SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2013

geaux_sioux

Jameer Jackson was a Freshman All American last year. Kenny Golladay is going to light up the league at 6'5", but that is potential, like you said. RJ McGill is a senior who has played all four years. They are loaded.

Sidenote: How awful are the WR's in the Missouri Valley? Ryan Smith was First Team - are they joking? Goes back to something I read about Marcus William's and if he has EVER been tested by a good WR. Obviously not in the MVFC but maybe in the playoffs?

(I am strictly talking about WR's, I understand the rest of the position groups are pretty damn good).

How much of that is a by-product of playing in a league that emphasizes offense rather than defense?

Sidenote: They aren't awful. Nothing to brag about I don't think though. Different leagues, different recruiting philosophies.

How much of that is a by-product of playing in a league that emphasizes offense rather than defense?

Sidenote: They aren't awful. Nothing to brag about I don't think though. Different leagues, different recruiting philosophies.

Sorry Johnboy, if Ryan Smith is the best receiver in your league, your WR's are awful.

But, like I said earlier, other positions are loaded. Like OL and DL and LB.

Sorry Johnboy, if Ryan Smith is the best receiver in your league, your WR's are awful.

If that were true, I would agree that the WR's aren't special in the MVFC. But I don't believe Ryan is the best the MVFC has to offer. I'm a huge fan of Ryan's, there's never been any doubt about that if you follow my posts on bisonville, but I would argue he isn't even the best on NDSU's roster. Zach Vraa, is a more well rounded receiver than Ryan IMO.

I think this is one of those deals that he is the leading receiver on the best team in the league, in a league that doesn't have any returning receivers that you can't leave off the list.

I am interested in the RB battle myself as we need this to greatly improved to achieve balance and take some pressure off our freshman QBs. Miller, Garman, Sparks, Shaugs, Varner, and i'll even throw Baker in here as well, someone here needs to step up and be a big time back.

Not really sure why Baker isn't ringing a bell....... could you refresh my memory?

If that were true, I would agree that the WR's aren't special in the MVFC. But I don't believe Ryan is the best the MVFC has to offer. I'm a huge fan of Ryan's, there's never been any doubt about that if you follow my posts on bisonville, but I would argue he isn't even the best on NDSU's roster. Zach Vraa, is a more well rounded receiver than Ryan IMO.

I think this is one of those deals that he is the leading receiver on the best team in the league, in a league that doesn't have any returning receivers that you can't leave off the list.

Smith is a good player but he's no McGill in the slot. He's a better return man than WR. Vraa on the other hand is very solid. If he had better bone integrity he'd put up nice numbers. I've heard Woods is looking good and Grey has been a disappointment so far.

But, like I said earlier, other positions are loaded. Like OL and DL and LB.

I don't know anyone who thinks Ryan Smith is the best receiver. I like how Bison06 put it.

Can I get a feel for why most feel like UND has the best WR corp in the NATION?

Hardin is solid and is proven, but the rest are just potential at this point. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like a bold statement to make and to say that is a concensus...I just don't see it...yet.

Here is my take on North Dakota's Receivers:

You are right, that alot of our optimism is based on potential. Hardin is of course a proven upperclassmen, an All-American, and most objective FCS fans would probably agree that he is at the very least one of the of 5 best receivers in the country. IMO, he has easily surpassed any former wide receiver to ever suit up for the Sioux, and there have been some good ones. I personally think that his 3 seasons here have been better than any WR to come through our doors.

Having said that, I'm not sure he is even the best wide receiver on our team.

Jameer Jackson is a physical specimen. He was recognized as one of the best freshman in the nation for a reason last year. So not only does Hardin have the accolades, but so does Jackson. That kid is good, runs precise routes, has excellent hands, taller and stronger than all of the DB's that will be covering him.

Kenny Golladay is the "under the radar" guy that everybody is salivating about. That kid is a freak. He towers over every defender, is uber-athletic, and has the best hands of anybody on the team. If he is here and healthy for all 4 years, his career will go down as something special.

