SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League could take over NCHC to survive?

SiouxVolley

I saw SL and stuck it here without starting a new one or going further back. Oh well.

Gotcha... I feel like a dick now, because I didn't notice that this was an old thread - thought siouxvolley created this one today, while the Summit is stable.  

Lakes is pumped because of the KC market, too bad they only care about KU and Mizzou and not UMKC.

Kansas City wants the Mizzou KU feud to end so they can have the rivalry games in football and basketball there like when Mizzou and Illinois play each other in St. Louis.

Sooo... What was the point of UMKC moving to the WAC if they were just going to go back to summit.

It was all part of Douple's master plan.

Actually I think that the WAC offered UMKC some incentives to jump ship and it didn't work out as they had planned.

MBB for UMKC

2013-14:  10-20  (7-9 WAC)

2012-13: 8-24  (5-11 SL)

In 27 seasons of DI basketball 328-455 .419   or 12 wins a season on average.

Most wins in a season 18  in 2001-02 season  18-11. Last winning season 2010-11 16-14

First game for UND joining DI in 2008 was at UMKC....UND won 61-56.

Just a little info on the Kangaroos.

Sooo... What was the point of UMKC moving to the WAC if they were just going to go back to summit.

Obviously they missed being called Kansas City vs UMKC.  The WAC said why would we do that and so they took off for the Slummit.  Some of you are over thinking this..

UND now has to be concerned that there will not be a WAC home for baseball and M/W swimming, as losing UMKC would mean the WAC is down to seven members (and only six are full DI members - Grand Canyon is still transitioning).  Swimming can probably find a home in the Mountain Pacific Federation, but baseball would be sluck in the Slummit.  Oral Roberts returning to the Slummit saved it, as the Slummit got the six baseball members it had to have.  The Slummit is a revolving door conference, that is for sure.  Every year that passes, their memberships changes by one school based on historical averages.

• Upvote 1

no conference for baseball no problem..drop it and add lacrosse!

I would agree.  But currently there is no league that UND could join for lacrosse either.  If some PAC12 and MWC school start lax, that would change the whole equation.  Denver is in the Big East for lax, and Air Force is in a smaller East Coast Conference.

I would agree.  But currently there is no league that UND could join for lacrosse either.  If some PAC12 and MWC school start lax, that would change the whole equation.  Denver is in the Big East for lax, and Air Force is in a smaller East Coast Conference.

Denver is in the ECAC for Lacrosse.

Without having football, guess the fear is that DU would pour money into basketball and dominate Montana and Weber St (so those two probably very much opposed changing the rules).

Denver spends as much or more on Hockey than Montana does on FCS Football.  It would be a wash, so I don't understand what the problem would be with Montana.

Denver spends as much or more on Hockey than Montana does on FCS Football.  It would be a wash, so I don't understand what the problem would be with Montana.

Stupid move by Fullerton.  He single handedly made sure that the Summit would both have life, and that the BSC would be buried below them in the Basketball standings by saying NO to Denver.   The Summit will be perenniel top half 16 of 32 conference with Denver & ORU in the fold.

Stupid move by Fullerton.  He single handedly made sure that the Summit would both have life, and that the BSC would be buried below them in the Basketball standings by saying NO to Denver.   The Summit will be perenniel top half 16 of 32 conference with Denver & ORU in the fold.

Easy to say when your in a conference without football.   :silly:

• Upvote 2

Just remember you are regaining basketball powerhouse UMKC...oh sorry as Douple would say Kansas City.

It might have been schools like No Col and Weber St that objected to Denver and Seattle.  Certainly someone did, and the Big Sky intended the WAC to survive.  Denver hated the idea of GCU in the WAC, so it left.  Denver might say they spend all kinds of money on lacrosse, but much of that is for scholarships and DU might just be waiving the cost of 40k tuitions.   The coaches pay, equipment, and travel are certainly real dollars.

If the Big Sky splits into FBS and FCS, I'd like to see Denver and Seattle in the FBS Big Sky.  That would help for BB markets and keep Denver close at hand for hockey.  Denver preferred the Big Sky to the Summit, and if the Big Sky jettisons the most of teachers colleges that's all the better.

FBS Big Sky 

UC Davis - Sac St

Portland St - Seattle

EWU - Idaho

Montana - Montana St

UND - NDSU

Denver - Cal Poly

The WAC can have Idaho St, Weber St, SUU, NAU, and UNC to go with GCU, UVU, Bakersfield, and UTRGV.

It might have been schools like No Col and Weber St that objected to Denver and Seattle. Certainly someone did, and the Big Sky intended the WAC to survive. Denver hated the idea of GCU in the WAC, so it left. Denver might say they spend all kinds of money on lacrosse, but much of that is for scholarships and DU might just be waiving the cost of 40k tuitions. The coaches pay, equipment, and travel are certainly real dollars.

If the Big Sky splits into FBS and FCS, I'd like to see Denver and Seattle in the FBS Big Sky. That would help for BB markets and keep Denver close at hand for hockey. Denver preferred the Big Sky to the Summit, and if the Big Sky jettisons the most of teachers colleges that's all the better.

FBS Big Sky

UC Davis - Sac St

Portland St - Seattle

EWU - Idaho

Montana - Montana St

UND - NDSU

Denver - Cal Poly

The WAC can have Idaho St, Weber St, SUU, NAU, and UNC to go with GCU, UVU, Bakersfield, and UTRGV.

UTRGV??