SiouxSports.com Forum

TV Coverage

bincitysioux

I was told by Midco this summer, that they have no intention of putting Midco Sports Network on DirecTV. Their quote was, we want to market the product to our users in the regional area. I told the person on the phone that you don't realize the shortsightedness of that comment. So, I going to doubt that...

Midco is a business and they have made it clear that if it will make them money they will do it. From getting rid of their satellite trucks and using fibre, to requiring their affiliates to pick up their channel full time in order to offer und sports. If midco can make money by getting their channel on dish/direct, I'm sure they'll do it. But they also want to hold an edge over dish/direct in their market where they offer cable service. Personally I wish they could get midco sn added to one of the satellite companies so I'd finally have access to und sports on the tv myself.

This was a month and a half go. This person I talked to, didn't seem to grasp the concept that probably up about half of UND's fan base "isn't" in the regional area. I know what your saying though. There's going crap storm in about a month and a half when UND's fans cant watch the home games on the FCS or on DirecTV.

I feel bad for Jayson and Schlossman. They already deal with enough crap from idiotic "fans," I can't imagine the incessant whining once the season starts.

• Upvote 2

This was a month and a half go. This person I talked to, didn't seem to grasp the concept that probably up about half of UND's fan base "isn't" in the regional area. I know what your saying though. There's going crap storm in about a month and a half when UND's fans cant watch the home games on the FCS or on DirecTV.

I've been told by several Midco people that they are interested in Direct and/or Dish. They also talked about trying to get on Twin Cities cable systems. These people all realized that there are UND alumni spread around the country, and that they are interested in UND sports.

Midco is a business and they have made it clear that if it will make them money they will do it. From getting rid of their satellite trucks and using fibre, to requiring their affiliates to pick up their channel full time in order to offer und sports. If midco can make money by getting their channel on dish/direct, I'm sure they'll do it. But they also want to hold an edge over dish/direct in their market where they offer cable service. Personally I wish they could get midco sn added to one of the satellite companies so I'd finally have access to und sports on the tv myself.

If they get paid a small amount for every subscriber on Dish and/or Direct, that would probably add up to a lot more than the number of subscribers it may cost them in their cable systems. They want to build their cable systems first and foremost, but getting on national systems would be very good for their business.

If they get paid a small amount for every subscriber on Dish and/or Direct, that would probably add up to a lot more than the number of subscribers it may cost them in their cable systems. They want to build their cable systems first and foremost, but getting on national systems would be very good for their business.

I'd be very happy if they could get their channel on one of them. But the midcosn's sporting season has already began so I won't hold my breathe.

I feel bad for Jayson and Schlossman. They already deal with enough crap from idiotic "fans," I can't imagine the incessant whining once the season starts.

Well I hope they do not "whine" to Schlossman, but I do hope that they "whine" to Jayson. Your comment regarding my post earlier that basically nothing is anyone at UND'S fault is quite laughable. UND did set up the streaming system and could have dealt with the issues while everyone was "whining" for over two years now. As far as the NCHC and the TV coverage, UND does have enough power to have stated that any game not being telecast by CBSSN they have the rights to. By the way, CBSSN does not just cover the NCHC as they have a game involving Wisconsin on the network as well. Why did the NCHC folks think that was OK? This is a terrible reduction in coverage for those fans across the country and it will effect recruiting. That is actually what I am worried about long term, since I do know how to connect a computer to a television. I actually commented favorably regarding the Big Sky streaming setup in that it "was" very good last year. I have only caught a little this year and it was OK. Far superior to what UND offers right now through the paid coverage on UND Sports. For those that do not remember, back in the early 80's all of UND's home games were on PBS. Coverage equals recruiting and this is going to hurt badly. As I stated, I hope things do get fixed but if they do not there should be a fan uprising that lets folks know what is wrong. People have a right to speak up without being called an idiot.

