SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy or Sell 2013

sioux24/7

To answer your question, I believe that Mussman would have been gone after last season if he were at NDSU. It makes sense to ride someone out through the transition, but to get blown out by the class of the Big Sky like that, would not have been acceptable. IMO.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Bohl went 6-5 without a bad loss but then followed it up with a pretty awful 3-8 season that included a non-competitive FBS game, giving up 48 to a sub-.500 Sam Houston team, and 2-touchdown losses to your biggest rivals in back to back weeks. I know Bohl had a good amount of equity built up from the Great West days but those are two pretty bad seasons in NDSU's first two years in the Valley. But then he followed that up with a deep playoff run with a freshman quarterback. Show me a Bison fan who saw that coming and I'll show you a liar.

I'm not yet 100% sold on Muss but I've seen enough good things to at least give him another year in the Big Sky. If we don't see an improvement this year I'll start hearing arguments for a coaching change but I'm not ready to do that just yet. Plus, I think Kotelnicki will be a big improvement as DC. I don't think Mannasau was a great defensive mind and lacked aggressiveness and fire. I think Kotelnicki changes that and we see a big step forward for the defense this year.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Bohl went 6-5 without a bad loss but then followed it up with a pretty awful 3-8 season that included a non-competitive FBS game, giving up 48 to a sub-.500 Sam Houston team, and 2-touchdown losses to your biggest rivals in back to back weeks. I know Bohl had a good amount of equity built up from the Great West days but those are two pretty bad seasons in NDSU's first two years in the Valley. But then he followed that up with a deep playoff run with a freshman quarterback. Show me a Bison fan who saw that coming and I'll show you a liar.

I'm not yet 100% sold on Muss but I've seen enough good things to at least give him another year in the Big Sky. If we don't see an improvement this year I'll start hearing arguments for a coaching change but I'm not ready to do that just yet. Plus, I think Kotelnicki will be a big improvement as DC. I don't think Mannasau was a great defensive mind and lacked aggressiveness and fire. I think Kotelnicki changes that and we see a big step forward for the defense this year.

http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=45&path=football

http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=46&path=football

UNI is our biggest rival now, they weren't at the time. So the fans didn't have an emotional attachment to winning that game. All that aside. I watched every game from that season and we played well in every single game apart from Iowa State and UNI. Those were winnable games that were lost IMO because of lack of talent at the QB position. Anyway that's off topic.

Just saying, there is a difference between getting blown out by the best 2 teams in the conference and playing competitive games and coming out on the losing end.

I think if Mussman was in Fargo he would have been gone after this past season if not the one before.

http://www.gobison.c...5&path=football

http://www.gobison.c...6&path=football

UNI is our biggest rival now, they weren't at the time. So the fans didn't have an emotional attachment to winning that game. All that aside. I watched every game from that season and we played well in every single game apart from Iowa State and UNI. Those were winnable games that were lost IMO because of lack of talent at the QB position. Anyway that's off topic.

Just saying, there is a difference between getting blown out by the best 2 teams in the conference and playing competitive games and coming out on the losing end.

I think if Mussman was in Fargo he would have been gone after this past season if not the one before.

I agree, even in the bad Bohl seasons, the Bison were in those games and were at least in position to maybe win....and he had recently proven he could put together teams that were more than capable of winning. Mussman has provided UND fans with mediocrity.

I think the cupboard was left a lot more bare when Muss took the reins than most people realized. Top that off with going into transition and the nickname issue doesn't lead to a lot of success. I think he has a year or two left to prove himself, especially now that there is no other "excuses" but time is running much shorter.

It's not lack of talent that is the problem, it's coaching decisions. Remember the play calling when Muss decided to go for it on 4th and 1 rather than just kicking a field goal to win the game?
  • Upvote 2

It's not lack of talent that is the problem, it's coaching decisions. Remember the play calling when Muss decided to go for it on 4th and 1 rather than just kicking a field goal to win the game?

Remember Tom Osborne going for it on 4th down against Miami in the national title game?

One of Muss's biggest weaknesses is game management, especially clock management

• Upvote 2

Are you talking about the 50+ yard field goal at Northern Colorado last season?

The loss to Sioux Falls gets brought up alot. That was ugly and embarassing, no way around it.

South Dakota St. had an ugly and embarassing loss to a DIII school in one of their early transition years. I wonder how many Jackrabbit fans think they'd be better off without Stiegelmeier as head coach right now?

First, they aren't remotely the same decisions

Second, how did it work out for him?

I think the point is basically that hindsight is 20/20.

Mussman consistently gets ripped here for being too conservative for things like punting near mid-field and kneeling before the half. We've had 5 years of him being criticized for stuff like that, but then when he finally goes for it for once on 4th and 1 (unsuccessfully) against UNC last year instead of trying a 53 yard field goal to end the game, everyone changes their tune and says he should have kicked it. Against Northern Illinois a couple years ago, he went for it of 4th and goal from the one in the first half and didn't make it. Everyone seems to forget bold calls like that.

• Upvote 2

Most of the critics of Mussman on this board don't mention lack of talent on the team as a major reason for the team's lack of success. In fact, it's just the opposite. Most posters on this board believe that UND is more talented than NDSU at most positions. So why is recruiting being brought up as a reason the team hasn't had success?

If people think UND is more talented than NDSU they are delusional. The only position UND has a clear and major advantage would be WR. NDSU would own both sides of the LOS against UND right now.

I think the point is basically that hindsight is 20/20.

Mussman consistently gets ripped here for being too conservative for things like punting near mid-field and kneeling before the half. We've had 5 years of him being criticized for stuff like that, but then when he finally goes for it for once on 4th and 1 (unsuccessfully) against UNC last year instead of trying a 53 yard field goal to end the game, everyone changes their tune and says he should have kicked it. Against Northern Illinois a couple years ago, he went for it of 4th and goal from the one in the first half and didn't make it. Everyone seems to forget bold calls like that.

I remember Lennon making some gutsy calls and most worked out so everyone loved him, but if doesn't work out he's the goat. It seems to me a lot of fans here want Muss to be the goat no matter what he does. Hell, people (fans I guess) want Hak fired almost every year.

Buy or Sell: (my attempt to get this thread back on track)

UND had 9210 at the Potato Bowl game last year (vs PSU), UND will have MORE than that at the Potato Bowl game vs SDSU.

Buy. That'll be the first time we crack 10,000 in quite some time. The Potato Bowl is always a well attended game and having a familiar opponent should help. Plus, season ticket sales are trending up from last year. Hopefully the boys show us some fireworks against Valpo and we can build some buzz in the week leading up to the game.

Buy or sell: Someone who doesn't play wide receiver makes 1st team All-Big Sky

Buy or Sell: (my attempt to get this thread back on track)

UND had 9210 at the Potato Bowl game last year (vs PSU), UND will have MORE than that at the Potato Bowl game vs SDSU.

Buy for sure, SDSU is a name that the casual fan can identify with. I am hoping to see at least 11,000 for that one.

Buy or Sell: The new white jerseys will be a totally new design than what we currently have?

Buy. That'll be the first time we crack 10,000 in quite some time. The Potato Bowl is always a well attended game and having a familiar opponent should help. Plus, season ticket sales are trending up from last year. Hopefully the boys show us some fireworks against Valpo and we can build some buzz in the week leading up to the game.

Buy or sell: Someone who doesn't play wide receiver makes 1st team All-Big Sky

Buy: Garrison Goodman has a breakout year. I am feeling bold today.