SiouxSports.com Forum

TV Coverage

bincitysioux

http://blogs.midcosp...igh-definition/

In addition to Midcontinent Communications, cable viewers can watch Midco Sports Network programming on these affiliates:

• Alliance Communications
  • Cable Service Inc.
  • Dakota Central Telecommunications
  • Golden West Telecommunications
  • Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative
  • James Valley Telecommunications
  • Midstate Communications
  • MLGC, LLC
  • Northwest Communications Cooperative
  • North Dakota Telephone Company
  • Polar Communications
  • Reservation Telephone Cooperative
  • Sjoberg’s Cable
  • SRT Communications
  • Swiftel Communications
  • Trio Tel Communications, Inc.
  • United Communications
  • Valley Telecommunications Cooperative
  • Venture Communications
  • Western Telephone Company

I have heard from representatives of some cable companies that Midcontinent is being very difficult to work with for companies that they are competing against or plan to compete against in the near future.

As they should be. You think CableOne is really easy to work with? If I was Midco I would play hardball with them too, Midco is the one that ponied up all the money to broadcast the games. They sure as hell are not going to give it to their biggest competitor in the state's largest metro area.

As they should be. You think CableOne is really easy to work with? If I was Midco I would play hardball with them too, Midco is the one that ponied up all the money to broadcast the games. They sure as hell are not going to give it to their biggest competitor in the state's largest metro area.

Mid continent is available in West Fargo, Moorhead, and Dilworth so basically the FM Metro...EXCEPT Fargo. A lot of people including me would switch in a heartbeat. Cable One sucks!!! As long as there is Big Sky TV and Fox College Sports I will see UND!!

Previously in this thread I shared some information to get discounts from DirecTV. They gave me an awesome deal to stick around but today I realized that they cancelled my sports pack ($12.99 / month). So I called today and explained that I stuck around to keep my original package I was paying for and they agreed to give me the sports pack for $2.99 / month for three months. She even said to call back after three months to get the discount again.

Previously in this thread I shared some information to get discounts from DirecTV. They gave me an awesome deal to stick around but today I realized that they cancelled my sports pack ($12.99 / month). So I called today and explained that I stuck around to keep my original package I was paying for and they agreed to give me the sports pack for $2.99 / month for three months. She even said to call back after three months to get the discount again.

Sounds like you got hosed.

I wasn't talking about Cable One. Anyways, I thought I remembered Midco saying they weren't going to screw everyone over by charging way more than UND did for the games, but apparently they lied.

Mid continent is available in West Fargo, Moorhead, and Dilworth so basically the FM Metro...EXCEPT Fargo. A lot of people including me would switch in a heartbeat. Cable One sucks!!! As long as there is Big Sky TV and Fox College Sports I will see UND!!

If/when you get Midcontinent you'll see that they're not really better than Cable One. Sure they'll give you a nice, cheap introductory rate to get you to sign up, but after a year you'll be paying double that.

I wasn't talking about Cable One. Anyways, I thought I remembered Midco saying they weren't going to screw everyone over by charging way more than UND did for the games, but apparently they lied.

If/when you get Midcontinent you'll see that they're not really better than Cable One. Sure they'll give you a nice, cheap introductory rate to get you to sign up, but after a year you'll be paying double that.

Midcontinent is using their sports channel and UND sports to build their business. It only makes sense that they play some hard ball against other cable companies if they are in competition for the same customers. As a business, why would they give their competitors the carrot they created to attract new customers? They aren't going to give it away to a competitor. But they are willing to sell it to those competitors. Midcontinent's main goal in this process is to build their business, not to provide cheap TV coverage for UND.

Midcontinent is using their sports channel and UND sports to build their business. It only makes sense that they play some hard ball against other cable companies if they are in competition for the same customers. As a business, why would they give their competitors the carrot they created to attract new customers? They aren't going to give it away to a competitor. But they are willing to sell it to those competitors. Midcontinent's main goal in this process is to build their business, not to provide cheap TV coverage for UND.