Well I hope they do not "whine" to Schlossman, but I do hope that they "whine" to Jayson. Your comment regarding my post earlier that basically nothing is anyone at UND'S fault is quite laughable. UND did set up the streaming system and could have dealt with the issues while everyone was "whining" for over two years now. As far as the NCHC and the TV coverage, UND does have enough power to have stated that any game not being telecast by CBSSN they have the rights to. By the way, CBSSN does not just cover the NCHC as they have a game involving Wisconsin on the network as well. Why did the NCHC folks think that was OK? This is a terrible reduction in coverage for those fans across the country and it will effect recruiting. That is actually what I am worried about long term, since I do know how to connect a computer to a television. I actually commented favorably regarding the Big Sky streaming setup in that it "was" very good last year. I have only caught a little this year and it was OK. Far superior to what UND offers right now through the paid coverage on UND Sports. For those that do not remember, back in the early 80's all of UND's home games were on PBS. Coverage equals recruiting and this is going to hurt badly. As I stated, I hope things do get fixed but if they do not there should be a fan uprising that lets folks know what is wrong. People have a right to speak up without being called an idiot.

UND hockey games were on PBS in North Dakota. None of the other sports were broadcast, and the coverage was only broadcast to people that were able to receive Prairie Public Broadcasting. That was mainly in North Dakota, and in the area close to North Dakota. I don't think that UND hockey games being broadcast on Prairie Public was a significant factor in recruiting.

UND hockey games were on PBS in North Dakota. None of the other sports were broadcast, and the coverage was only broadcast to people that were able to receive Prairie Public Broadcasting. That was mainly in North Dakota, and in the area close to North Dakota. I don't think that UND hockey games being broadcast on Prairie Public was a significant factor in recruiting.

Times have really changed though. How many college hockey teams in the 80's could be seen nationwide? Currently there's a good chunk of nd residents that cannot get und hockey. Not everyone has access to high speed Internet with a data allowance capable of streaming. Where midco cable is not available, midcosn being a available in someone's home is hit or miss. And many people's only option for television service is ota antenna and or satellite service which currently leaves you with the option for 6 hockey games this year at best. If und hockey was available on PBS this year, games would be on in every nd home.

And I apologize in advance if my posts are incessant or idiotic. Just when people's options for viewing und sports have diminished....don't expect them to be happy about it.

Times have really changed though. How many college hockey teams in the 80's could be seen nationwide? Currently there's a good chunk of nd residents that cannot get und hockey. Not everyone has access to high speed Internet with a data allowance capable of streaming. Where midco cable is not available, midcosn being a available in someone's home is hit or miss. And many people's only option for television service is ota antenna and or satellite service which currently leaves you with the option for 6 hockey games this year at best. If und hockey was available on PBS this year, games would be on in every nd home.

And I apologize in advance if my posts are incessant or idiotic. Just when people's options for viewing und sports have diminished....don't expect them to be happy about it.

Not everyone got PBS in the 80's. Not everyone can get PBS now. There is no perfect answer. TV rights and coverage is continually changing. What exists now is not what will exist later this season, and isn't what will exist next year. We get it, you used to get UND hockey games on FTA, now you can't get them. This contract, with Midco purchasing the TV rights and broadcasting games, was the best option available to UND when the contract was signed. Which means it was the best option overall for the UND athletic department. The UND staff is trying to do what is best for the athletic department. That may not be what is best for some individuals. But having the same conversation over and over again for the entire 5 years of the contract isn't going to change that.

Not everyone got PBS in the 80's. Not everyone can get PBS now. There is no perfect answer. TV rights and coverage is continually changing. What exists now is not what will exist later this season, and isn't what will exist next year. We get it, you used to get UND hockey games on FTA, now you can't get them. This contract, with Midco purchasing the TV rights and broadcasting games, was the best option available to UND when the contract was signed. Which means it was the best option overall for the UND athletic department. The UND staff is trying to do what is best for the athletic department. That may not be what is best for some individuals. But having the same conversation over and over again for the entire 5 years of the contract isn't going to change that.

