SiouxSports.com Forum

Curse of the old Ralph finally gone?

geaux_sioux

Not to stop the party, but I don't think UND has the leadership this year to make the frozen four.

I really don't think a team knows who its leaders are until they start working with each other. Leaders emerge, they aren't anointed in my opinion.

I'm just saying, I don't this is a cor like last season with Kristo, Andrew, and Corban and it is no were close to the star team of seniors a few years back. UND will need a group effort. Anything is possible. Good goal tending is a must late though.

UND's 1997 team looked like it lacked experience and leadership too...

That team came out of nowhere to win it all. Wasn't a team full of superstars. Just a great team that gelled and worked hard together. The team with the best players sometimes doesn't finish on top. As Sioux hockey fans, we are all to aware of that. This year could be a different team where it is not relying so much on a few top end players, but a team that realys on every single player and plays great hockey as a team. Much like 1997 and 2000.

• Upvote 1

That team came out of nowhere to win it all. Wasn't a team full of superstars. Just a great team that gelled and worked hard together. The team with the best players sometimes doesn't finish on top. As Sioux hockey fans, we are all to aware of that. This year could be a different team where it is not relying so much on a few top end players, but a team that realys on every single player and plays great hockey as a team. Much like 1997 and 2000.

Somebody's paying attention! My favorite Sioux team of all-time. They reminded me of a team I saw last post-season but I can't remember who...oh, yea...

http://www.uscho.com...ctober-1,-2012/

You'll find Yale in the 'also receiving votes' for the top twenty section with 6.

• Upvote 1

Welp....I guess this season is lost already then....I mean with no leadership well then.......my goodness.

I can only assume the poster of this spends his days and nights with this and most all championship teams to make such a profound and accurate sociollogical prediction of future social team dynamics.

Good lord lets just count out the 2019 Twins too while were at it cause Joes knees may tired and his kids will be in 1st grade and that will hurt his locker room presence.

Season not yet started and the loser of the year post entries are piling up.

Welp....I guess this season is lost already then....I mean with no leadership well then.......my goodness.

I can only assume the poster of this spends his days and nights with this and most all championship teams to make such a profound and accurate sociollogical prediction of future social team dynamics.

Good lord lets just count out the 2019 Twins too while were at it cause Joes knees may tired and his kids will be in 1st grade and that will hurt his locker room presence.

Season not yet started and the loser of the year post entries are piling up.

I agree. UND just can't compete with the UMass-Lowells, Quinnipiacs and Yales of today's hockey world... :lol:

Sorry Wilbur. To be honest, one of my favorite memories of the old arena was the coach. Yes Dean has been away from Grand Forks for a while, but when I was little it was his building of teamwork that made me a big fan. Even now I see past time players like the Panzers and Lee Goren as my role models.

• Upvote 1

Sorry Wilbur. To be honest, one of my favorite memories of the old arena was the coach. Yes Dean has been away from Grand Forks for a while, but when I was little it was his building of teamwork that made me a big fan. Even now I see past time players like the Panzers and Lee Goren as my role models.

Don't apologize. This is a message board where opinions are shared. Some are mature enough to agree to disagree on some points and then move on. Others hold a personal vendetta and never let it go. I was just giving Brian some crap....we go way back....well kind of way back.

Quick favorite old Ralph deano moment: After they sweep the gophs there is a skirmish on the ice, and somehow someway Dean gets a stick on the bench while the officials are trying to get players off the ice and gives the crowd a stick salute. Classic Deano.

As a little boy, running from by the park to the rink in thirty below with my dad. Archie, the Farce, wars with Wisconsin, wars with Minnesota, dead rodents, the Hrkac Circus, in heaven there is no beer, the concourse thick with cigarette smoke- what a place it was for me in the 80's

Hey troll, I was hoping to read your favorite old Ralph moment, but I guess when you're too busy trolling memories aren't the first thing that come to mind. :p

Haha.

My favorite memory...hard to say that I have one specific moment, it was more just the collection of a great couple of years of Sioux hockey really. I started college the last two years at the Old Ralph and lived in a house just on the other side of the EERC building...just a stones throw away from the arena. Looking forward to every home Fri/Sat night, waiting in line in the cold, watching some Panzer domination...ignoring my less hockey-frantic friends that wanted to leave at the end of the 2nd period because the Sioux were already up by 4 and making them stay until the end so we could see the salute. That was pre-USCHO gang, of course. I remember biking around campus at night and then stopping by the arena to find the door that was unlocked (there was always at least one) so I could walk around the concourse at like 11pm all by myself. Check out the All-American wall and the puck wall... Every now and then bringing my bike in too and biking around the concourse...that concrete was polished and slick! It was a weird feeling being in there completely alone (I'm sure there was someone else there...but I never heard/saw them).

I loved that building. Being born and growing up in GF...going to games since I was a little kid with my dad...it just felt like home. I still have a 1983 NCAA Championship t-shirt that was hosted at the Old Ralph...I went to those games with my dad when I was 4 years old and now my little girl wears it too. I do really like the new arena and I know it brings a ton to the team in regards to national acclaim and recruiting advantages, but it has always had a different feel to it. It's really sad to see it torn down...I know it hasn't been used in years, but still sad. It will be weird driving by next time I am visiting the folks in GF and not seeing it there.

That may have been the post of the year Brian.....jerk.... :lol:

My dad worked for the NBC affiliate in North Dakota that aired the high school hockey tournament. Every year he worked the tournament I got to go down in the locker room area (never saw the Sioux locker room open though...grrr..). Sometimes we would just walk around the rink after everyone had left as well either Friday after the semis or the championship on Saturday. Lots of memories in that place. One time we swore we were being followed....and we were.....Kauker..... :p