SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy or Sell 2013

sioux24/7

UND needs another Dan Hendrickson type LB to make plays and lead the defense. Buy or sell we currently have someone capable of that on the current roster. If so name them.

I worry that in our entheusiasm for the new season we have overestimated the improvement that we will see in the defense. We were physically manhandled last year and I am not sure that our young talent can bridge that gap so quickly. I sure hope so - I think this will be the key to our season.

I worry that in our entheusiasm for the new season we have overestimated the improvement that we will see in the defense. We were physically manhandled last year and I am not sure that our young talent can bridge that gap so quickly. I sure hope so - I think this will be the key to our season.

So you sell?

Buy or sell: Defense worse this season then last based on who we play.

I think statistically they will be better based on the fact that you have the likes of Montana State and Eastern Washington at the Alerus. I'm going to sell it. Nowhere to go but up.

Buy or sell: The defense doesn't miss 1/2 the number of tackles they missed last year?

Yes - put me in for a sell on that one - I wonder how many people are buying?

I think you're misreading the question. I'm wondering if anyone thinks anybody on the roster could fill that role. It could be a freshman or an upperclassman who just comes into their own. I'm not asking if someone is that good right now.

I think you're misreading the question. I'm wondering if anyone thinks anybody on the roster could fill that role. It could be a freshman or an upperclassman who just comes into their own. I'm not asking if someone is that good right now.

As an outsider, our defense was not any good in '09(infamous 3-8 NDSU season), took some big steps forward in '10. Not impossible for UND to do the same, but we also had a huge 2010 class who has become our best class since the mid 80's. Even in 2010 our D was not stellar, took the big step forward in 2011. Anything can happen. Should be another fun season of football!

I think there are several players that could develop into big time defenders. Last year, Garrison Goodman showed glimpses of excellence against the run but he just couldn't stay healthy. If can stay on the field this year, #53 could easily lead the team in tackles. A few younger players who could make an impact and help the defense take a step forward this year are LB Brian Labat, LB Taj Rich, and S Javen Butler. A defensive recruit to look out for is LB Kyle Norberg, the kid who could've walked-on and played fullback at Iowa.

Still sell - I think we are about a year away from that happening, but I think it will happen. You never know, though, it could happen this year - that's the nature of football development. Our defense will depend on many co-mingled factors - do they have a renewed sense of purpose (did they stay in town this summer as a group and get stronger), will they bring back that old nasty attitude, will our schemes allow them to be successful, injuries, momentum from early success - I'm sure others will add more. We know they must be bigger, stronger, and have better fundamentals. I for one really hope they adjust their coverage and tighten it up. Pressure from the line will help make this happen.

• 5 months later...