SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League could take over NCHC to survive?

SiouxVolley

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Kab said:

Don’t need summit doing this, wouldn’t end well for nchc 

The NCAA doesn't favor single-sport conferences. You don't get a seat at some tables. B1G gets a seat; ECAC gets a seat; HEA and NCHC do not. The Summit (multi-sport) would solve this. 

Yes, the NCHC worries they'd be behind BB in the league office but money talks and UND, DU, and UNO hockey have loud voices. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Summit merging the NCHC might force UST into leaving the CCHA. That hurts the TV value of the CCHA (no MSP). 

And it helps the Summit League with multiple sports in MSP, Denver and Omaha.  Phoenix for hockey and KC and Tulsa for basketball.

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

TV markets. Recruiting. Alumni outreach. 

UST in SL(H) is good for SL and not so for CCHA. 

But were you saying that will make a meaningful difference to the CCHA deal?  I think market size makes a bigger difference to the Summit/NCHC than it does the CCHA, where it is pretty much irrelevant.  I wasn't trying to be a dick, just seemed like a really vague comment.  

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

But were you saying that will make a meaningful difference to the CCHA deal?  I think market size makes a bigger difference to the Summit/NCHC than it does the CCHA, where it is pretty much irrelevant.  I wasn't trying to be a dick, just seemed like a really vague comment.  

I'd rather UST be part of the SL and not part of CCHA deal. Better fiscally for SL and no SL makes CCHA less media valuable (no MSP). 

Where would this leave ASU, surely they wouldn't just join summit for hockey. Does this mean they are going to add UMD and St. Cloud too? I understand it’s all talk at this point. Just some initial thoughts. 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd rather UST be part of the SL and not part of CCHA deal. Better fiscally for SL and no SL makes CCHA less media valuable (no MSP). 

Given that the NCHC talks are happening at the same time as the Midco/CCHA negotiations, I'm guessing all the cards are on the table.  Just a guess, but Midco will probably know what's happening with UST/CCHA and Summit League hockey before a Midco/CCHA deal is signed.  

The NCHC hockey schools could still put a cubbosh on the idea of Summit League hockey, as they did last summer.

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Where would this leave ASU, surely they wouldn't just join summit for hockey. Does this mean they are going to add UMD and St. Cloud too? I understand it’s all talk at this point. Just some initial thoughts. 

Zero reason they couldn't all be affiliates.  Hockey could theoretically operate with separate books for the most part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Zero reason they couldn't all be affiliates.  Hockey could theoretically operate with separate books for the most part. 

I mean isn’t that what we are doing now to some degree. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I mean isn’t that what we are doing now to some degree. 

Essentially.  I don't think it's necessary for hockey operations to change in a meaninful way in order for the SL to add hockey.

In being affiliated with the SL, the hockey schools would benefit by having more input at the NCAA governance level.  They would also save overhead expenses and have more support at the conference office, as the SL has much more staff.

The SL would benefit because it would help to stabilize the league, as it would be another Men's team sport to satisfy the NCAA's membership requirements for all sports conferences.  Could also potentially help the league retain UST, UNO, or Denver, in the event another conference comes calling.  Would also help to improve the leagues image.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Leave St Cloud in the dust. Only accept the MN teams that want to be a true D1 athletic department 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Where else would ASU go? ASU wanted in to the NCHC more than any other landing spot. Where else would ASU rather go?

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Leave St Cloud in the dust. Only accept the MN teams that want to be a true D1 athletic department 

My dream: drop SCSU and Miami for UST and Mankato (not sure about FB, but probably best if Mankato dropped it).

• Like 1