It's not just those that had Fta that will be without. There are those with cable companies other than midco which may or may not have the channel (including cbssn), and there are those homes with no suitable high speed Internet connection. And local prairie public is offered by both satellite providers, pretty much any cable company in nd, and if you have a hd tv with a $10 set of rabbit ears you will find yourself numerous options for prairie public television. Heck from grand forks this is how many watch the bemidji games. I hope you are right and more options will be a available soon for viewing und sports. I also get it that the tv situation is a situation you hold close to your heart as you defend it. This isn't a conversation I plan on having for the next 5 years. What I'd be more concerned with is for those that will not have access for und sports to be lost and forgotten over time. How many this weekend watched the ndsu game over the und game because it was what was available to them?

Really, everyone who had a TV in the 80's when UND hockey was on PBS could watch it when they wanted. Due to signal strength it was available everywhere in ND, in southern Alberta (including Winnipeg), southern Saskatchewan and eastern Minnesota. My point regarding PBS was the number of viewers was greater than than it is now due to that fact. I am not saying PBS was, or is, the answer but just that coverage has varied through the years and is far worse now. I am sure that did help recruiting in the area, but at that time you could watch Sioux hockey in a greater area than the other division one schools, so it may have. The conversation will continue if things do not get better. To sacrifice hockey for the rest of the sports I do not think was in the best interest of the school. There was no reason the best division one hockey program, and most followed, should have this done to them. At least they could have upgraded the streaming capabilities in all the time that they have had and known this was going to happen. Again, I hope in a month I will see that I am wrong, but with their current system I doubt that.

But having the same conversation over and over again for the entire 5 years of the contract isn't going to change that.

The same conversation will probably happen, probably from other fans. What I'd expect is you'll be here to argue about anything, including this, for more than the next 5 years. And if you don't believe FTA reaches many new Sioux fans, how about potential recruits (and their parents), for all sports, outside the midco coverage area.

An HD program or channel that is shown on a SD broadcast channel will have black space above and below the picture. The HD picture is a different aspect ratio (size) than SD. As southpaw said, almost all of the Fox College Sports channels are SD. You aren't going to get HD quality on a SD broadcast channel. You won't see any of the UND games in HD while watching FCS, unless they decide to put one on an HD channel. If there were other technical problems, I would guess at least some of them may have been caused by the first time using the new equipment.

Thanks.

To sacrifice hockey for the rest of the sports I do not think was in the best interest of the school. There was no reason the best division one hockey program, and most followed, should have this done to them.

What was done to the hockey program for the good of the rest of the sports?

• Upvote 2

An HD program or channel that is shown on a SD broadcast channel will have black space above and below the picture. The HD picture is a different aspect ratio (size) than SD. As southpaw said, almost all of the Fox College Sports channels are SD. You aren't going to get HD quality on a SD broadcast channel. You won't see any of the UND games in HD while watching FCS, unless they decide to put one on an HD channel. If there were other technical problems, I would guess at least some of them may have been caused by the first time using the new equipment.

What stinks is FCS has an HD channel on Directv, 623 HD. There are two 623 channels and they uplinked to the SD channel for some reason. The other one was not being used, IIRC.

The fact that people in Fargo, the largest city in North Dakota, can't watch UND games in their homes is unforgivable. As for the misguided idea that the reason for the loss of coverage for UND hockey was for the benefit of the other sports..... where do you come up with this stuff?

What was done to the hockey program for the good of the rest of the sports?

i apologize as I was too generic in my response. The only point I am inferring here is the deal that everyone is referencing with MidCo, and how great it is to see an increase in football, basketball, etc. coverage. Because of that we should not complain about the REGIONAL hockey coverage by MidCo due to the dissolving of FTA because of that deal. I realize the CBSSN deal is the cause for the loss of FCS national coverage, but that could have been dealt with much better by our athletic department and we should have used our leverage to accomplish that. I would also like to know how much the video coverage of football and basketball by America One (Big Sky licensed) has had to do with the slow response to getting a better video feed on UND Sports for the hockey games.