I don't disagree with that. I just felt the need to point out that UND and Midco lied when they tried to reassure everybody that they'd still get to watch the games. Also, although I wasn't originally talking about Cable One, are Cable One and Midco competing against each other right now for any customers?

I don't disagree with that. I just felt the need to point out that UND and Midco lied when they tried to reassure everybody that they'd still get to watch the games. Also, although I wasn't originally talking about Cable One, are Cable One and Midco competing against each other right now for any customers?

In the newer parts of West Fargo, which there are a lot of, they are both there along with Century Link for internet. Its a free-for-all.

They didn't lie to anyone. They said that they would make the games available to other systems. They never promised to GIVE the games to other systems. Some systems don't want to pay the price that Midcontinent is asking. And they never promised that everyone would be able to see the games. They promised to work hard to give as many people as possible a chance to see the games. From what I have seen, they have tried to work with other cable systems and continue to try to work with them. That can be seen by the list of other systems that are showing games.

As is mentioned above, Cable One and Midcontinent do compete in some areas. I believe that Midcontinent also plans to move into Fargo itself, probably whenever Cable One's exclusive contract with Fargo is done. Cable One didn't like showing the games when they were being done by WDAZ-Midcontinent-UND together, they aren't going to do anything that will help Midcontinent.

They didn't lie to anyone. They said that they would make the games available to other systems. They never promised to GIVE the games to other systems. Some systems don't want to pay the price that Midcontinent is asking. And they never promised that everyone would be able to see the games. They promised to work hard to give as many people as possible a chance to see the games. From what I have seen, they have tried to work with other cable systems and continue to try to work with them. That can be seen by the list of other systems that are showing games.

As is mentioned above, Cable One and Midcontinent do compete in some areas. I believe that Midcontinent also plans to move into Fargo itself, probably whenever Cable One's exclusive contract with Fargo is done. Cable One didn't like showing the games when they were being done by WDAZ-Midcontinent-UND together, they aren't going to do anything that will help Midcontinent.

I heard through the grapevine that Midcontinent is moving into Fargo (whenever that happens), but since there is no real hurry (meaning a total cable monopoly for Fargo = $$$$) they will provide us Fargoians with Fox College Sports and all those Bison games on KVLY (PUKE).

So that basically means that the average working stiff sitting at home is screwed (as usual)? Only in modern-day, corporate-controlled America is that considered "good business sense". Kindergarten teaches us that you can't always get everything you want all the time. TV executives apparently have forgotten those lessons and are acting like spoiled brats. Meet in the middle, work out a freaking contract and get on with life. The easiest way to alienate your customers (or potential customers) is to use them as human shields in a contract dispute. People don't easily forget stuff like that. Being on the business end of karma isn't much fun.

It's times like these that I am glad I live in Grand Forks and have tickets to all these games.

So that basically means that the average working stiff sitting at home is screwed (as usual)? Only in modern-day, corporate-controlled America is that considered "good business sense". Kindergarten teaches us that you can't always get everything you want all the time. TV executives apparently have forgotten those lessons and are acting like spoiled brats. Meet in the middle, work out a freaking contract and get on with life. The easiest way to alienate your customers (or potential customers) is to use them as human shields in a contract dispute. People don't easily forget stuff like that. Being on the business end of karma isn't much fun.

It's times like these that I am glad I live in Grand Forks and have tickets to all these games.

Let us know how things are when you move to NeverNeverLand. You say that you can't always get everything you want all the time, yet you complain because you aren't getting what you want. Companies like Cable One don't want to show something that is going to promote Midcontinent, so they aren't going to negotiate a "fair contract". And Midcontinent isn't paying $200,000 to UND per year plus all of the other costs involved in broadcasting games just so that they can help their competitors.
  • Upvote 1