Even our 4th and 5th receivers this season who will be Townsend and McGill, they probably even have better hands than Hardin.

So anyways, that is my take. It may be bold to say North Dakota has the best receiving corps in the nation, but as someone who has seen every ball thrown to our top 5 receivers during their careers, I think that it is an argument that could be made.

The biggest question is do we have a guy that can throw the ball to them?

Here is my take on North Dakota's Receivers:

You are right, that alot of our optimism is based on potential. Hardin is of course a proven upperclassmen, an All-American, and most objective FCS fans would probably agree that he is at the very least one of the of 5 best receivers in the country. IMO, he has easily surpassed any former wide receiver to ever suit up for the Sioux, and there have been some good ones. I personally think that his 3 seasons here have been better than any WR to come through our doors.

Having said that, I'm not sure he is even the best wide receiver on our team.

Jameer Jackson is a physical specimen. He was recognized as one of the best freshman in the nation for a reason last year. So not only does Hardin have the accolades, but so does Jackson. That kid is good, runs precise routes, has excellent hands, taller and stronger than all of the DB's that will be covering him.

Kenny Golladay is the "under the radar" guy that everybody is salivating about. That kid is a freak. He towers over every defender, is uber-athletic, and has the best hands of anybody on the team. If he is here and healthy for all 4 years, his career will go down as something special.

Even our 4th and 5th receivers this season who will be Townsend and McGill, they probably even have better hands than Hardin.

So anyways, that is my take. It may be bold to say North Dakota has the best receiving corps in the nation, but as someone who has seen every ball thrown to our top 5 receivers during their careers, I think that it is an argument that could be made.

The biggest question is do we have a guy that can throw the ball to them?

I think people are forgetting how good McGill is. He was our #2 WR going into last season and was a first down machine before he tore his ACL. He's an all conference type of player at least.

Any thoughts on where JJ Robertson fits in to the picture? Will he buried in the depth chart and not get a chance to get on the field?

Any thoughts on where JJ Robertson fits in to the picture? Will he buried in the depth chart and not get a chance to get on the field?

I actually forgot about him. I don't know his situation, but it makes me feel good about our depth chart that potentially our 6th WR was at one time a scholarship Big 10 player................

I heard he may have some grade issues. Wouldn't count on him this fall. Hope I am wrong but.....

I actually forgot about him. I don't know his situation, but it makes me feel good about our depth chart that potentially our 6th WR was at one time a scholarship Big 10 player................

I just hope out QB's have the accuracy and power to hit our WR's or else it's wasted talent.

There is a good chance that injuries of some kind will affect how the depth chart will play out. Having great depth at the position will help keep the production level high as long as the QBs can keep up.

I think people are forgetting how good McGill is. He was our #2 WR going into last season and was a first down machine before he tore his ACL. He's an all conference type of player at least.

I don't at all forget about R.J..................

Very talented player, quick and explosive, runs great routes, and has very soft hands. He was a huge contributor as a freshman and sophomore. Unfortunately, I see him getting lost in the shuffle for his senior season. That injury last season is going to bury him behind Jackson and Golladay.

Let's also not forget about Casey Young or Tyhre Ivery. Both of those guys would have had the potential to be top 2 or 3 receivers at a great number of FCS schools. I don't know who does it, but somebody at North Dakota has been very good at recruiting quality wide receivers...................

As we learned last year. Points don't win games on thier own. The progress of the defense is much more important this fall then the talent of the receiving corps.

I think with a new coach and attitude along with the influx of the redshirt freshman will help. Labat, Rich, Edwards, Cain, Konowalski will be names to watch on the redshirt freshman side to get into the rotation.

Let's also not forget about Casey Young or Tyhre Ivery. Both of those guys would have had the potential to be top 2 or 3 receivers at a great number of FCS schools. I don't know who does it, but somebody at North Dakota has been very good at recruiting quality wide receivers...................

I'm hoping Tyhre will be an impact player in the secondary this year.