Appreciate you calling me out on that as I was a little zealous in my comment.

i apologize as I was too generic in my response. The only point I am inferring here is the deal that everyone is referencing with MidCo, and how great it is to see an increase in football, basketball, etc. coverage. Because of that we should not complain about the REGIONAL hockey coverage by MidCo due to the dissolving of FTA because of that deal. I realize the CBSSN deal is the cause for the loss of FCS national coverage, but that could have been dealt with much better by our athletic department and we should have used our leverage to accomplish that. I would also like to know how much the video coverage of football and basketball by America One (Big Sky licensed) has had to do with the slow response to getting a better video feed on UND Sports for the hockey games.

Appreciate you calling me out on that as I was a little zealous in my comment.

Why would football and basketball games airing on BigSkyTV have a negative effect on hockey games? UND knows hockey is their bread and butter right now. They aren't going to ignore hockey just because football and basketball are in a decent place, if that's what you're implying.

Why would football and basketball games airing on BigSkyTV have a negative effect on hockey games? UND knows hockey is their bread and butter right now. They aren't going to ignore hockey just because football and basketball are in a decent place, if that's what you're implying.

Well we've been told it was in und's best interest to go with midco for more exposure of all sports. But the midco deal this year is leaving many in the dark who have had access to und sports in past years.

Well we've been told it was in und's best interest to go with midco for more exposure of all sports. But the midco deal this year is leaving many in the dark who have had access to und sports in past years.

KSSioux stated:

I would also like to know how much the video coverage of football and basketball by America One (Big Sky licensed) has had to do with the slow response to getting a better video feed on UND Sports for the hockey games.

I was asking how the coverage of football and basketball by America One would affect UND's response to fixing the internet feed for the hockey games. After re-reading what I had written the first time, I realize it wasn't very clear.

Actually, this is an issue on our end that we are currently trying to solve. Without getting into the logistics of the issue, the long and the short of it is when we webcast from the Alerus, we do not have a way to pull the HD feed for streaming like we can at REA. But we ARE working on possible solutions and there is a chance it could be rectified as early as this week. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks Jayson.

Actually, this is an issue on our end that we are currently trying to solve. Without getting into the logistics of the issue, the long and the short of it is when we webcast from the Alerus, we do not have a way to pull the HD feed for streaming like we can at REA. But we ARE working on possible solutions and there is a chance it could be rectified as early as this week. Will keep everyone posted.

Thank you for the update. The FCS feed on Saturday was the worst UND production I have ever seen (just an honest observation). Makes sense since the week before the production was great. I have faith you guys will find a fix. Thanks again.

Thank you for the update. The FCS feed on Saturday was the worst UND production I have ever seen (just an honest observation). Makes sense since the week before the production was great. I have faith you guys will find a fix. Thanks again.

We're aware FCS viewers were "treated" to just a single camera angle for most of the first quarter (Midco and web viewers reported no such problem). I'm not exactly sure what went wrong there, but when we became aware and went down to the production truck to look into it, those folks were already trying to fix the problem. It is my understanding that it was rectified for the final three quarters, although that's obviously one too few.

I've never worked in television production and would not want to speculate as to how the FCS feed could end up with just one of the camera angles, but maybe Southpaw could shed some light.

Either way, we appreciate the patience shown by our FCS viewers during that first quarter. Hopefully that never happens again.

• Upvote 2

We're aware FCS viewers were "treated" to just a single camera angle for most of the first quarter (Midco and web viewers reported no such problem). I'm not exactly sure what went wrong there, but when we became aware and went down to the production truck to look into it, those folks were already trying to fix the problem. It is my understanding that it was rectified for the final three quarters, although that's obviously one too few.

I've never worked in television production and would not want to speculate as to how the FCS feed could end up with just one of the camera angles, but maybe Southpaw could shed some light.

Either way, we appreciate the patience shown by our FCS viewers during that first quarter. Hopefully that never happens again.

Whatever works. I just love that they have been on Directv, period.