SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League could take over NCHC to survive?

SiouxVolley

28 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This is from a national media guy who covers our niche (not a hockey guy).  I messaged him about the Summit Hockey tweet:
image.png.ad4cf788895084b83236b0bdc53501d5.png

u can't spell FBS without the letters H.U.G.E

Is the CCHA going to MAC - UMass, BG, Miami and WMU are all currently playing D I - Hockey.  And at one time Kent St., Ohio U had hockey programs.

With the NCHC going to the SL - UNO, UND, StT and Denver.

This would give hockey a seat at the table as they say with Big 10, SL and MAC.  Right now the only voice is the Big 10 and do they really care about hockey?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This is from a national media guy who covers our niche (not a hockey guy).  I messaged him about the Summit Hockey tweet:

Matt Brown?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Is the CCHA going to MAC - UMass, BG, Miami and WMU are all currently playing D I - Hockey.  And at one time Kent St., Ohio U had hockey programs.

With the NCHC going to the SL - UNO, UND, StT and Denver.

This would give hockey a seat at the table as they say with Big 10, SL and MAC.  Right now the only voice is the Big 10 and do they really care about hockey?

interesting idea of both ccha and nchc merge with existing conferences.......

47 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Tennessee State and Lindenwood - Nashville and St. Louis markets - Basketball, Football and Hockey schools?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FSSD said:

Tennessee State and Lindenwood - Nashville and St. Louis markets - Basketball, Football and Hockey schools?

heck at this point who knows if scsu, duluth, and cc (d2/d3) even make the cut if you can add TSU, Lindy, and St Thomas if this happens.

nashville, st louis, and TC versus stearsn county, duluth, and a small d3 school/market in cs, co

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

heck at this point who knows if scsu, duluth, and cc (d2/d3) even make the cut if you can add TSU, Lindy, and St Thomas if this happens.

nashville, st louis, and TC versus stearsn county, duluth, and a small d3 school/market in cs, co

I highly doubt hockey membership changes significantly.  

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Zero reason they couldn't all be affiliates.  Hockey could theoretically operate with separate books for the most part. 

I feel this would be the pathway, besides Fenton being at the Summit may want to bring them in. But I feel like there was a closely affiliated league in the past with the WAC(?) or something of that matter where in some fashions they were considered one entity but in others they were not. MVFC and SL has a semi agreement this way as well.  Might be along the lines of giving priority for acceptance to Summit League teams and allow them not to worry about if they started hockey what conference they would be in. Mankato, Bemidji, and Duluth do not want to go D1 outside of hockey. I believe the MN university system forbids any other instate public university from having D1 football in competition with UMN similar to a reason UNO had to drop FB when going D1 to not have affect on Huskers football even if FBS and FCS being different.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I highly doubt hockey membership changes significantly.  

I could see Miami and WMU being on way out or swapping. WMU is decent in the league as a quality program. Miami has been down for a few years after a couple of strong seasons and believe they would like to cut down on travel. 

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Given that the NCHC talks are happening at the same time as the Midco/CCHA negotiations, I'm guessing all the cards are on the table.  Just a guess, but Midco will probably know what's happening with UST/CCHA and Summit League hockey before a Midco/CCHA deal is signed.  

The NCHC hockey schools could still put a cubbosh on the idea of Summit League hockey, as they did last summer.

The last time this subject came up, the Hockey coaches were against it. So, it may not happen. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The last time this subject came up, the Hockey coaches were against it. So, it may not happen. 

How much do those coaches trust the Big 10 to be the voice of college hockey?

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Goon said:

I forgot to ask, when did this come up with coaches?  Approximate year

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

look on miami u's presidents/ad face at these meetings when the idea of kicking out underperforming members from the nchc

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952hfld47xik266r5wa16d

You know why you don't do that?

A. You make enemies.
B. Someday it might be you. 

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

One year ago. There was no interest. 

there was some interest...just not enough to gain momentum.....

this year is different....the midco news is tied to the rumors of MAYBE something happening

Remember when the WCHA name was so powerful and the breakup was catastrophic?  Then, the NCHC was created and became so powerful.  

Rinse, repeat.  The NCHC is nothing without it's programs.  The name itself means nothing.  

• Upvote 1

i would also suggest to fenton that if and when the major shift happens that the The Summit League name/moniker is retired and  something new is born or created...SL is kinda knows as a revolving door and a totally fresh start that sounds more collegial would be something to look at

ex. a=GMC 

confernece or car company?

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Tried that going from Mid-Con to Summit. Hasn't really helped.
Then again, neither has being named the PAC-12, B1G, Big 12, SEC, ACC, etc....

bring back the ncc (in name)...it actually works