Never had a desire to move there and found other employment in Northern Colorado.

I know we're off topic here, but if I could spend 1/2 of the year in the mountains...(Not winter...God no!)...it would be in the Granby/Grand Lake area. That is easily my favorite place to go in the summer here in Colorado.

• Upvote 1